First ride impressins on my HP2

WayneD

Finally took delivery of my HP2 (ordered many months ago) and took it for a maiden run yesterday. I was keen to see how it performs off-road having just completed the UAE Desert Challenge on my Honda 450x (2,500 km's of sand over 5 days in the Empty Quarter), and to compare it to my 1150 and 1200 GS's. No doubt it is a very competent and exciting bike to ride - way superior to the 1150 and 1200. Power is brutal but controllable – several hundred meter power slides are a breeze and that air canister soaks up just about anything you throw at it….

However there are a few problems. The front forks are way to soft and don’t seem to respond to compression or rebound changes; it tends to tank-slap on rough gravel sections at around 70Km/h (I suspect this is related to the bad fork set-up); the gear-shift lever is way too far in, so that with knee protectors and big riding boots on you can’t get to it easily; the slack in the shaft-drive is very excessive and clangs away continuously; the supplied Karoo tyres are no good in soft desert sand (have just ordered Michelin Desert’s to correct this).

This weekend I will replace the fork-oil with a heavier weight (it is supplied with 10w) and will find a way to extend the gear-shift lever. The fork set-up is really weird – never seen anything like it before. One fork controls rebound and linear compression, and the other takes care of progressive compression… go figure that? The BM mechanic here in Dubai recons the wheel slap is normal so will have to wait and see if anything breaks. It is more excessive than my other beemers and much louder ….

Aside from these hopefully fixable issues I am really happy with my new toy …. Just need to get a bigger tank, screen and some panniers and then I can go power-touring…

WayneD said:
the slack in the shaft-drive is very excessive and clangs away continuously

Is this worse than on your R1200GS? Curious because my 1200 has what I consider to be a lot of slack in the transmission, which makes riding off road quite difficult sometimes.

Have fun with your new toy :D

WayneD said:
Finally took delivery of my HP2 (ordered many months ago) and took it for a maiden run yesterday. I was keen to see how it performs off-road having just completed the UAE Desert Challenge on my Honda 450x (2,500 km's of sand over 5 days in the Empty Quarter), and to compare it to my 1150 and 1200 GS's. No doubt it is a very competent and exciting bike to ride - way superior to the 1150 and 1200. Power is brutal but controllable – several hundred meter power slides are a breeze and that air canister soaks up just about anything you throw at it….

However there are a few problems. The front forks are way to soft and don’t seem to respond to compression or rebound changes; it tends to tank-slap on rough gravel sections at around 70Km/h (I suspect this is related to the bad fork set-up); the gear-shift lever is way too far in, so that with knee protectors and big riding boots on you can’t get to it easily; the slack in the shaft-drive is very excessive and clangs away continuously; the supplied Karoo tyres are no good in soft desert sand (have just ordered Michelin Desert’s to correct this).

This weekend I will replace the fork-oil with a heavier weight (it is supplied with 10w) and will find a way to extend the gear-shift lever. The fork set-up is really weird – never seen anything like it before. One fork controls rebound and linear compression, and the other takes care of progressive compression… go figure that? The BM mechanic here in Dubai recons the wheel slap is normal so will have to wait and see if anything breaks. It is more excessive than my other beemers and much louder ….

Aside from these hopefully fixable issues I am really happy with my new toy …. Just need to get a bigger tank, screen and some panniers and then I can go power-touring…

I only had a very short go off-road on PikeyDave's HP2, but also noticed that the forks were not likely to be up to the job, noting the size/weight of bike.

Like KTM, I would have thought 48mm USD's would have been the way forward as a minimum and preferably 50mm - with a more conventional spring set-up than you describe......

Slack

Yup, the slack is worse than the 1200 and it clangs loudly which the 1200 doesn't do. When you are riding over varied terain where it goes on and off traction, it sounds really bad. Sounds like it is doing some major damage inside the gearbox ...

When you are riding over varied terain where it goes on and off traction, it sounds really bad. Sounds like it is doing some major damage inside the gearbox ...

That's exactly how I'd describe my 1200! Hmm, I need to ride someone else's to compare, I think.

Thanks for the info.

Mouse said:
That's exactly how I'd describe my 1200! Hmm, I need to ride someone else's to compare, I think.

Thanks for the info.

Hmm...
The future is orange!

Back
Top Bottom