Fantastic Drive Today

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a meeting today in a hotel Nr Carlisle,so went up via A1, A66 Scotch Corner to Penrith,then up the last bit of the M6.
Normal congestion,Police,accidents and roadworks on these Trunk roads.
Got finished at about 3.30pm and because I was quite near Brampton, I decided to drive back the scenic route on one of my favourite biking roads - A689 to Alston,then onto B6277 from Alston to Middleton in Teesdale and then on down to Barnard Castle..........

BLISS - Winter Sun,Dry Roads,No Traffic or Police (only 2 Cars in 65 miles) and a Superb,Twisty Route in a great new car,listening to a CD.

This new Golf GT TDi 150 is a great piece of kit - fast,torquey,stable and exciting to drive with good handling.

Driving this road again,reminded me of how great it is to ride, on a bike and made me look forward to Spring/Summer to do it again on the GS.
This is one of my favourite roads in the North Pennines and I'm lucky to live in the North of England with the North and South Pennines,Yorkshire Dales,North Yorkshire Moors,Lake District,Kielder and the Borders,together with the Peak District,all easy to ride to for a full day's entertainment on the GS,in whichever direction I choose from home.

i was gonna do that route the other day but headed east to the north york moors (see other post - went for a blast) cos the sun was shining in the east and it was cloudy and grey in the west as i headed out from richmond.

never ridden or driven those roads so it's a must do next time - especially as you've also recommended a caff in alston !

cheers

keith

Left not right?

Another Cafe option is the Hartside if you turn left at the top of the 6277, great views across to the lakes, and the road down to Penrith is pretty fine, then down the A6 to Kendall is all that is good in A roads that have been superceeded by a motorway. Then turn around and go up to the Hartside caff.

Another option is to head towards the A68 and head for Carter Bar, stop at the border and head back to Darlington and link up with the A67 to Barnard Castle and around you go again. Allegedly from the border the A68 becomes a Gatso forest.

The A68 from the border at Carter Bar is fine as far as Jedburgh.
From Jedburgh to Edinburgh there are Gatsos every few miles.
You have been warned...

Shaunie said:
The A68 from the border at Carter Bar is fine as far as Jedburgh.
From Jedburgh to Edinburgh there are Gatsos every few miles.
You have been warned...

Shaunie,
I always use the the A68 to Carter Bar when going North,then dive left to Bonchester Bridge to Hawick,then up the old A9 through Selkirk to Edinburgh bypass.
A9 is another great road - no Police or Gatso's and some great bends,with little traffic.

Forget the A68 - THE A9 IS THE REAL BORDERS ROAD

I never use the A68 in Scotland - too much aggro.

Not long now

It'll soon be time to get the GS out Johnny, we need some good rain to wash the salt away then temperatures above 3C and come March the GS can stretch its wings.

Re: Not long now

Jimb said:
It'll soon be time to get the GS out Johnny, we need some good rain to wash the salt away then temperatures above 3C and come March the GS can stretch its wings.

Yep Jim,
We'll arrange a meet up to ride soon and we definitely see you at the end of March,when the Prof does the Peak District. See if we can catch his able lady,Lisa on her F650GS

JohnnyBoxer said:
Shaunie,
I always use the the A68 to Carter Bar when going North,then dive left to Bonchester Bridge to Hawick,then up the old A7 through Selkirk to Edinburgh bypass.
A7 is another great road - no Police or Gatso's and some great bends,with little traffic.

Forget the A68 - THE A7 IS THE REAL BORDERS ROAD

I never use the A68 in Scotland - too much aggro.

Charles the Rev.Chuck,has pointed out my error-must have had brain fade..............DOH. I meant to list it as the A7

The old Borders road is the A7,not the A9(I've changed the details in quote above)

Back
Top Bottom