Spain/Portugal April 2006

ChrisR

Just booked meself a return with P & O to Bilbao, leaving Portsmouth mid April 2006 for 12 days touring on my 1200gs. I intend to have a neb at the Picos Mountains, possibly through to the Reserve Nacional de Ancares, then South maybe venturing into Portugal before coming back to Spain around Ciudad Rodrigo to wend my way down to explore the Extremadura.
Note "possibly" and "maybe". All my trips are planned very loosely, though I quite fancy the Extremadura in the spring - flowers, shitehawks and that sort of nancy stuff don't you know.
I will camp on this trip, for the first time in years, and am in the process of buying a new tent, sleeping bag and mat to replace my old gear that was resting in the loft for ages, and has now gone off to join the TITS appeal. I must be slightly light in the head as there was nothing wrong with my old camping gear, and until I got rid of it, had no intention of camping again. Sad really.
As with most of my trips by solo motorcycle, I will be travelling alone. I quite like the fact that if I go right where I should have gone left, according to the plan, it doesn't spoil anyone else's day, and often end up pleasantly suprised by the unplanned route. Apart from that it is all so much simpler and avoids tiresome debate and argument.
My question is does anyone have news/views on camping in Spain/Portugal in the spring. Many camp sites? Free camping allowed or not, as per Norway? Biker friendly or not? Any info you feel useful appreciated.

Also booked a return from Dover/Calais with P & O for the next years summer holiday with my missus and our CB1300/Hedingham SS outfit, for £60, which I thought reasonable. If you got it cheaper, I don't want to know.

The 1200gs is at the dealers having a 12,000 mile and annual service, plus gear box leak sorted. An awful lot of gear box leaks reported, at least I don't feel left out. Wrong forum, but hey ho.

My philosophy: If you ride a bike and didn't nick it, you are all right by me.

Six inch nails for tent pegs in Extremadura.........my best tip ;)

I love the barren feel of that area.... :thumb

Hiya ChrisR:
My Name is Gus ..i am from Spain...I have read your post and i can say follow things:
1.- I think it s better take Ferry in Plymouth to Santander...it is shorter time..I planned this summer to go to England from Santander.Bilbao, and Calais..and the best way return ticket Plymouth-Santander.

2.-The most campsites in Spain in April i think will be close...i think you can find Michelin guide campsites and maybe see the maps..and available time table...about Portugal i can,t tell you .
Free campsite is not allowed in Spain.
But if you have a trouble with campsites i advice to you "Pensiones" it is not exactly like B.B. in Britain..but they are cheaper than your country.

3.- Ancares area it is very wonderfull...mountains and narrow road....i was there in summer 2004...i live just 80 miles far there.

I hope have a good trip..anyway if wish to know anything else send to me email...Ok...?
Guss..from Spain

ChrisR said:
Just booked meself a return with P & O to Bilbao, leaving Portsmouth mid April 2006 for 12 days touring on my 1200gs. I intend to have a neb at the Picos Mountains, possibly through to the Reserve Nacional de Ancares, then South maybe venturing into Portugal before coming back to Spain around Ciudad Rodrigo to wend my way down to explore the Extremadura.
Note "possibly" and "maybe". All my trips are planned very loosely, though I quite fancy the Extremadura in the spring - flowers, shitehawks and that sort of nancy stuff don't you know.
I will camp on this trip, for the first time in years, and am in the process of buying a new tent, sleeping bag and mat to replace my old gear that was resting in the loft for ages, and has now gone off to join the TITS appeal. I must be slightly light in the head as there was nothing wrong with my old camping gear, and until I got rid of it, had no intention of camping again. Sad really.
As with most of my trips by solo motorcycle, I will be travelling alone. I quite like the fact that if I go right where I should have gone left, according to the plan, it doesn't spoil anyone else's day, and often end up pleasantly suprised by the unplanned route. Apart from that it is all so much simpler and avoids tiresome debate and argument.
My question is does anyone have news/views on camping in Spain/Portugal in the spring. Many camp sites? Free camping allowed or not, as per Norway? Biker friendly or not? Any info you feel useful appreciated.

Also booked a return from Dover/Calais with P & O for the next years summer holiday with my missus and our CB1300/Hedingham SS outfit, for £60, which I thought reasonable. If you got it cheaper, I don't want to know.

The 1200gs is at the dealers having a 12,000 mile and annual service, plus gear box leak sorted. An awful lot of gear box leaks reported, at least I don't feel left out. Wrong forum, but hey ho.

Did something similar last March/April.

I went Plymouth-Santander.

Contact Spanish Tourist office. They will send you a free map and listing of approved campsites. Very useful.

It is early in the season, many sites will be open but not yet in full swing.

Picos in April

I stayed in B&B in Cangas de Onis for 3 nights in April 2005 whilst touring the Picos and later down to Cuenca. Still lots of snow on the mountains and a biting windchill.

Coming back up through the Pyrennees got snowed on in Andorra and found some of the high level routes betwween Spain & France still snowbound. I have pictures of me next to 10ft snowdrifts cut by the snowblower. A lot colder than I expected. I may be Scottish but would not fancy camping in such conditions.

David

Wicker said:
A lot colder than I expected. I may be Scottish but would not fancy camping in such conditions.

David

I agree - I camped in the Pico's in August and was surprised how cold it was! I think the hotel option might be a better one.

Very Interesting thread.
My wife & I are thinking about a similar trip.
Nice to hear from Gus.

Mike, (50% Gibraltarian) (don't hold it against me Gus) :) .

Thanks Gus, Mike P, Wicker, Italian Trev and Boxertools for the advice/thoughts on my planned trip to Spain, much appreciated.
I will get the campsite list from the Spanish Tourist Office, and camp if possible, but use the pensiones mentioned by Gus if the weather is too cold.

My philosophy: If you ride a bike and didn't nick it, you are all right by me

ChrisR said:
Thanks Gus, Mike P, Wicker, Italian Trev and Boxertools for the advice/thoughts on my planned trip to Spain, much appreciated.
I will get the campsite list from the Spanish Tourist Office, and camp if possible, but use the pensiones mentioned by Gus if the weather is too cold.

Chris when you get the Spanish Tourist Office guide, you will see that most of the campsites also have Chalets so if you turn up at one and don't feel like camping that is always an option.

ChrisR said:

Ah! right!.......thank everybody else but me then...........you`ll regret it when all your tent pegs are bent and your searching around for stones to tie your tent to...!........... :D

Not gonna tell you about the best camp sites in Spain now... :p

Bronco Billy, sorry mate for missing you off my list of thank you's. Anyway thanks mate, no insult intended. Six inch nails I have in abundance, most of my carpentry efforts are held together with them, Chipendale eat your heart out.
It is the barren wildness of the Extremadura that appeals to me too, though in April there should be a bit of green.
Go on, tell us about the best camp sites, please.

ChrisR said:
Go on, tell us about the best camp sites, please.

Might do............ :p ............only if you say that i am the greatest..... :D

Hi,

I have been to Spain a few times on various bikes and never had any trouble 'free' camping. I reckon if you use your head as to where you camp and tidy after yourself, you should be ok.

Having said that, we once camped in this lovely spot late at night up a dirt road. At 12-30 a car went slowly past us up the road. Next morning we woke to find that we had camped at the end of someones drive...about 50 yards further up the road was a rather nice, large house. :D

I like the Spanish, nice people and they do like a beer!

Hiya From spain again...:

I don,t want insist about free campsite...but it is not allowed...Although probabily nobody will say to you anything...by other hand campsites is not expensive in Spain....the just problem will be the season...if you came in june most campsite will be open...and don,t forget Pesiones..are cheap...
I you come to Ancares ( Galician area) i can help you before come in Portugal......we will be in touch..bye bye..

Back
Top Bottom