Help! Placcy bracket failure...

Marty

Reaction score
:spitfire those darned shite cheap (not actually at £17+ each to replace as I've just found out) plastic brackets used on the ADV ali luggage (panniers and top box).

Mine just failed with the lid dropping clean off. Wouldn't have minded but was just about to start a spot of walking in the Brecons..so ended up with 1 redundant pannier and having to lug me bike jacket around with me for my hike as me helmet, boots and other gear occupied the remianing pannier and topbox. Still coulkd have been worse and dropped off on the way I suppose

Now anybody recommend some sturdy replacements that are corrosion resistant and of a similar size to the originals so I don't need to drill too many new holes (and end up with the pannier boxes having all the weather proofing prowess of a pair of colanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thanks for any info

By the way 'Howdy' to the GSer that waved heading North on the A470 on my return. :thumb

when I say placcy...I mean placky...plastic....that derivative of crude oil.

When I say brackets...I mean hinges...the opening and closing devices...also derivatives of crude oil...but would prefer something a little more sturdy....like stainless steel.

I must me having a donut day....doh!

Marty, have you got the bmw cable stops attached. These are a good halfway house remedy to stop the hinges snapping. The design of all the fittings on the adv luggage is pretty bloody poor! I can remove my right hand pannier without unlocking it :( I do like the idea though, quick release and all that. When I get round to it I will be replacing all the locks and hinges with something more robust. You might find some suitable hinges from Hafele. Appreciate a shout if you find something to fit :thumb
See this thread for another useful addition to prevent luggage loss.

Appreciate you advice Lukate...

:clap

no I don't have the cable stops attached either, so have just set about adding a mod to my boxes this morning, basically it involved drilling and fixing a piece of webbing strap (same stuff you get on rucksacks) between the bracket fixings on the main box and the lid.

Although I've not lost any boxes to date, after reading the suggested thread...you've now got me thinking...as I've had a couple of occasions when the locking device has not 'made' as reassuringly as I would like it to.

Sounds like the M6 bolt with a wingnut approach might be the cheaper, quick and reassuring quick fix for now, especially when the additional pannier frame brackets are £15 a pop.

Thanks for your remedies... :bow

Ferkin' spensive....

...picked up my hinges today. Of course not supplied with fixing kit.

So, when you add the VAT.....you get the princely sum of £41 for two buckshee hinges, that are not designed to last.

I've noticed that the OM plastic brackets that hold the aux light housing to the light bar are also prone to failure with ageing.

They become brittle and one of mine has broken after jusy brushing past the bike in the garage.

Aint even gonna bother to cost that up...have made my own metal bracket and fixed that to the aux light shroud instead!

R&D BMW? What R&D...shite choice of materials with poor durability and basically unfit for purpose in my opinion. SORT IT! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mine broke as well but replaced under waranty as this is a known fault. Also given the wire strap free to stop it happening again. Go back to dealer and look for a refund.

Plastic on an 1150 Adventure?

I don't believe you, you're making it all up.

Good heavens :D

Peter

Back
Top Bottom