Pannier weight limts?

dr.jekyll

I have the BMW panniers and top box that came with my 2002 F650GS which are quite good. However they have quite a low weight limit i.e. no more than 5kg in the top box etc. Anyone know why this is and what is the max load do you think I/you have gotten away with? The system looked quite robust and I would have thought you should be able to stuff the panniers full and not have to worry. Any thoughts?

The 5kg is probably a CYA from the lawyers, and on smooth straight roads, with no winds, and at legal speeds could probably be exceeded. Not that they would ever say that! In my experience, on the oil heads, the weight limit is usually pretty immaterial as the capacity is normally my limit, or rather SWMBO's limit :D

But then I'm not a lead etc courier so no doubt someone else will be able to say I've carried xxxx kg's with no problem.

You have to consider not only the strength of the panniers etc but also the effect the extra weight will have on the bike's handling. Stuffing the top box full of heavy stuff will always make the handling worse, the question is by how much and how willl your riding style be affected by this?

I don't think anyone can say "x kg is safe". Does anyone weigh their panniers before putting them on the bike anyway? :)

Mouse said:
You have to consider not only the strength of the panniers etc but also the effect the extra weight will have on the bike's handling. Stuffing the top box full of heavy stuff will always make the handling worse, the question is by how much and how willl your riding style be affected by this?

I don't think anyone can say "x kg is safe". Does anyone weigh their panniers before putting them on the bike anyway? :)

I weighed my inner bags the first couple of times that i used them on european trips two up for a fortnight and they never come close to the limits set by bvm so now i dont bother, just load them up and go.

I tested mine with 25kg in each one,and then gave it absolute death for about 20000miles with no problem.It just made it a complete twat to get on the centre stand.

I think there's a speed limit as well isn't there.

At the end of the day,everything will get overloaded,so it is just a huge get out clause by the makers

Vern said:
I tested mine with 25kg in each one,and then gave it absolute death for about 20000miles with no problem.It just made it a complete twat to get on the centre stand.

I think there's a speed limit as well isn't there.

At the end of the day,everything will get overloaded,so it is just a huge get out clause by the makers

Nice to know that Vern. Thanks.

BMW have to stipulate a max loading in the panniers, just as they stipulate a max all up weight of the motorcycle when loaded. Main effect is handling and of course stopping.

Put two large adults on the bike say 160Kg (I'm 90kg and my wife aint talking) and then add 50kg of luggage and the machine has doubled its kerb weight, not allowing for the weight of helmets leathers etc. Be careful with subframes if you really load up. Like most things be sensible a heavy overloaded bike is no fun to ride.

Make the wife leave the hairdryer, curling tongues, twelve oufits, make up bag and all the other junk at home. Carry only what you need and take old underwear and throw it away as its used.Two people on a 14 day trip start off with a carrier bag full of tatty undies and then have space on the last day for a 3 litre wine box.You clear out the underwear drawer and then get too blotto to worry about turning commando when you get home. One pannier each and top box if fitted for waterproofs and map and the best security measure a massive chain and lock.

I guarantee you will always unpack after a trip and find at least one item of clothing you didnt wear.

Back
Top Bottom