Alarm fuse keeps blowing...

Bateman

Reaction score
The fuse for my datatool system 3 keeps blowing - this happened once before a few months ago but I just replaced it and it was fine. Now if I replace the fuse it blows as soon as I enable the alarm. When the ignition is on, the left indicators work but the right ones don't - could this mean the indicator wire is rubbing against the frame somewhere? I'm not too handy with electronics so is it a case of following wiring from the indicators to wherever they go and looking for where it could be shorting? I've been through 5 fuses in the last hour but don't really know where to start.

Well,the trouble with electrical problems is that you can talk or write about them all day,yet find the fault within minutes in real life.....

From what you say,you`ve either got an alarm fault or an indicator related fault.

Do the indicators flash both sides when you arm or disable the alarm ??

Do the left indicators work in a normal fashion....yet the right ones don`t at all ??

When does the fuse blow ??
When you arm the alarm or use the indicators ??
Immediately ??
After a few times ??

With an indicator related fault,it could be the switch,the wiring or even a bulb. It may also be the flasher relay at fault...but from experience of working on bike wiring,I think that`s less likely than the other areas.

See if you can answer the questions above,and let`s see if we can narrow it down.....

i am pretty certain that the fuse blows as soon as the alarm is disabled - I disconnect the battery, the alarm is in sleep mode, I put the new fuse in, connect the battery, then take it out of sleep mode - at that point the fuse blows. If I then try the indicators, the right indicator doesn't flash, but the left one does.

I'll check tomorrow and find out for sure. Thanks for the reply - I was beginning to think I was completely on my own on this one :thumb

Bateman said:
Thanks for the reply - I was beginning to think I was completely on my own on this one :thumb

:thumb No probs mate...I don`t know how I missed it myself,as I`ve been on and off the board all day....

Go through all the permutations...take notes so you don`t get confused.

If you can disconnect the alarm completely,do so...that way you`ll see if you`ve got alarm trouble or just an indicator wiring fault.

Was the alarm professionally connected ??

Is it still under a warranty ? if so,contact the person/firm responsible before meddling too much.

Post your menu tomorrow.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom