Stelvio.

Noddy

Some sort of clique thing
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New camera position, nice :thumb

Been there so many times but don't remember the memorial, checked loads of my pictures but no sight of it. Strange :nenau

Attachments

• stelviolive_01 (Small).jpg
    stelviolive_01 (Small).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 197
looked a bit different when I got me t-shirt last september in glorious sunshine :)

I haven't heard anyone say they have actually enjoyed riding the Stelvio Pass - should I give it a miss or is it worth the effort. I don't want to do it just to say I have.

iaing said:
I haven't heard anyone say they have actually enjoyed riding the Stelvio Pass - should I give it a miss or is it worth the effort. I don't want to do it just to say I have.

Rode the Stelvio in July last year, had a great days riding the Stelvio was the high light, will do it again. :thumb

iaing said:

Personally I can't say I enjoyed it that much I guess like many bikers it was just one I wanted to cross off my list .

Can't think how'd you'd spend all day riding it unless you kept going up & down it :)
Unfortunately I misunderstood the road sign at the top thinking it was open between 12 & 1 while road works at the bottom stopped for lunch.I didn't realize it ment off the bottom by 1 so of course by the time I had worked my way down all the bloody hairpins two up fully loaded only to find it closed & I had to ride all the way back up & back into Switzerland & round it.
Only good thing was there werent a great deal of traffic so I could take a wider line on the hair pins once the pan european rider had picked his up & eventually got going again.

Yes I would maybe do it again but it aint for the faint hearted .Bit like hardnott & wynrose in the lakes except not a couple of hairpins 48 or there abouts .

iaing said:

Well worth doing. Can't wait to go back

iaing said:
i can't its a enjoyable experience on a big bike but youve got to do it its a bit like southend sea front at the top all hotdogs [bratworst] and fried onions & purveyors of stuffed marmets but its fun in a perverse sort of way . The timmel joch is far better smooth grippy tarmac , much more open hairpins ,better still go southeat a bit more and do the dolomites [much more fun]

barkin pumpkin said:
i can't its a enjoyable experience on a big bike but youve got to do it its a bit like southend sea front at the top all hotdogs [bratworst] and fried onions & purveyors of stuffed marmets but its fun in a perverse sort of way . The timmel joch is far better smooth grippy tarmac , much more open hairpins ,better still go southeat a bit more and do the dolomites [much more fun]

It's not much fun from a riding perspective, but well worth the effort for the spectacular view :thumb

The South Tirol and the Dolomites are relatively close together, so you could do both on the same trip.

I really must ride the Timmelsjoch again as everyone says it's one of the best passes in the Alps - unfortunately, it was foggy and raining when I rode it in June (and I had a two-wheeled drift around one of the corners and nearly crashed :eek: Without my off-road experience, I'm sure I'd have lost it.......) :(

BY all means do it - just so as you don't have to do it again.

Just don't choose a day when over 200 cyclists are coming the other way :eek

DAMHIK!

26919982-M-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom