Help...Christmas cake and fan oven

Mel

The wife has got the Xmas cake in the fan oven and gone to work and left me to make sure it's a success when it emerges!!!. It's on at 130C - recipe says 140C for 4.5 hours but she adjusted the temp down for the fan. I'm getting a tad nervous about burning it because I think it should have a shorter cooking time too cos of the fan.

Any advice...?

20 degrees lower than instructions if its a fan oven. Same time
I wouldnt adjust your wifes setting though. If ANYTHING goes wrong and you have adjusted it , it will be your fault.
All domestic oven stats have a tolerance of + or - 20 degrees, so if your wife is used to the settings .. believe her.

Shorter cooking time too... by as much as an hour if our fan oven is a guide!

Start doing the fork/sqewer check early!

Finished item - all is well - marriage safe for now...thanks a million...

3406.jpg [IMG]

Take 2...

Finished item - all is well - marriage safe for now...thanks a million...

3406.jpg

Xmas cake update

Cooled it on a rack overnight and came downstairs this morning into a 'spiced' kitchen - instant Xmas. We'll be 'feeding' it with brandy over the coming weeks - will keep you posted and add more photographs when the marzipan is wrapped on and the icing and decorations are in place...

Not sure who was the bravest, your missus for leaving you in charge or you for taking on the responsibilty.

Maybe she wanted you to fail so she could kick you out.

I'd watch my back if I were you.

;)

Aw, not fair! When I saw the title of this thread I thought I knew what was coming - i.e. like when a certain lady was cooking a chocolate cake in the fan oven and tried to take it out to see how it was doing but struggled with the oven gloves. So she pulled the shelf out a bit and tried to get a better grip. She actually got a worse grip and the cake tin shot backwards and tilted, sending the still gooey mix into the spinning fan which relayed it everywhere.
I now know how to completely strip and reassemble a fan oven. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom