NW USA/Canada

Lamble

Reaction score
As I'm shortly to relocate to Seattle I've been looking at the riding available there. It's incredible, there's the rockies, the cascades, a tropical rain forest and desert all within 6 hours riding. Canada is less than a half tank of petrol (gasolene) away too, with a spot of whale watching on the way.

I've spoken to a few guys out there and am thinking of organising a 10 day tour for next september/october, hiring bikes and doing a road trip, taking in all the great roads and scenery.

At this moment in time I have no costings, however if anyone has undertaken an organised trip out this way, please can you supply info.

Finally, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone is provisionally interested in either a 5 day or 10 day trip to the NW USA for a mix of adventure and touring riding?
If you are then what sort of itinerary would you like to be put in place?
Plus what sort of costs would you stand 5 days £2500, 10 days £4500?

All thoughts welcomed. :thumb

The rain forest is temperate not tropical, cold and wet, rather than hot and wet. I can assure you it is wet whatever the temperature. Also very beautiful, as is the whole area. Try and get out to the Olympic National Park and visit the Hoh Valley for rain forest.
A fantastic part of the world.

I did a tour last year with Rocky Mountain Tours based in Whistler, B.C. They organise tours through lower B.C. with short forays into Alberta. They also did some down through Washington,Oregan and Northern California. They use Triumphs in the main. Contact them on www.rockymtnmoto.com
Whilst over there I picked up a small tour guide for B.C.entitled Destination Highways.There is also one for Washington State. They outline particular roads and give all then info as regards surface, techincality, roadside stops and general info.
They are avaibale from Aerostitch - Go to aerostitch.com - website look on left hand side for Sundry - then Books - and under References you you find them.
Enjoy the scenery. Mother Nature at her best.

Great area, done an RV holiday but not on a bike. For £4500 I'd want to be bringing the bike home at the end....I can't see a 10 dayers costing much more than £3k all in

Lamble said:
As I'm shortly to relocate to Seattle I've been looking at the riding available there. It's incredible, there's the rockies, the cascades, a tropical rain forest and desert all within 6 hours riding. Canada is less than a half tank of petrol (gasolene) away too, with a spot of whale watching on the way.

I've spoken to a few guys out there and am thinking of organising a 10 day tour for next september/october, hiring bikes and doing a road trip, taking in all the great roads and scenery.

At this moment in time I have no costings, however if anyone has undertaken an organised trip out this way, please can you supply info.

Finally, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone is provisionally interested in either a 5 day or 10 day trip to the NW USA for a mix of adventure and touring riding?
If you are then what sort of itinerary would you like to be put in place?
Plus what sort of costs would you stand 5 days £2500, 10 days £4500?

All thoughts welcomed. :thumb
Whats happened? Mersea Island,the house boat!! tell us more?Andy.

Too good to miss.

andy malton said:
Whats happened? Mersea Island,the house boat!! tell us more?Andy.

I'm still here aboard at the moment. My wife got an offer she couldn't refuse, so we are taking 3-5 years over in the Seattle area.

I can do most of my work on-line back to the UK but would want to have a US job to keep me active. I'm looking at a bike tour business as a possibility, but not a fat ass cruiser trip, more of an adventure. However the litigation in the US appears to kill off any such venture.
I might need to look at keeping a UK element, so that we can keep the liability costs down.
If all goes well, we will be over in the US by next spring.

By the way...if anyone wants to buy a house boat, visit
www.lambleweb.com

Just come back from a 3 month tour of the US and spent some time in Seattle/Portland. Brill GS roads. I can recomend the R26 which comes into the SE of Portland. Its the old Oregon trail and has everything a biker needs, hills, mountains, plains and a great breakfast ha ha! I`ve had the same idea of tours on the West Coast and you are right with the litigation stuff...too many lawyers but it can be done. Let me know if you want to talk about it some more. May be good to share idea`s and come up with a way to beat the system :beerjug:

May be good to share a way to beat the system

Chris,

I'm going to be in Seattle for a few days later this month. I'll pick up maps for off roading/trailing and suitable accommodation, plus if I can get into the WA/Seattle Transport Dept I'll see if there are any limitations.

I doubt if we could source bikes from a hire company, or that it would be prohibitively expensive, however short term it might be a fix.
All is possible if the numbers add up.

I'd offer the trip to euro riders only as they seem more prepared to fall off without a gargantuan claim and are more open to the adventure experience.

I've found locals prepared to lead and mechanically support, although storage etc...needs looking into.

Let's take this as far as it can go and see what happens.

Jealous as hell that you are going to Seattle this month. Have a friend in Portland and I love it up there! Anyway, back to business...you are pretty close with your costs, prices etc so you`ve done some good research and the best way to go is with us savvy Europeans. Give me a call before you go and we can run through some of my plans and idea`s. 07740156441.

:thumb

If I can help you guys in anyway on the relocation or trips through the USA, just let me know.

I've done extensive travel all over the USA both on bikes and for work and can help with accomodations, routes, maps, etc.

Moving to Seattle sounds like quite the adventure - good luck!

Eric

eblattert@cs.com

proposed route....for comments please

Eric, your thoughts and anyone else's too. Must sees, just missing so take a diversion, stop here, go there, avoid like the plague...any tips?

New York
Rahway
New Brunswick
Trenton
Norristown
Little Britain (just because it’s the name of a great comedy show in England)
Peach Bottom (photo opportunity!)
Manchester
Creagerstown
Martinsburg
Romney
Gormania (horror movie?)
Belington
Buckhannon
Glenville
Spencer
Ripley
Gallipolis
Patriot
Portsmouth
Vanceburg
Flemingsburg
Headquarters (I’ve always wanted to reach Headquarters)
Paris (irony)
Frankfort (irony 2)
Shelbyville (Heard of it not sure why)
Louisville (Ali)
English (well you’ve jus got to)
Birdseye (comedy name)
Oakland City
Mount Carmel
Fairfield
Mount Vernon
Nashville
Freeburg
Concord
Defiance
Hermann
Columbia
Marshall
Wellington
Kansas City (promised a BBQ)
Tonganoxie
Topeka
Paxico
Manhattan
Oak Hill
Delphos
Blue Hill
Covert (try to sneak through without being noticed)
Zurich (irony 3)
Hill City
Hoxie
Rexford
Achilles (must be a classic)
Ludell
Max (to see what the speed limit is)
Ough
Champion
Amherst
Red Lion (name of the local Pub)
Sidney
Kimball
Cheyenne (wild west)
Laramie (the man from…)
Columbine
Savery
Manila
Mountain View
Evanston
Logan
Burley
Twin Falls
Gooding
Mountain Home
Boise
Payette
Baker City
La Grande
Pendleton
Kennewick
Yakima.....No snow route...Naches

.....South Cle Elum
.....North Bend
.....Issaquah
......Newcastle
........Mercer Island
Tacoma
Seattle

That's quite the list!

It all depends on how muich time you have and what the "must see" locations are.

Based purely on where the best riding is, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia and Kentucky are the best riding areas in the East.

The Midwest is rather dull no matter how you look at it. Best just to get through it as fast as possible. Not that it's that boring, just that there;s great riding on either side of it.

The west has the Grand Canyon (must see), Utah (Moab area) and Colorado (Ouray, Mt. Evans), Nevada (Reno . Tahoe area) and much of northern Cali is great. Since you'll live in Washington, I'd sapend more time towards the south and areas that you're not likely to get back to any time soon on a bike. Santa Fe, NM is also very cool.

Email your home address to me and I'll make a copy of some USA mapping progarms for you. They'll help you with distance calculation and topography.

Eric
Email: Eblattert@cs.com

The rain forest is temperate not tropical, cold and wet, rather than hot and wet. I can assure you it is wet whatever the temperature. Also very beautiful, as is the whole area. Try and get out to the Olympic National Park and visit the Hoh Valley for rain forest.
A fantastic part of the world.

Tropical was a slip. Although with the mosses hanging from the trees, it's almost like it, except for the tree types, the temperature, the rain.

Splendid riding countryside. Try the Lost Resort if you get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom