REPAINTING FORK LOWERS

I used Smooth Hammerite.

It will chip again but touch-up matches are easy so is a rub down and re-spray when required.
44327104-M.jpg

If it is aluminium then you will need a self-etch primer such as "acid etch No 8" available from halfords for about £10 a can. This chemically eats into the oxide layer on the aluminium to allow bonding of any further layers of paint. Once the primer has cured, spray with a few layers of your chosen topcoat colour then seal with a couple of layers of clearcoat lacquer. Or you could price up getting it sprayed professionally for a really nice finish in 2-pack paint (hard and tough long lasting finish).

fork bottoms

baldycop said:
Repainting fork lowers etc;due to bubbling/oxidisation any recommendations on paint etc? :thumb
Yeah i used hammerite on my 1150 still ok and thats 2 years ago 'but you must get all of corrosion off first

baldycop said:
Repainting fork lowers etc;due to bubbling/oxidisation any recommendations on paint etc? :thumb

i have just done mine with hammerite smooth silver.
Just a few tips, take great care to prepare the damaged area and wipe down with thinners first to get rid of any dirt.
Warm up the paint, leave in on a radiator for a while, warm up the fork legs with a fan heater or such like.
First coat do a very 'dry coat' and let that go off.
Keep piant and fork legs warm and apply second coat, this time really put a very 'wet coat' on, take care not to let it run.
Keep the area warm for about an hour and then dont touch it for as long as possible to harden off.
have some pics somewhere if interested

Before you start get your self a mask, a propper one with a filter, and use it, if you dont the fumes will make you very unwell, guess how i know that !

:thumb

Pomm pmd you, am doing the same but the bloody dolts are all corroded what i thought would be a days job is turning into a F*****G trial. :thumb

baldycop said:
Pomm pmd you, am doing the same but the bloody dolts are all corroded what i thought would be a days job is turning into a F*****G trial. :thumb

you should have mail

:beer:

Back
Top Bottom