Zega topbox -v- BMW ADV topbox

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been through a search of previous threads but can't find this specific subject - apologies if it has been covered before, if so could some kind soul direct me to the relevant thread.

My standard GS is fitted with 'ordinary' BMW panniers which suit my needs just fine. I need a top-box tho and don't like the look of the ugly BMW jobby. What I really need is an ally topbox to carry my camera gear etc. It's a choice between the BMW ADV box (some mods needed to the bike I gather), or the TOURATECH Zega box which has a separate bracket.

Both cost in the region of £220. Any suggestions as to what would be best?

Thanks in anticipation ...

Metal Topbox

Why does it have to be metal?

Or will you be delivering pizzas in your spare time?

I've now had three different plastic, one Hepco and Becker and two Givi with no problems. The quality of the Givi ones imho is much better than the H and B, in that the H and B felt plasticy and not up for the long run. Like you I've also got the BMW panniers with the big lids (great mod), and don't envisage going x-country with all the luggage on, so ease of repair is not too much of an issue.

Re: Metal Topbox

John Armstrong said:
Why does it have to be metal?

Or will you be delivering pizzas in your spare time?

I guess I'm pandering to my own vanity - I prefer the appearance of a metal top-box. Having said that JimB posted a piccy of his GS with a Givi on and that looked great .... down to personal taste at the end of the day.

Pizza delivery? Been there, done that, good little earner actually ... wondering how I could fund GPS .... Hmmmmm:D

Nnnnnice .............

..... that looks custom made, Paul! Perhaps I AM being hasty ....

Not really custom...

South London motorcycles adapted the standard 1150GS Givi fitting plate and added the Maxia. I'd guess that Givi have a pukka Adventure plate by now. I added the backrest and will be fitting the brakelights soon (honest!). The standard black/red/silver colour scheme matches the silver Adventure very well.

We have used the top box with standard panniers on trips and it works fine - it's strong, very well made, waterproof and stops my pillion falling off! Because of the size (it will take two full face helmets), I'm careful not to overload it, but rain suits, first aid stuff, spare bulbs, maps and other light (but bulky) stuff just disappear into it ...

The box fits to the plate with a quick release mechanism - push one button and off it comes - leaving a pretty good looking black plastic plate (with a steel base underneath. It locks, but I'm not sure how strong the lock is.

Overall? Top stuff and about the same price as the others.

I know where you're coming from Retroman. I've seen two new GSs (awaiting collection on Saturday) with just the Adventure topbox fitted (no panniers) and it does look (a) very nice, and (b) like it's meant to be there and not an aftermarket "fix".

Simon Eassom said:
I know where you're coming from Retroman. I've seen two new GSs (awaiting collection on Saturday) with just the Adventure topbox fitted (no panniers) and it does look (a) very nice, and (b) like it's meant to be there and not an aftermarket "fix".

Yes and on reflection I still think its the way to go .... the BM box is the best looking of the ally boxes but I'd like to see a piccy of a bike with a ZEGA box fitted.

Can anyone out there help? :confused:

Retroman,why not ask Vern to see if he can make you one,that way you can decide what size and shape thats suits your needs.

THE PICT said:
Retroman,why not ask Vern to see if he can make you one,that way you can decide what size and shape thats suits your needs.

Good idea but I'm too shy to ask ....

No seriously, like the look of the BM box so much (seen C-Gs photos now) that I've placed an order today.

Thanks for the advice, one and all

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom