wiring in gps

jonb adventure

i need to connect my gps to the bike can i use the cables connected to the power socket at the front of the bike or is there a better way:bomb

My Solution.

Hi Jon, I thought about using the socket but decided to tee into the front side light. As I always ride with my lights on its no problem. My SPIII and others before, default back to the gps's battery power when you turn the bike or lights off. Bike socket is always hot so remember anything left connected will run until the bikes battery goes flat. I think it would take quite a time for a gps to flatten a bikes battery but the choice is yours.

I wired my SP into the battery via an inline fuse. It's always on when the GPS is on the bike. I don't have any batteries in mine, there have been several reports of the vibration causing shorts in the battery compartment, especially when using NiMH rechargeables. I bought a connector for the SP from PFRANC, there is an agent in Scotland I believe.

Rod

re wiring in my gps

i had'nt thought about the power socket always being live i like the idea that if the ignition is cut so is the power to the gps i think i will wire it thru the side light as suggested
thanks for your help

Jon,

I've taken the power supply from mine from the front acc socket. I can't imagine the circumstances under which I'd accidentally leave it switched on - it's pretty obvious if you have :D. You'll find (if you haven't already) that the SPIII eats batteries, so being able to re-prog the GPS on bike battery power is a worthwhile capability. City Slicker posted a reply on the Advrider site recently with the attached diagram. This connector is apparently live until the key is in the 'Steering Lock' position, which is certainly a valid alternative....Link

MikeO:)

Attachments

• gps wiring.jpg
    gps wiring.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 281
SP to Autocom Input lead

I spliced my SP lead into the front accessory socket ( there's quite a bit of spare loom looped just under the tank). At the same time I heat shrank the audio lead into my autocom music input so I can listen to 'Bitching Betty'. Autocom charge about £38.00 for this lead but I bet it's a lot cheaper at Maplins or if you made one up yourself.

Question : Would a lower rated in-line fuse be a good idea for the SP? The acc. socket is 15 amp.

Here's how my GPS is wired in. It works for me and is easily removable, requiring no alteration to the wiring harness to install. A .5 amp inline fuse is also fitted.

The socket is right in the middle under the tank. I'm not sure what it's for, but one of the 4 pins it contains is always live.
From Maplins buy a 'plug' and solder it to the live wire in the power/data cable. I think these 'plugs' maybe for some phono application. They are available in two very similar sizes. They were that cheap I brought one of each. Simply slip the 'plug ' over the pin within the socket. It may be necessary to open the pin within the plug by pushing a pin in it's center to get a suitable fit on the plug.

The ground cable can then be fitted to any suitable frame point.

Attachments

• twin.jpg
    twin.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 338
I took a feed from the existing power socket on my R1100GS , placed small fuse in line 0.5amp and then placed a small 2 din audio socket into the left hand side of the dasboard. It's very discreet and sheltered from the weather by the screen. I then put a 2 din audio plug onto a shortened power supply cable for the GPS V unit (not too short because you still need to move the handle bars full lock) and job done. The existing power supply socket is always live so the GPS doesn't power off when I turn off the ignition.
If anyone is interested I will try and post some pics during the next few days.
Cheers
The Gecko
(Lost in Belgium)
:beer:

Gecko said:
I took a feed from the existing power socket on my R1100GS , placed small fuse in line 0.5amp and then placed a small 2 din audio socket into the left hand side of the dasboard. It's very discreet and sheltered from the weather by the screen. I then put a 2 din audio plug onto a shortened power supply cable for the GPS V unit (not too short because you still need to move the handle bars full lock) and job done. The existing power supply socket is always live so the GPS doesn't power off when I turn off the ignition.
If anyone is interested I will try and post some pics during the next few days.
Cheers
The Gecko
(Lost in Belgium)
:beer:

Attachments

• gspic0009.jpg
    gspic0009.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 222

Back
Top Bottom