East to West USA

Lamble

Reaction score
With the relocation, I'm looking at shipping the GS to the East Coast and riding across. The northern route taking in Yellow stone etc may still be iced up at the passes I'll need to take in April.

Any suggestions on a more southern, lower altitude route that must take in Kansas City?

:thumb

Lamble said:
With the relocation, I'm looking at shipping the GS to the East Coast and riding across. The northern route taking in Yellow stone etc may still be iced up at the passes I'll need to take in April.

Any suggestions on a more southern, lower altitude route that must take in Kansas City?
No, but I'm fascinated by why you want to go to Kansas City. It isn't exactly the most interesting place on earth I've been to (but then again I lived in Milton Keynes for 17 years so those in glass houses....)

b.t.w. Can you explain why Kansas City isn't in Kansas, but is actually in Missouri? I always wondered why that was.

Mike

confusion

Cheesy Mike said:
b.t.w. Can you explain why Kansas City isn't in Kansas, but is actually in Missouri? I always wondered why that was. Mike

KC because I've been invited to two BBQs and yes I can explain:

It's the same reason Panama hats are made in Equador, Russia's October Revolution is in November and cat gut comes from sheep. Either that or, wasn't it blown there in the Wizard of Oz?

what about this route?

I've just picked up Road Trip USA-jamie jensen ISBN 1-56691-396-9 Avalon Travel Publishing.

It lays out a network of 2 lane scenic highways, so here's my unrefined first draft version of the route East to West:

Ship in to JFK-escape from NY on 70 toward Philadelphia, aiming towards Columbus.
Down to Indianapolis still on the 70 and through to St Louis. Pick up the 35 for Kansas City.
Topeka, Dodge City, Pueblo, Provo, Ely.
At Ely turn North to Boise, the 84/90 up to Seattle.

Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at most!

Using this as a base template route I can already see alternatives for breaking north east earlier and whilst it's easier to identify the larger cities, on the map I have, I'd be happier to miss them, so any refinements gents?

great start!

Forget that rubbish about the route. On closer inspection it will be mostly US 50-"the loneliest road".

Boston

Ship and come into Boston, you have a nice GS friend that can put you up and lend you his car whilst you are waiting for the bike, or receive the bike for you before you arrive or both.

Honest offer and I will ride with you for a few hundred to see you on your way.

Cheers, Nick

take him up!!

Me and SWMBO had a week in America earlier last month and met up with Nick (commuter) for a few hours whilst in Boston.
He is a truly nice bloke and very knowledgeable about a lot of relocation stuff. (sorry to embarrass you Nick, but the truth hurts!!!)

Sherpa

My advice would be to ship to Baltimore rather than NYC. Smaller and friendlier (apart from US customs) than NYC. Great access to the Outer Banks then across NC to the Smokies and down the Blue Ridge Parkway which is a must and perfect GS country. Drops nicely into Tennessee which is on the way to the infamous Kansas City. Hope the BBQ is worth it.....

:thumb

I agree with the ship to Baltimore part. but skip the Outer Banks unless you have to see it. flat and straight are the roads there. pics at http://buddy.smugmug.com/gallery/890328

The Blue Ridge Parkway starts heading south at Waynesboro, VA, Mile post 0. April is a good time to ride it. You can head west anywhere along the BRP and have tons of fun in the hills of Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee or Kentucky. Check out Hickman, KY on the map, you can catch a ferry across the Mississippi River there and hop over to the Ozark Mountains in southern Missouri or northern Arkansas and have some more mountain fun on your way to KC. :D

watch the weather out in the Rockies in April.

Latest revision

Taking in all of the advice so generously proffered, both here and in other forums, here's what I'm proposing. It misses some major landmarks, but I want to visit these later with Karen. However if there's something blatant that I'm missing just for the sake of a few miles, please let me know.
Town/city route

Morton's BMW-Baltimore
frederick
bolivar
front royal
skyland
newton
love
irish creek
Overlook
winston salem
Asheville
Cherokee IR
Indian Gap
Deal's Gap
Madisonville
Spring City
Crossville
Sparta
Smithville
Lebanon
franklin
russellville
hopkinsville
Dawson Spring
Clay
shawneetown
Carbondale
Sand Ridge
Chester
Claryville
St Marys
Thomure
Bloomsdale
Cedar Hill Lakes
St Clair
Union
Rosebud
Jefferson City
Sedalia
Lees
Kansas
Emporia
Elmdale
McPherson
Great Bend
Kinsley
Dodge City
Garden City
Hasty
Pueblo
Canon City
Poncha Springs
sapinero
montrose
ridgway
placerville
Vancorum
La Sal Junction
Moab
Canyon lands NP
moab
Beaver
Baker
Ely
Austin 50
Fallon
Fernley
Sparks
Doyle
Susanville
Old Station
Redding
Weaverville
willow creek
Blue Lake 299
Moonstone 101
Orick 101
Klamath
Crescent City
Harbour
Gold Beach
Port Orford
Bandon
Florence
Tillamook
Seaside
Astoria
South Bend
elma
Shelton
Port Orchard
104-3 juction
Ferry
Edmonds
The End...of the beginning.

Happy New Year to you all.

Underneath the Arches

I've provisionally scheduled two-three days for this area and Arches are on the agenda. Thanks for the thought though.

Back
Top Bottom