Lahinch - P Frawley - Mein host

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You can just see P Frawley working away on the hot whiskey after the riding on 3rd Dec.
Note the Birds Custard on top shelf, the Tayto and the St Bridgid's cross, those sine-qua-non of Irish life.
Good man, Jimmy!

Attachments

• P Frawley Lahinch Pub 051203A.jpg
    P Frawley Lahinch Pub 051203A.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 586
...I'm not one for modern pub design, Bin, but that place gives me the creeps!

...I have to compliment you on having captured the dark, forbidding, 1930s depression era. How the hell has such a place survived ? what must the licence be worth? I suppose it could be transferred, lock, stock & barrel! to the National Museum, rather like Francis Bacon's art workshop?

It looks like one of those wonderous places where you wipe your feet on the way out! That's what I call character! Long may they exist.

Andy
From across the North Channel

"It's a local pub, for local people... "
<League of gentlemen reference>

Looks like a great spot.. I love the old style pubs, that haven't sold out to the Fat frog and plasma TV generation...

Sure, imagine if you were thirsting for a pint, but also needed to buy some pickled eggs and a bag of nails? Perfect....

<Just need to check the date on them nails...>

Reminds me of a little pub in Kilreekill, Co.Galway :D

'Tis just as dark - the smoke from the old pot bellied stove in the middle of the small pub doesn't help ! - & all your shopping needs can be met while having a pint of the black stuff :thumb

Used to be run by a little oul fella who looked like he'd never seen the light of day but he passed away a couple of years ago & its now run by his son. Not the same but still good crack if want the 'real' Ireland :D :D

You won't be surpised to know the Plastic Paddy has been there, Pthagonal and I popped in for a wee glass of something and some Birds Custard 1967 vintage back in August after the hordes had left.

Tom, also known as Lahinch's oldest eligable batchelor lives in the room next to the bar. When Pthagonal and I were there he had a delivery of Bulmers which had to be seen to be believed - 8 empties (complete with lids) returned for 8 full bottles!! :D

The drayman didn't bat an eyelid so I guess that wasn't an unusual order for what is the high season at Tom Frawleys!! :eek:

33207525-M-1.jpg

...you wish to keep the name of the Kilreekill pub to yourself, Jochen? So many pubs there, it might be hard to track down. (unless there's smoke billowing out the door, of course)

Eugene's in Ennistymon (N52.94040 W9.29360) is a very nice spot too. Complete with two alstatians that seem to be permanent fixtures in the pub.. Visit it during the day, and the colours are amazing.. (or maybe I was enjoying too much of the black stuff)..

Biddy Early's in Inagh (N52.87731 W9.17497) also does some nice Micro bews...

Since they've done up the only other pub in Kilreekill you can probably work out that its Brodericks - first n the left when you're heading west :D

Tell Ollie I sent ya :thumb (you'll probably be ejected but what the hell :D )

Jaysus lads, Surely it's not GPS you need to find a pub in Ireland?

Top photo, Judge!

Ahhh! P. Frawley's, excelent little pub. Little bit modern for my tastes, by comparison to the Lamb anyway :D but a most enjoyable spot for a beer. Made the ride to Lahinch in the rain worthwhile, well that and the small mater of a party :thumb

Bin Ridin said:
Jaysus lads, Surely it's not GPS you need to find a pub in Ireland?
I've been trying to put together a list of decent Irish pubs, along with GPS co-ordinates, so visitors from foreign parts have a handy guide... Hate the idea of them only visiting the 'super' pubs, and leaving thinking that Irish pubs abroad are as good as the real thing..

I've only managed to five so far though... Probably spending too much time in each of 'em. :beerjug:

Eugenes - Ennistymon
Biddy Early's - Inagh
McGanns / McDermotts - Doolin
Morriseys - Abbeyleix
The Quays - Galway

Could be next years alternative photo rally! (along with designated drivers of course :ymca)

DodgyGeeSer said:
I've been trying to put together a list of decent Irish pubs, along with GPS co-ordinates, so visitors from foreign parts have a handy guide...
What a cracking idea. Make sure you post it here when its done. :bounce1

Half of me says "let them visit the super pubs" but the other half says "let's share" !
As a person who spends more time away than at home, I have to say there are pubs, places and people in Ireland that beat anthing you would find anywhere. Be proud.

...JOE KEANE'S @ Maam Bridge has to be top of the list. Don't let the fact that he also runs the dismal trade, as local undertaker, put you off.

P.J. said:
...JOE KEANE'S @ Maam Bridge has to be top of the list. Don't let the fact that he also runs the dismal trade, as local undertaker, put you off.
Amen P.J. Amen :thumb Hilary Gaynor's in Leenane is excellent also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom