Off road bracket?

dirtydog

Reaction score
'With A Beautiful Blonde Bull Terrier Wrangler In
I really like the look of the TT MVG. I thought this would be the most suitable one to use with it's extra shock absorbing ability for a 2610?

I've been 'trawling' through previous posts for the past 387 hours and found one that said these brackets really zap the reception ability due to their metal construction?

So, what are the alternatives? The remote ariel seems a bit awkward although I've not seen one fitted (pictures please) What other bracket would be suitable for an un-prepared 2610 taking a good 'bashin' off-road

Abuse like this!
DSC00167.jpg
[/IMG]

TT bracket does interfere with reception quite noticably, but i think they are a good idea on or off road (i really only use mine on road).

i mount my remote ariel on the front brake reservoir with velcro. it's neat but is a bit a fag as it's got a stupidly fiddly little plug to disconnect when removing the gps. it boosts reception significantly though.

there is about a 1/2 metre of cable & i only need about 300mm. i just coil it up.

last year i even went as far as buying some connectors to shorten it. unfortunately there was no way round the need for the correct crimp tool at abot £150 so i just have it long.

the rubber flap that covers the arial & USB connectors does not look like it would keep out much water whether anything is plugged in or not. once it has been used it tends to want too pop out leaving both sockets rather exposed anyway. not had a problem yet.

I was going to share my (alleged) wisdom on this subject and then realised I don't actually know what make of mounting cradle I have for my 2610! I bought it second hand and it all came together.

Basically it's a plastic cradle that goes behind the GPS, and it has a catch on the top that when pressed down, holds the GPS in place. This catch then has a small screw in it, with a security Torx type head, then when screwed down ensures the catch can't come open. A tiny little torx driver was supplied with the cradle.

Anyway, whatever make that is, I've not had any problems when using it off road. I have the cradle attached to the bike using the usual RAM arm and ball arrangement.

Prepared in what way? As far as I know it's totally standard - is it possible to get "ruggedised" versions then? I always thought the Garmin units were pretty tough anyway.

Mouse said:
Prepared in what way? As far as I know it's totally standard - is it possible to get "ruggedised" versions then? I always thought the Garmin units were pretty tough anyway.

i think TT splodge some silicone into the units they sell

Erk, silicone into the GPS itself? It's meant to be waterproof to a metre for 30 minutes (or something like that) anyway. Or is the theory that squirting it full of gunk will make it more resistant to shock? Sounds like it would bugger up your warranty though!

i think that's what they do, but i'm not certain.

i don't think they fill it up with silicone, just stick a few bits down that might come loose :nenau

i guess you get a TT warranty.

yes, but the difference is less noticable. might be not worth bothering with.

i have a TT bracket + a RAM plastic cradle but i nearly always use the TT bracket. it's too big, overpriced and inteferes with the signal, but it locks, looks an amazing bit of kit & i like the way the gps just floats in it :)

dirtydog said:
So you don't have any probs with reception in the TT MVG mount with remote antenna fitted? I really want the TT mount so I guess the antenna is a must?

TT mount + antenna gives better reception than RAM + no remote IMO

Back
Top Bottom