Tom Tom

pomm001

Reaction score
without trying to upset the dedicated GPS users

has anyone had experience of using the tom tom 300 type of sat nav on a bike ?

I dont venture that far but satnav would come in usefull now and again but cannot justify a dedicated bike one such as tom tom rider

so would be better to have a unit i could use both in the car and bike without all of the wired GPS etc that a PDA type has
:)

The problem I see with the unit you're asking about is that I don't think it is weatherproof, so the usefulness on a bike in your (and my) country would be limited. You could of course stop using it every time there's rain or try to cover it up in plastic bags and so on but if you prefer TomTom, I think Rider is your only choice for practical use on a bike.

Garmin have several units that are suited for use on a bike, but of course they can also be moved between vehicles (there original intended use is really the much larger car market). Some of the more popular weatherproof units from Garmin are: StreetPilot 2600 (BMW Navigator II), Quest and GPSMAP 276C.

Apart from being equally useful on bike and in car 276C is also a fine marine unit, in case you're boating as well.

Hi pomm001
I have done exactly what you are enquiring about, to solve the water proofing problem i made a water proof housing but even after running a power supply to the unit the biggest let down was the reflection from the screen :tosser :tosser :tosser :tosser making the whole process a waste of time (according to SWMBO) Look like its the tom tom rider then !!! :D

pomm001 said:
has anyone had experience of using the tom tom 300 type of sat nav on a bike ?

The TomTom connector pads needs to attach onto a RAM-B-202-TO1 then add the arm RAM-B-201 and U-bolt RAM-B-231Z. Accepting all issues regarding weather/waterproof etc, it can be mounted onto a bike and its been done several times.

RAM-man

jbj said:
Hi pomm001
I have done exactly what you are enquiring about, to solve the water proofing problem i made a water proof housing but even after running a power supply to the unit the biggest let down was the reflection from the screen :tosser :tosser :tosser :tosser making the whole process a waste of time (according to SWMBO) Look like its the tom tom rider then !!! :D

Thanks for that , was the reflection because of your attempts to waterproof it or the unit in general.
Ram man has posted the fittings needed to bolt it onto the bike, not too bothered about waterproof as 98% of time will be in the car
anyone else have any experience to share

thanks

hi, pomm
No even with the "lid" open on the unit the standard screen is VERY reflective. Do what i should have done, stand it behind the screen of the bike with the sun behind you you cant see a kin thing !! :(

Mine was a bit stronger than that after i spent a week fcuking around! :tears

pomm001 - The Quest is weatherproof and can be mounted in your car and on your bike. It seems to be the best value for money GPS on the market currently, shop around and you may still find one for £200.

I use an axim/ipaq on my bike from time to time....
If you can get it powered then you will be fine, the biggest advantage i have is that i have an autocom and i use it for music and i therefor get the voice directions into my lid so it does not matter if i cannot see the screen for a bit.

You can do it with simple headphones or get some slim helmet ones.....

Crash

Back
Top Bottom