gps

justin

Guys and girls, any thoughts good or bad on navigation? Particularly the BMW one. Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks

Justin

justin said:
Guys and girls, any thoughts good or bad on navigation? Particularly the BMW one. Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks

Justin
Kind of depends on your requirements Justin. The BMW Navigator (Garmin Streetpilot III) is a big ticket item and if you're after turn-by-turn navigation with voice prompt, colour screen and the ability to handle large amounts of data, then it is the kiddie for ya. However there are many models worthy of consideration if your requirements are less than those catered for by the BMW Nav/SPIII.

Also do bear in mind that an SPIII deluxe can be had for a lot less sheckles than the BMW Navigator, as much as £400 difference!!!

Many of the models are discussed in length on the GPS forums, GPS V, 176, SPIII and others.

Justin, Study the previous posts and pick the solution that's right for you, BUT you are only going to do this once so start out with what your'e going to end up with.

Re: Re: gps

judge said:

Also do bear in mind that an SPIII deluxe can be had for a lot less sheckles than the BMW Navigator, as much as £400 difference!!!

Be a bit careful on the Navigator vs Streetpilot III Deluxe as the Navigator has a few extra parts which are extra on the Deluxe (I think USB Card reader & mount & BMW Powercable). Accessories for Garmin are expensive (www.expansys.com)...

Overall I found Garmin Europe very helpful in all queries and assistance. They replaced my Navigator for GBP180 after it had self destructed during a 60mph bounce along the road. Be careful on the mounts you use (hence my need to spend 180...)

Re: Re: Re: gps

AdamZ said:
Be a bit careful on the Navigator vs Streetpilot III Deluxe as the Navigator has a few extra parts which are extra on the Deluxe (I think USB Card reader & mount & BMW Powercable).

The SPIII does come with the USB card-reader, but not a BMW mount and powercable.

However, the quid pro quo is that the SPIII Deluxe comes with beanbag mount and fixed dashboard mount.

In terms of functionality, the only Navigator advantage that I am aware of is the location of BMW dealers. That, frankly, is a function that I consider next to worthless!

I think that given the vagaries of BMW Navigator software/firmware/data upgrades and the extra £400 on the price tag, the SPIII Deluxe is the winner.

Greg

Garmin GPs V does it for me. Cheaper more compact and more than good enough as long as you don't mind uploading maps and routes when you plan a trip away.

Gecko,

How do you upload maps whilst away from home. Do you take a laptop with you or have you found some other cunning plan?

Dennis:confused:

Map uploads

The SPC 111 128 mb card takes an awfull lot of information eg Accrington - Dover - Limoges - Pamplona - Segovia - Ainsa - Salers - Beaune - Arras - Accrington. All at street level (where available) and autorouting capable. Plus if you pay £200 for another card the skys the limit. However the price for this flexibility is the increased purchase price.

Re: Re: Re: Re: gps

Greg Masters said:
In terms of functionality, the only Navigator advantage that I am aware of is the location of BMW dealers. That, frankly, is a function that I consider next to worthless!
Au contraire Rodder's that is a function/feature I'd pay extra not to have - especially since the soppy sods embedded it in the basemaps!! :D

Back
Top Bottom