Frame reinforcement needed?

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
As those who saw the series will know, two of the ADVs on the LWR had subframe snappages. I plan to do a fully loaded, two-up trip next year: somne on roughish terrain (read gravel roads and tracks).

Do I need reinforcement to my rear subframe? If so, any suggestions who I should see?

ta

I'm working on it(again)

The main problem is that they put to much heat into the frame when they're welded(plus a couple of unbeleivable mistakes a company like mBw should never make,and no,I'm not going to tell you as my ideas have been ripped off enough thankyou very much)I think I have just about sussed all the weak spots,so I am just waiting for my little workshop to evolve,and then they should be breaking cover.Just keep an eye on this site for more info. ;)

Sheesh Vern how to whet an appetite, you should write for Eastenders. :D

Warthog said:
I plan to do a fully loaded, two-up trip next year: some on roughish terrain (read gravel roads and tracks).

Do I need reinforcement to my rear subframe?

You need to look at what you are carrying and what it weights.

A couple on a around the world journey had

His and hers panniers - 30 litres each - included shoes, clothing, toiletries. See if you can do the same? Visit the Horizons Unlimited site for packing ideas. Basically if the item cannot do two jobs - throw it out. E.G. Andy Straps has a neck warmer that converts into a beanie. Nice and warm too.

hi ,did you see what they had in their boxs, :eek: they needed a land rover to carry that lot , travelling light did't come into it. :clap

Depending on how extreme you are prepared to go, you could always,

a) Cut the frame at the weak spot as LWR found, and insert a reinforcing tube and weld it back up!

b) Have a piece of tube machined to fit over the weak spot and weld!

c) Have a gusset welded on at the offending place!

d) Just gone and looked at the bike, didn't their bikes break around the footrest hanger tubes? If so how about bracing low down on these to the rear of the subframe?

All the above are going to alter the appearance of the bike, how far do you want to go. Prevention is better than cure.

There is always a note of caution when welding regards what it does to the electrics, gas welding might be safer for the electrics, but watch out for stray flames.

ELIMINATOR said:
Depending on how extreme you are prepared to go, you could always,

a) Cut the frame at the weak spot as LWR found, and insert a reinforcing tube and weld it back up!

b) Have a piece of tube machined to fit over the weak spot and weld!

c) Have a gusset welded on at the offending place!

d) Just gone and looked at the bike, didn't their bikes break around the footrest hanger tubes? If so how about bracing low down on these to the rear of the subframe?

All the above are going to alter the appearance of the bike, how far do you want to go. Prevention is better than cure.

There is always a note of caution when welding regards what it does to the electrics, gas welding might be safer for the electrics, but watch out for stray flames.

All these are good ideas. How far will I go? As far as I need to make sure that we are able to enjoy this trip of a life time and neither my girlfriend or I come-off or are stranded!! As you say: prevention is the key and if that means the bike looks a bit different, so be it.

Besides, any welding will be done by a professional!! And preferably someone who knows bikes.

We don't plan to pack unecessary stuff, but they'll be tools, extra fuel/water, tent bivvy bags, not to mention clothes and about 30kgs of cameras/film!!

It all adds up.

Back
Top Bottom