Wrynose - Hardnott Pass....

BikerDave

..... in the Lake District.

Who's done this run then? Did it a couple of years back on my GPZ900R, can't wait do do it again on the GS.

I was going to do it 2 whole weeks but the day before I had my bike nicked so rather than go without i packed my mountain bike and went by train
The area is absolutely awesome for roads scenery and historical gumph I stayed just out of ambleside place called elterwater at the brittania inn its a nice pint and breakfast sets u up for the day
Anyway I hope you manage to get up there by motorised means but its just a great area on 2 wheels

Hardnott pass

Road over Hardnott & Wrynose pass about 2 weeks ago, cold but dry and sunny, takes me about 30 minutes to get there from where I live, do the run when ever possible.
It's Brill.:)

done it on my VFR750 & TDM850 in the late 90s

Yet to do it on the GS - when you live in SE Wales you do not tend to cross the Wye or Severn into England very often for a ride on the bke.

Been over several times.

Walk in the Park !!

Nice views though.;)

CC

Done it many times in both directions in/on everything from mountainbikes to transit vans . . . but had my only "drop" on my GS riding up the Hardknott.

WARNING
Do not do this route on a sunny weekend.
Do not follow too close behind overweight saloons packed full of mum, dad and kids.

I was tearing up the pass and quickly came up behind a Peugeot 406 fully laden with holiday-makers spinning its wheel on the steep hairpin before the top. I ended up having to stop on the steepest part of the inside of the hairpin as the Peugeot lost traction, the driver stood on the clutch and the brakes wouldn't hold the car. He started sliding back towards me and I was left with no alternative but to roll backwards . . . not a very sensible maneouvre on a 45-degree slope on a GS. I was about to roll backwards off the road when the bike started to tip to the right and the edge of the road was a good foot lower than the road surface. Over I went and the bike carried on sliding backwards down the slope.

The C**T in the Peugeot revved up, dumped the clutch and off he went spiining his front wheels leaving 12,000 miles worth of tread on the road. Nothing hurt but my pride and about £150 of damage to the bike.

Take the hairpins wide and wait until the road ahead is clear right through the bend.

I know someone else who dropped their bike there in similar circumstances.

The car in front stalled, the rider put her left foot down only to find the ground was sloping away to the left further than she thought. The bike passed the point of no return and down it went, breaking the clutch lever.

When the sun is shining, you'll get to see some stunning scenery, but unfortunately all the grockles in their tin boxes come out to block the road. You just have to keep a sufficient distance between yourself and the car infront, 'coz when they fail to make the climb, they just reverse back down the hill to have another go without bothering to check what's behind them.

Despite all this, it's still one of the best and most challenging roads I've been on in this country (particularly on a sportsbike), so it's gonna be fun trying it now on the GS.

Ridden it many times on Bike Tours in the past.

I'm up in the Lakes for a week over Easter, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the GS copes :D

For those who haven't been...

Attachments

• pass2.jpg
    pass2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 541
Jim
Did you pack the GS into the back of a van to keep it that clean?

Clean machine

Heyup Adrian - you might get sight of it tomorrow night - covered in crap at present from Jez's off road event at Tong - IT WILL NOT WASH OUT :-(

Another

What about this shot then? (Lee Burrow doing it in reverse!)

Attachments

• pass1.jpg
    pass1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 495
When I started reading this thread I was going to write that I thought this road was too tight and bumpy to get your pegs down. Simon Easom, however, proved me wrong. Even though he was traveling backwards!!

Howard Millichap said:
When I started reading this thread I was going to write that I thought this road was too tight and bumpy to get your pegs down. Simon Easom, however, proved me wrong. Even though he was traveling backwards!!

Pillion pegs an' all, Howard, I bet you're impressed!

But, your first comment is actually true and I was going to say the same before deciding to confess! You do the Hardknott for the scenery and general pleasure of riding over a high(ish) pass, but as bike-riding goes it's not difficult, nor fast, nor particularly satisfying from a pure riding perspective . . . lot better roads in the Lake District for that.

Did it several times on an Africa Twin :) Excellant fun.

Wouldn't dream of doing it when busy on a bike without first gear.

(Ducks behind wall to await brickbats)

I'll leave you to guess which of BMW's finest I am currently seeking an R850GS (ABS model) final drive for.

Richard :->

Gotta agree with you Simon on the 'wait till its clear' thing.
Even if it means a few minute wait at the bottom, sit it out and allow a load of time for sunday morons to clear.
The wife and i had a similar one to Simon, thought we'd given enough time but obviously caught up too quick (Wondered why the guy in the Disco sat in a layby at the bottom), guy in front stalled but luckily i had enough space to off road it past up the 1 in 3 leaning forward but with the front wheel still skipping skywards.
Shit meself.
Take it carefully

They're both bloody good roads for the gs. but much better on a honda xr400:D :D
kirkstone pass is another good road:)

Did you know........

MickL,

The Britannia was/is Chris Bonningtons' "Local"

I agree, nice place in a nice spot.:)

CC

Did it on the GS last september with the wife on the back and full luggage. I loved it,she burst into tears in between the 2 passes and was grumpy all the way home ( all 250 miles of it) . She was petrified apparantly. Silly cow.......

The wobblers in cars are a real danger as they have no handle of how awkward a fully laden bike is on those tight uphill hairpins , and just go soooo slow in front of you just when you need a quick stab of speed to get you round the corners.

Next time I'll do it solo so I can give it a real blast.

Marcus.:D

Back
Top Bottom