Laminar Lips!

Backfire

Thought I'd stick my tuppence worth in on the screen issue. I've just had a Laminar Lip delivered from the 'States for my 1150 GS. I fitted it this morning and on my initial test ride (to work) it certainly delivered a much smoother airflow to my lid.

It's only been in production for a couple of weeks apparently. It attaches to the standard GS screen, the Adventure screen and the Givi screen. It's basically a shaped piece of perspex which channels the air in the region of the top 4 inches or so of the screen. It's a 10 minute job to attach it (it comes supplied with a velcro-like attaching system). I have the screen on 'middle' setting & I wouldn't say it was any quieter (but there was a fair bit of crosswind this morning) but it will probably solve turbulence problems. That said I am not very tall (5'8") and I didn't have any major complaints about the standard screen except at 90mph on the motorway. I haven't tested it there yet.

It costs $75 + $25 air parcel post + £25 excise etc (paid to Mr Parcel Force on my doorstep)... so it's not exactly cheap but it does add another option to the screen list. It took one week to arrive.

Check it out at: http://www.laminarlip.com

Cheers
Tim

Tim

Welcome to the looney bin - any chance you could post a picture or two - preferably from the front and back.

Cheers

6X

Thanks for the welcome 6X. I'll see what I can do about photos. I'm not sure where I've put my digital camera.

BTW I've tried the screen at 80 mph and I'm very pleased with the performance.

Cheers
Tim

Backfire said:
... I'll see what I can do about photos....

BTW I've tried the screen at 80 mph and I'm very pleased with the performance.
Tim

Photo's would be good as I fololw the link and it did not show me the screen on the GSA.

Tried the GSA in the rain on Friday and Saturday. I am just at the height where flecks of spray and muck get my visor but the airflow is insufficient to keep that clean. Have to slightly raise my visor for decent airflow or more rain to hit and then I get a soggy head. Could also be the airflow over the helmet so will try a different helmet in the rain....

Laminar Lip photos

Assuming that I've pressed all the right buttons you should see 3 photos of the Laminar Lip I've fitted to my bike. One front view (this post), one rear view (next post), one side-on (last post). I hope this is useful.

Cheers
Tim

Attachments

• laminar lip side.jpg
    laminar lip side.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 885
Laminar Lip photos cont'd.

Hmmm, seems I've cocked this up a bit!

Attachments

• laminar lip front.jpg
    laminar lip front.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 876
Laminar Lip photo rear

Last one (Not in the order I stated above!)

Attachments

• laminar lip rear.jpg
    laminar lip rear.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 866
Tim

No cock-up at all from where I'm sitting - very useful - thanks a lot.

You still pleased with the results ?

Cheers

Philip (6X)

Hi Philip,

glad to be of help.

I'm still pleased with the results but I would say that I haven't tried it out at motorway speeds for extended periods of time. I've blatted down the A36 and the A4 (at 90 where possible) but of course that's not really the equivalent of an hour or more cruising at 90 on the M4. As soon as I do I'll post my impressions.

I should say that my expectations weren't particularly high prior to fitting. For example, I didn't expect a quiet bubble of still air (didn't want one either - I like to feel the wind) but I am pleased with the smoothing out of the flow. If I get a chance tonight I'll take a spin along the motorway. Failing that I'm afraid I'll have to report in a couple of weeks time because I'm off to Austria for a bit (of snow!). I have also noticed that things are more quiet with my BMW System lid than with my Shoei Syncrotec (which is a drafty old bucket).

Cheers
Tim

Been there,done that,made my own - works brilliantly !
M

Attachments

• laminar lip2.jpg
    laminar lip2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 827
Motomartin

Yours looks good. You ought to patent it before someone else does!

Tim

motomartin - that looks suspiciously like an old helmet visor turned upside down !

Your name reminds me of a bike I used to go and drool over in the early 80's - a moto martin Honda CBX six cylinder beast - they had one in a little motorbike shop in Staines (where I lived at the time). How I used to gaze mournfully over the shag pile at this glorious beast, then go out and depart on my knackered CB100N!

6X

Backfire said:
Hi Philip,

Failing that I'm afraid I'll have to report in a couple of weeks time because I'm off to Austria for a bit (of snow!). I have also noticed that things are more quiet with my BMW System lid than with my Shoei Syncrotec (which is a drafty old bucket).

Cheers
Tim
If you're around on the 18th you could come to the Air Balloon in Birdlip - see Vern's post in the local events forum.

Otherwise - sure we'll meet up one day.

Cheers

Philip - 6X

i didnt write much about my 'lip' because i originally wrote all the details and the net crashed and i lost it all.
So yes - it is an old helmet visor - but its a pre-formed 3mm thick racing visor in tough polycarbonate.
I dipped it in boiling water and used a heat gun to form it correctly, parallel to the original screen. It keeps the airflow laminar and non-turbulent.
The sides were profiled with a foam drum sander and work to keep the airflow off my shoulders - yes, really. This is the third incarnation. I added some screen tint film to try to keep the colour the same as the original screen.

I've got to say this works brilliantly - no turbulence,no vacuum suck effect. The air seems to hit the very top inch of my helmet, so no helmet shake as original. Its also quieter.
This was practical experimentation coupled with a bit of practical airflow knowledge.

The motomartin name is because one of my other bike is a MotoMartin kawa z1000 - yes,with the chrome wrap around frame, similar to early Harris's. Also got a MotoGuzzi Lemon2

More LiP...

Backfire,

Thanks for the photo's, I'm expecting delivery of my GS on the 14th April and have started to collect bits to mod/add.

I've got a Laminar LiP on my VFR800 and find it's OK and does improve airflow over the screen etc.

Did you experiment with the Lip position? I.e distance from screen top edge?

Cheers,;)

Back
Top Bottom