Adventure Beak

Richard34

Just ordered the Adv. beak extension thingy which should arrive in the next couple of days.

I'm happy to drill the holes in the GS's beak but any advice on what type of drill bit / speed etc I should use would be much appreciated.

Richard
Just marked the holes with a felt tip pen
and used a variable drill with a HSS drill bit.

Gates ;)

Richard34 said:
Just ordered the Adv. beak extension thingy which should arrive in the next couple of days.

I'm happy to drill the holes in the GS's beak but any advice on what type of drill bit / speed etc I should use would be much appreciated.

Use a 1/2" masonary bit with a hammer drill:rolleyes: :D
Tim

Re: Re: Adventure Beak

timolgra said:
Use a 1/2" masonary bit with a hammer drill:rolleyes: :D
Tim

Would that be diamond tipped or regular?!!!:D

personally

i used a laser..

one good blast and it burns thru..

beware of hitting the tyre underneath..

oh and remember to keep yer fingers out of the way as well

lol

one tip.. put some masking tape on the beak and drill thru that, it stops the bit slipping at the start,

regards

pthagonal

Richard,I havent got an adventure beak so I dont know what size of holes to drill but I gather they will be M5 or M6 set screws or hex screws.If there M5 drill a 5.5mm(6mm at the most),if there M6 then drill a 6.5mm(7 mm at the most)
Use an HSS drill bit.Drill a small pilot hole about (2mm) first at quite a high speed on the drill.Be carefull the drill doesnt slip or you'll damage the paintwork on the beak.Remember its only plastic so no need to push the drill too much.After that get the bigger drill bit,lower the speed on the drill atiny wee bit and drill out to the proper size.

(Drill a small pilot hole about (2mm) first at quite a high speed on the drill.Be carefull the drill doesnt slip or you'll damage the paintwork on the beak)

I always stick some masking tape where I am about to drill, as this stops the drill moving and scatching the paint work.

AJ

Richard:
All I did was use a cordless drill with variable speed. I held the beak in place and used a drill bit the exact diameter of the hole in the beak to minimise lateral movement. I started very slowly and once the hole was started just went for it. With two holes drilled and the beak attached I just drilled the others with the beak in situ. Took all of ten minutes. Very easy.
Simon

Attachments

• adventure beak.jpg
    adventure beak.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 525
WHY?? POSERS OR WHAT???

Why are you putting the Adventure 'beak' on your non Adventure 1150's?????????????
Is this a bit like some Harley owners who want all they can stick on their bikes??
Any of you going for the 'tassles' on your handle bars and luggage next?:confused:

Not posing at all - just taking all that's good about the Adventure without having to spend the xtra £££££££££S.

Besides, anything that helps protect my pride n' joy is worth the twenty odd quid don't you think?

As for tassles, I won't bother getting them for the GS as I've got them on my bikers jacket, trousers, gloves and helmet already:D

Cooler Guard

Simon, looks like you could use an oil cooler guard aswell as the bush guard.

Re: WHY?? POSERS OR WHAT???

notadrop said:
Why are you putting the Adventure 'beak' on your non Adventure 1150's?????????????
Is this a bit like some Harley owners who want all they can stick on their bikes??
Any of you going for the 'tassles' on your handle bars and luggage next?:confused:

I did it because the beak holds a pint glass perfectly when its on the center stand... and the Adventure bit stops it sliding off. think about it, if you lost 10 pints over a summer you'd be down 30 euro !

:beerjug:

Re: Re: WHY?? POSERS OR WHAT???

would an 1150 beak fit on an 1100 ?....I lost 11 pints last summer :D

Re: Re: Re: WHY?? POSERS OR WHAT???

Gecko said:
would an 1150 beak fit on an 1100 ?....I lost 11 pints last summer :D
Yes, it does:

12333416.tankhoes04.JPG

The pictures sometimes don't work, but you can find them here: http://www.pbase.com/luckyluke/motomorfose

I think the 11 with the beak looks a lot better than the stock 1150. (No Patrick Moore eyes)

it's about thirty quid by the time you add in the torx screws etc. plus delivery.

Gazza . . . oil cooler guard . . . you're absolutely right. That's why I've now got one (from MiGSel) and lights on one of MiGSel's excellent laser-cut bars. The picture I posted is very old (last June/July time). Uncle Gerald looks a little different now . . . got the Adventure stone-guard as well for the headlights.

Adventure Beak £30 ??? . . . no, about £23 all in.

Back
Top Bottom