Trip around wales july 2006

gus

Hiya everyone:

This is Gus from SPain....I,m not english then i hope you accept my apologies about my english language.
Now i pass to explain to you why write this post...Next summer in 2006 in July month i.ll go to travel around Wales and i would like to know.:
1.-Are there a lot of Campisites there..? are there any books wiht maps about that...i know Michelin Maps about campistes in France and it is a good book...but i wasnot able to find about U.K....can anybody help me?
2.-What are the most interestings places to visit there.

Thank you very much....Gus

Last edited:
there are loads of campsites around wales , i believe you will be inundated with info soon , as it all depends on how long your here and what you want to see...

snowdonia is a must as is all of the rest of wales. you will be spoilt for choice for sure...
if you let us know your itinery and maybe we could arrange a group meet sometime during your visit!!

:thumb

Gus, you'll be made most welcome ... do you use GPS/Sat Nav? If so, I can send you some good routes on MapSource.

:thumb

hiya slimbo and retroman:

I.ll spend about 15 days there...i have not itinery yet...although i wish to visit all i can ...obviously the most interesting thins...

I,m going to buy Tom Tom Rider or maybe the last Garmin 7....( i dont remember another numbers)...people talked me they are good navigators....

I..ll try to avoid main roads..and i would like what roads i must use from Plymouth to wales borders...when i get there i.ll ride through B-roads too....
I was in your country just once time..2003 summer by bicycle Scotland, Northumberland and Lake Discrict...about 800 miles...but this time will be differente...r 1200 GS and with my son back....I say avoid main roads because it is not easy at begining to drive on the left side..bufffff!!!.

Thanks again...

Do you have a route? If not I can recommend some good roads :) Let me know.

I have not route yet....my idea it is visit all i can....!!i think that 15 days will be enough...thanks worthy..!!

Hi Gus

There are many campsites in Wales. They vary from simple sites in a field on a farm to sites owned by the Queen (usually the state controlled Forestry Commission).

http://www.visitwales.co.uk/ has a lot of information. Click on "places to stay" for details of camp sites.

What types of places do you and your son like to visit? Wales caters for all sorts of people: adventure sports; an excellent theme park with one of my favourite rollercoasters; fantastic scenery; Roman history; dozens of castles and of course some of the best roads in Europe.

July 2006 trip

Gus there should be a few Helping Hands nearer to the time who would be willing to share your journey for a few hours to show you and your son around. I for one will be glad to to help repay the kindness I received from the Locals when driving a Road Train around Spain a few years ago. ( I choose to ignore the few that caused trouble during the Truckers Strike :dabone )

gus said:
.. i would like to know.:
1.-Are there a lot of Campisites there..? are there any books wiht maps about that...
2.-What are the most interestings places to visit there.
I may still have a book of campsites in Wales. If I've still got it, you're welcome to it - it may be a year or so out of date, but the vast vast majority of current sites will still be in there, with Tel Nos etc.

When you say "interesting places" what floats your boat ? Eg are you into mountains, lakes, rugby, ancient ruins etc. You will be inundated with offers of help, advice etc. :thumb

Hi Gus!

There is a meeting in the south in July, in Andover, so don't be suprised if you do not see too many GS'er in Wales that weekend..... ;)

:) Liv.

Gus, as soon as you know your itinerary then share it with us. I'm sure lots of us will be happy to spend some time with you and some of the guys here know Wales like the back of their hands. Wales has some fantastic castles and epic scenery. I recommend you visit some of the lakes..in particular Bala, Lynn Brianne and the Elan Valley and Snowdonia National Park.

Look forward to seeing you over here.

Thanks everyone, l.ll try to let know you about this trip...As soon as posible i.ll buy a book about wales, then i.ll plan the route..places etc...and i.ll ask you about roads and cities no interesting and about places that i must visit.....ok..? we will be in touch...!!!!.
Taff...Wich it is the name book have you got?...would be posible get for me...if you send to me adress from the library or even the name of the book probabily i can get it....

Gus

gus said:
... Taff...Wich it is the name book have you got?...would be posible get for me...if you send to me adress from the library or even the name of the book probabily i can get it....
Sorry I'm so late coming back to you. I'll have a look later, when I get home.

As you're not a sponsor, you can't send me a Private Message (PM) but e-mail me your postal address and I will send it to you when I find it. My e-mail address is cambell.evans at evansbros.co.uk :thumb

Hiya again.:
Taff would you mind writting again your email adress..i tried to send a message and computer said me adress no valid....i think someword wrong type...thanks gus

If you type it out as a normal e-mail address, ie one word with the @ character instead of my "at" it should work. Just for security reasons you understand. ;)

I found a list of campsites, but not the book I wanted. I have now delegated the job to the wife, so there is still hope. :D

Gus, just click THIS to email Taff.

displaying email addresses like this stops web harvesting bots from 'grabbing' your address

Hey Gus
I spent a week in Wales this summer camping and had a great time. There are really superb roads there and everyone I met there was very friendly. At the beginning of July Bakerman has an event called the HOGROAST and it is a great way to start your trip, see here for more info. You can meet lots of GS riders who will share lots of information and the drive to Wales from the Hograost is only about 3 hours if you go cross country through some the Cotswolds which is a beautiful part of England.
I stayed at a really wonderful campsite called Forest Fields http://www.fforestfields.co.uk/ great site, great location, cheap and right in the middle of Wales. The owner is very biker friendly and he owns the land all around the site . He allowed me to ride off road into the hills around the site and I had a great time at this campsite.
You won't find better in my opinion. It has no bars or restaurants but the is a really nice pub just 1 mile down the road.
cheers
Gecko

Back
Top Bottom