Quantocks Ride

Trippy

Went out for a nice ride yesterday with X-Bootie and rode across the Quantock hills ( Somerset, 10 minutes from home ).
The trail starts 1 mile east of West Bagborough at the parking area Map 140 ST 180338 and heads NE over the hills 10 miles to West Quantoxhead 1/2 a mile from the sea. The route is a mixture of very slippy mud, big puddles and stone tracks under tree's and over open moorland. Highest point is about 380 metres but nfortunatly it was a bit cloudy so you cant really see the lovely views. As you can see from one of the photo's we found a monster puddle which just had to be slashed in and at one point the bike managed to stand in the mud on its own. All possible on anakees but knobblies would be even better and when I,ve got some spare cash I might chuck a set on. Putting this on a work so I'm afraid you have to click on the link to see the photo's.click here
Jim

my parents / brothers family live in Milverton. I cycled across the top of them about 10 yrs ago.
I can still feel the pain in my arse :)

Forgot to say we did it both ways so 20 smiles in all and click on slide show to see the photos better.
Im in Wivey 3 miles from Milverton, nice little village but a shame they,ve changed another drinking pub into a 4 star hotel lobby.

That`s what I call a puddle! :D

Attachments

• 9f7fre2.jpg
    9f7fre2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 329
Yeah big eh. I like this one too. Made my self a snorkel last night so Im off looking for more deep water.

Attachments

• puddles.jpg
    puddles.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 318
Brave man Trippy, especially when you can't see whats on the bottom...or even if there IS a bottom!!!

bikermike said:
Brave man Trippy, especially when you can't see whats on the bottom...or even if there IS a bottom!!!

He did walk it first - and got wet feet too :D

Shaun if you look at the os map and ref in 1st post you see a parking area. you get on to the dirt there through an unlocked gate and basically follow your nose NE on the tracks that take you to West Quantoxhead. Worth taking a map with you cos there are a few that head off in various directions but you cant really go that wrong, just dont take the one to the left of Triscombe Quarry which as you can tell from the contour lines is f**king steep and you dont want to go down it cos you wont get back up.

We usually start off at Lydeard hill car park grid ref 180 338 then head along the RUPP or track to Crowcombe park gate grid ref 149 373 and then the last bit to West Quantoxhead car park at grid ref 117 410, then turn around and go back. Some of the tracks are hard to follow as they split many times so a map might help, and the last section, some of it is loose stones (more like rocks), but it is just over 6 miles from end to end and about 12 1/2 if you turn around and go back

Its is not a bad little run and Trippy and i both have Anakees on and we have amanaged it alright, last wednesday we met a bloke and his family out for a drive on top of the hills in a rover metro !!!! :eek: and he was very determined, but managed to get from West Quantoxhead to Crowcombe park gate in it :clap :nenau

Regards Adrian

Last edited:
puddlescopyupdateje9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

With a snorkel will it end up like this?

Back
Top Bottom