Which screen ?

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Interested to read the thread re: GS v RT . I pick up my GS this week and after a test ride agree its far more useful everyday than an RT ( had an afternoon test ride sometime ago) . But which is the best way to improve the protection on the GS.

option 1 Givi taller screen

option 2 Touratech screen extension/spolier thingy

option 3 Adventure screen ( probably the most expensive option.

???????

:cool:

I looked at all the options and costs, read all the bits on screens in these forums, and ended up confused. What seems to suit some are awful for others and even comparing the heights of riders is not always easy ( I have relativly short legs and a long body and measure in at 6'2" which probably equates to someone at 6'3" or 4" sat on the bike. I could not get to try all the screens so plumped for one that was not going to break the bank and see how it went. I bought a extra height Givi screen which by luck works well for me, it looks a bit of a strange shape from some angles, has more rake than a standard screen so when on the high adjustment setting suits me, if I lower it I get a lot of buffeting and noise.

So if you can get to try any on someone elses bike do it, if not its like a lot of things in the biking world listen to advise glean what you can and suck it and see.

Cheers

Roger

Rushy,

there are many variables and the main one, as Roger suggests, is the ratio between height and body length. The Advrider site uses the height to inside leg measurement (or inseam) to give riders guidance on how a screen may suit them. They have an excellent guide in their 'Hall of Wisdom', giving pros and cons, as well as user reports on most screens, here's the link.

Personally, I've given up on the Adv screen & am having a MRA Vario fitted....

MikeO:)

Mike O said:

Personally, I've given up on the Adv screen & am having a MRA Vario fitted....

Mike, I read that MRA doesn't make a screen for Adv. Has this changed or are you making some mods to make it work with a GS MRA?

The standard GSA screen is a disgrace and I was thinking of going over to see that crazy Kuhn character to get me some NACA ducts. :p But, if there is a ready made MRA, I think I will go that route. :cool:

Jnr,

All you do is buy the MRA screen and the screen fixings for the standard GS from your BMW dealer. I actually bought the whole kit secondhand from JonBAdventure over here; can't help with part numbers I'm afraid, but your dealer shouldn't have any problem supplying the bits. You need the brackets that fit against the instrument cluster, and the inner and outer adjustable covers.....Get yourself some knurled bolts from Wunderlich to allow you to adjust the lower screen more easily whilst you've got your chequebook out!

Mike O said:
Personally, I've given up on the Adv screen & am having a MRA Vario fitted....MikeO:)
Interesting link Mike - just had a good look.

I think the first thing I would replace on my 1150GS (when I eventually get one) will be the screen. As someone who is tall with short legs (6ft 1" / 31 inseam) I would be interested to know how you get on with the MRA Vario. Keep us posted

Cheers - 6X

Mike O

Great link!!!!:clap

I now have another website to spend hours viewing!!!

Looks like I will have to get an MRA vario soon .
Rushy.

MRA Screen

Rushy - it has to be MRA for adjustability

Attachments

• 2002 r1150 gs - with goodies fitted1.jpg
    2002 r1150 gs - with goodies fitted1.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 421
Take my advice and don't start worrying about the screen / buffeting / noise etc. too much.

FACT - The GS aint the bike for you if you're looking for a quiet ride!! ever since I bought my 03 GSA I've done nothing other than trying to reduce the bloody noise in my helmet!! and after a fantastic scratch yesterday, I finally came to the following conclusions:

1) It's not all about screens or how tall or short you are, the wind direction and it's force etc. are major factors. For instance I noticed that riding on 1 road at 50mph was incredibly noisy whereas turning 90 degrees on to the next road again doing 50mph there was almost no noise at all. All you can hope for by changing screens is to get the noise to a more comfortable level.

2) The MRA definately helps with the buffeting (as will Ricardo's NACA ducts) because they both help to channel the airflow. I'm almost certain that a taller screen with no venting will make things worse - see threads on cutting down standard screens and removing them altogether for more info on how this helps.

3) YOU WILL GET USED TO IT!!! I was really worried that I'd made a big mistake with the GS. It's taken me a month and a set of custom made earplugs (very important) but now I can't wait to get back on the bike again after every ride, I'm like a kid in a candy store.

My advice - ignore the screen to begin with, buy some quality earplugs and a decent lid and ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY this fantastic machine.

Good luck - Richard

But if you do want an MRA I bought one on Sat from Motor Works for £90 they quoted me £100 on the phone then knocked another 10% off ! seems fine for me but I,m only 5'10, the thing was a right pig to put together. They also have a Remus Revalotion titanium for £200 second hand but imaculate, No I,m not on the staff!

beacon said:
the thing was a right pig to put together.

Come to Bakerman's "do" in Andover in June where we'll be taking a pig apart bit by bit. That might help . . .

I just knew someone would mock me! Andover from Leeds just to take a pig apart it,s cheaper to buy a leggo set!

Re: MRA Screen

JohnnyBoxer said:
Rushy - it has to be MRA for adjustability

Very nice GS! I have not seen any red R1150GS's in the US. If I had I may have opted for that color!!

Re: Re: MRA Screen

GSinNC said:
Very nice GS! I have not seen any red R1150GS's in the US. If I had I may have opted for that color!!

Thanks Ed, GSinNC,
Here's another sideways pic-although the sun is bright on the paint.
The colour is a BMW Colour - Marrakesh Red 2 and I thought it was available in USA,but not here in UK.
In the UK it's normally found on the R1100S.
The MRA screen IMHO is one of the best to suit most riders because of it's adjustability.

Attachments

• 2002 r1150 gs - with goodies fitted3.jpg
    2002 r1150 gs - with goodies fitted3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 356
All this “modding” - how about leaving it alone and just riding it instead? 6 years on an 11GS, I know the screen isn’t the best at illegal speeds, but is it really that bad? No its not! If you worried about wind blast buy a PAN. IMHO all aftermarket screens look **** as well.

Re: Re: Re: MRA Screen

JohnnyBoxer said:
Thanks Ed, GSinNC,
Here's another sideways pic-although the sun is bright on the paint.
The colour is a BMW Colour - Marrakesh Red 2 and I thought it was available in USA,but not here in UK.
In the UK it's normally found on the R1100S.
The MRA screen IMHO is one of the best to suit most riders because of it's adjustability.

Hmmm, I know I looked everywhere in the US and could not find a single red GS. The Alpine White was scarce also but there were around. The Mandarin and silver were the hot colors here. Graphitan was around as was the black but not quite as numerous, at least not here on the east coast. I have always had a soft spot for red bikes. My first 2 bikes were burgundy.

Thanks for the tip on the MRA shield. I am running a Cee Baileys shield now and it is better than the stock but still noisy and windy. I may try the MRA before I opt for the barndoor Aeroflow.

Andy Lord said:
All this “modding” - how about leaving it alone and just riding it instead? 6 years on an 11GS, I know the screen isn’t the best at illegal speeds, but is it really that bad? No its not! If you worried about wind blast buy a PAN. IMHO all aftermarket screens look **** as well.

You're dead right, Andy...........
I had a 1100GS for 3 years and 35,000 and I never felt the need to modify it (with the exception of swapping the seat for a Corbin and a front mudflap).
However with 2 1150GS's - I've never modified a bike more :- Screen,Shocks,Colour Change,Exhaust Can............etc........etc.

Plus the build quality and finish is poorer,but it's a GS and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom