HID Ligting

City Slicker

HIDLightingInstallation000.gif

This has been my pet project for a couple of months now. The intention was to develop something that you guys would want to buy as a kit.

Let me start by saying that HID lights are VERY expensive for what they are. But there is no doubt that the light output is amazing.

I chose the Hella DE Xenon lights, mainly because they were the only aftermarket units distributed directly from the manufacturer in the UK.

The ballasts are a different size and shape from the Xenarc (slightly larger) and the length of the HT lead is 10cm shorter, and the bulbs colour temp is 4100K compared to the Sylvania Xenarcs at 5400K. (see Syvania's Site and Hella's Site ).

The good news though is that these lights kick out 3,200 ANSI Lumens, compared to Xenarc's 2,600 and the standard halogen bulb which is less than 1,000.

The desigh of the reflector wasn't a big factor, although I would mention that these are driving lights as oposed to auxilliary low beam lights and as such the beam pattern goes everywhere and is disturbingly bright. Just what the doctor ordered to wake up the cagers, but I'm not sure too happy they will be.

The main issue as I saw it was where to put the ballasts for 2 HID lights. Pretty early on I decided that it would have to be under the beak because the cables on the units are only 40cm long.

My solution was a bracket for the lights and ballasts together under the beak. Several cardboad cutouts later I finally submitted my design in Autocad to a friendly metal fabricator and the resulting bracket was laser cut from 3mm stainless.
HIDLightingInstallation013.JPG

Having already determined hole positions it was great watching a finished unit being lasered in one step. The bend was added at the final stage.

I would have liked to have it made using 5mm aluminium (or Titanium!) but this requires water cutting and I never found a company to work with at short notice.

Having already completed a wiring loom, basically adapted and shortened from the loom supplied with the HID lamp kit, it took me about 1/2 hour to assemble the components on the bracket and about an hour to install and wire up the unit. An extra finishing touch was the addtion of thumbknobs to adjust the beam setting up or down to accomodate varying bike loads.

The one major addition to the wiring loom was the inclusion of a 3-way switch which controls which 'sensor' wire triggers the light relay. I now have the choice whether the lights activate on main beam, dipped beam or side lights depending upon which position its set to.

That's it. The photos tell the rest of the story.

HIDLightingInstallation008.JPG

HIDLightingInstallation004.JPG

HIDLightingInstallation007.JPG

HIDLightingInstallation009.JPG

HIDLightingInstallation010.JPG

HIDLightingInstallation011.JPG

HIDLightingInstallation012.JPG

A byproduct of all this was the design of a very effective and stable lighting bar. With the section that the ballasts are attached to in the photos removed or possibly modified for other equipment it makes an ideal alternative to the light bars like the Zan-Z-Bar.

Get in contact if you have an interest in this.

Hey City Slicker,

Must admit the do look the mutts nuts. When you say very expensive, like are we talking winning the lottery or just selling the wife (again).

I have a couple of Halfords spots fitted to a home made light bar. but they really don't cut it at anything even close to legal speed limits around the Welsh lanes.

I await the figures with baited breath

Dennis

As Dennis said, that setup looks the dogs doo-da's City -well done mate. Must have taken you ages to sort out.

Do you know how much you are gonna do 'em for, or are you gonna wait to see how much interest you get in them first? When you have worked it out, please let us know. In the mean time I'll be in here with Dennis, drinking mostly beer :beer:. Cheers, Geoff

in the words of a friend

bloody hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmm drool..

would love a set of those babys..

any idea on price yet?

regards

pthagonsl

As for price, this cost me, in materials only, over £430 so I guess that supplied as a plug and play kit it would easily tip the scales at £500.

In production I would probably make the bracket from 3mm bright mild steel and polyester powder coat finish. This would bring the unit cost down by half with a large enough production run.

Even then I'd think the bracket on it's own would end up being about £60 for those of you that wanted to consider a DIY installation or alternative HID lighting kits using similar ballasts.

If you fancy a similar lighting bracket for Halogen lights these would probably be about £50 - a little less metal and no bending required.

one question

how thief proof are these?

with the knows to adjust height and teh plugs at the rear and to the ballast?

how easy are they to remove?

sorry to nit pick

regards

pthag

how thief proof are these?
With tools, straightforward. I tapped holes in the lights and put a loctite'd stud in so it makes it difficult to unscrew without a stud extractor, but someone could come along and undo the other bolts easily enough with a little time.

Security is a concern and I'm still thinking about security Torx bolts when I can get hold of them. In the meantime all the other bits that we add to the bike are at the same risk of being stolen.

Today I made a lightweight nylon cover for the bike with these security issues still fresh. This is probably a very good security measure for the light and everything else - out of sight means out of mind for all but the determined thief.

xcellent idea

nice one ..

look forward to hearing how much they will be..

are these legal in the us, just wondering becausey ou would have a big market for them over there, and i dont think they are legal for road use over there..

nice job anyway..

might get one if the price is right..

regards

pthag

Eddie:

How much does the whole unit with lights etc weigh?

What are the implications for voltage draw, wiring, battery drain etc.?

Do the lights have replaceable lenses should a stone chip/break one?

When you say "plug and play" are you suggesting that there are no wiring issues involved? How will the lights be switched on/off? Are you going to include an Autoswitch? Just how "plug and play" is plug and play?

All for now.

Simon

Very interested.How weatherproof is the set up.ie the stuff under the beak.

Wow cool...

any lights with these warnings must be GOOD

(makes me wanna buy a GS just for your lights mate!)

Attachments

• hidlightinginstallation011.jpg
    hidlightinginstallation011.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,087
The mad professor asks...

How much does the whole unit with lights etc weigh?
1700g
What are the implications for voltage draw, wiring, battery drain etc.?
35W each = 5.8A. If you run 100W bulbs, this puts more demand on the elecrics than the HIDs AND 55W bulbs together on full beam.
Do the lights have replaceable lenses should a stone chip/break one?
No
When you say "plug and play" are you suggesting that there are no wiring issues involved?
Yes I'm not suggesting that. Or is it no, I am suggesting that this isn't an issue. You will have to connect it to a battery and make a couple of connections for the relay to work.
How will the lights be switched on/off?
A switch. My setup can have the lights come on in 3 different modes - on with dip, on with main and on with sidelight or external switching source, eg autoswitch.
Are you going to include an Autoswitch?
No
Just how "plug and play" is plug and play?
It means you wouldn't get a box of bolts and a reel of wire and told to ffucck off and get on with it. Although for some people it might:D

The front unit can be pre-assembled so that you just bolt it on and connect the wires under the tank. The whole thing might take a numpty an hour but bright sparks a little less time.

I think they'll be GOOOOOD cause here's me old set up!

Attachments

• marijuana.jpg
    marijuana.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,223
THE PICT said:
Very interested.How weatherproof is the set up.ie the stuff under the beak.
Everything is watertight. Sealed electrical connectors, boxes, lights, the lot.

Hi , I have an adventure presumably the lights and plate would fit on there.

I am certainly interested, could you let me know if you have one complete set ready for an 'idiot' to install and the cost. I could collect as I work in slough.

Cheers

I was riding around the north Circular this morning en route to a rendezvous with a former GSer at the Ace. I had to comment to my daughter riding pillion that there was a bike about ½ a mile behind us with some awesome lights. This was a bike that was not going to be missed - a wall of light cutting through the winter gloom like a chainsaw through butter!

Wow - it was City Slicker also on his way to the Ace!

Guys, this is one serious bit of kit, beautifully engineered and now way up on my ‘must have' list.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom