What about the 850??

magicpantss

Hi Guys,
I have been considering getting a G.S for a little while,yesterday I went out looking and found a couple. One was an 850 on a W plate,for about £5300 the other was an 1100 on a V plate for £5700. Both were at a main dealer and both were low milage.
are these prices o.k?
My main question is this, I have tried to find info on this site about how the 850 compares to the 1100/1150 but have been unsuccessful.( maybe I am looking in the wrong places?).
any help or links would be great.
cheers
Magic..
P.s sorry if this question has been asked before, but hey I am new!!!

:)

Magic,

welcome aboard, nice to know there's another local here! Lind's had an absolutely mint 850 in yellow & silver when I was last there - is that the one you saw?. Barry Lynes, the manager, is a top bloke & has always treated me very fairly - well worth building a good 'dealer relationship' with if you're going down this route - do a search for Lind's on the site to see what I mean. Is he expecting any in on trade-in for 03 reg? Now & Sep 1st are always good times to look for a bike...

MikeO:)

GS850

Hi, strange aint it, the 850 seems to be not as popular as the bigger GS, but I was at Ocean BMW (seem a good bunch) on saturday and put down a deposit on a SH GS850, Marakesh red, ex GS club members bike with 20,000 on the clock. The guys at Ocean, told me, on asking a similar question, that the stroke is a tad shorter than the bigger bike, but they said it is a "smoother" engine. The main reason that it was not as popular, seems to have been the negligable price difference between the two models, which made buying the smaller one a lesser financial choice. I am looking forward to getting of my W650 and getting astride the 850 on tuesday, to check out the joy of GS'ing myself

magicpantss said:
Hi Guys,
I have been considering getting a G.S for a little while,yesterday I went out looking and found a couple. One was an 850 on a W plate,for about £5300 the other was an 1100 on a V plate for £5700. Both were at a main dealer and both were low milage.
are these prices o.k?
Magic

The 850 engine is supposed to be smoother. I think it isn't as common as its bigger brethren because it was only relatively recently introduced in GS form. The R850R was sold alongside the R1100R, but I think most people went for the bigger lump because it came with standard ABS, didn't cost a lot more than the 850, and the 850 weighed the same. Dimension wise I think they're almost identical.

The 850 GS - particularly in the silver and yellow colour scheme looks an absolute peach - I don't believe the power difference between this and the 1100/1150 would be massive. If it's a decent bike in good nick - go for it. It's a GS after all :)

Cheers

6X

Thanks for your replys chaps, Yes the 850 is the one at linds.
The 850 is in the silver/yellow as in the pictures.It is also £1000 cheaper than I stated earlier at around £4300.
I can ride better than I can type ,honestly!
I will try to test ride it this week,but at that price with 12 months warranty,I think I will soon be joining your band of GSers.

Magic, Go for it, you won't regret it. My 850 is brilliant, just did 150 miles today wet and dry, loved every minute. Mind you, I'm thinking of an upgrade to an 1150 this spring, dunno if I'm wise to do that or not. Know better after the test run

WOGZIE.............

:D

Sorry to hijack the thread.........

:clap :clap :clap Congrats to my m8 for getting his new Gs 850 !

Bilks. .org:D

Re: GS850

WOGZIE said:
but I was at Ocean BMW (seem a good bunch) on saturday and put down a deposit on a SH GS850, Marakesh red, ex GS club members bike with 20,000 on the clock.

Aaah, looks like the 'shopkeepers' have got their new 1150 then. They should be able to haul more T-shirts now...:D :D :D

Steve.....

:D Correct a mondo....

I hear'd that they were seen disappearing over the horizon el prompto on a black/yellow ADV....

Congrates Dave+Val.....the secrets out guys !

Bilks.:thumb

The 850 is a real bargain

I have an 850 and looked specifically for one due to the fact that it is a lot smoother than the 1100/1150. They stopped selling them as mentioned earlier as everyone just went for ther bigger engine for much the same price. (I can see the R850R going the same way also).
The R850GS are quite a bit cheaper then its bigger brothers with what seems little difference elsewhere unless you do alot os 2 up with alot of luggage but even then they are not slow and mine doesn;t suffer from this phanton " stalling syndrome" that I've read about with the larger engines.

What ever you choose they are very capable bikes but a bit agricultural round town.

Have Fun
AndyT:cool:

OK its was us...

The R850GS at Ocean, was ours its had two and ahalf years of TLC from us with a bath once a week all year.
Our new baby is a Sunny Yellow R1150GS (Twin spark) with one or two toys/OE's
Heated Grips (a must)
Handguards
Black Engine
White indicator lenses
Wide Tail
Adv Windshield
AutoCom
ABS
Adv panniers
Engine Bars
Alarm
Remus Y piece
Remus Black Carbon Can
Mud Flaps (Freebie)
Hard Part
Headlight guard
Auto seal
and a full tank (Freebie)

All I'm missing is some Spots (have to wait for B'day).

Having Fun
Dave & Val

:hapybnce: :hapybnce:

D&V

nice one! Look forward to seeing it sometime - Let me know what the new brakes are like especially if you end up off-road / on moor!

cheers and enjoy!

Plymouth Bob

Back
Top Bottom