Autocom technical questions

araspitfire

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on my new R12GS to have the paperwork done so I can go pick it up... :spitfire

In themeantime I'm trying to stay occupied, by preparing for the arrival.

I've just bought an Autocom Active 7 and I plan to plug my digital music player to the music port. It'll be self powered.

I also plan to build a microcontroler gadget to take the NMEA string from my Garmin 60C, and give me audible turn warnings of the route ahead. Simular to the beeps that the unit currently gives me at first ,but piped into my helmet through the autocom. Eventually I'll make the beeps into a voice message.. "left turn coming up ahead... turn left now" kind of thing, with an appropriate module that will plug into the micro....

This gadget will be powered from bike power.

From what I've been reading, piping something that is bike powered into the Phone connection on the autocom will result in interferance. Autocom make an isolated pigtail to reduce this interferance.

Anyone know what's inside the pigtail? (I could easily build one myself from available bits if I knew and had a circuit diagram)

Anyone have experiences to share WRT messing about at this level with Autocom stuff? Plugging a bike powered audio source into the music port, etc....

And, yes I could buy a talking GPS, but for me this is about the technical gadget building, more than the having... ;)

Thanks,

Al...

Hi Al,

in the Autocom gadget is a galvanic separator, AFAIK. If you're going to do this, I strongly suggest you contact DaBit on the Dutch GS forum (www.bmwgsclub.nl), as he was building a nav unit himself from a microcontroller and a GPS receiver.

Good luck,

David

Back
Top Bottom