intercom without electric

John O'Kane

I have been told that there is a type of intercom which uses tubes/pipes and is more effective and trouble free than those which use electronics. Does anyone know how I could find out more and where I could get one?

JohnO

Dave & Val use this system, many years ago when the Mrs and I toured Ireland we used the Backchat system that was the current model then. I can't based on my own experience describe it as trouble free, it was particularly fiddly to get right and often defeated if it wasn't right. That said I guess you get used to it and it was an incarnation of a system in its early days. I now use an Autocom Pro-M1, now that is an effective unit though you couldn't describe it as cheap ;)

I've used the Backchat for a number of years and it's fine - it's even better when you realise that it costs only about £50 for the most expensive model! It is also completely immune to electrical interference.

My pillion happily map reads and I can easily understand her instructions when using the Backchat.

The little earplugs exclude wind roar over the helmet - except any that catches the microphone.

It occasionally suffers from wind noise if you don't position the microphone carefully and the points where the pipes join to the helmet junction (the bit that sticks to the side of the helmet) worked lose but this was fixed with a little Superglue. It can be a little tedious being unable to switch your pillion's dulcet tones off but you soon get used to that.

If you do buy one you'll see that they recommend fitting the helmet junction to the left side of the riders helmet and the right side for the pillion. Do the opposite so that you have most slack in the pipes when your pillion alights (assuming they get off to the left of the bike).

At £50 it's a better gamble than an electronic intercom.

Richard

PS their Backmap is a very good idea but it won't hold an Ordance Survey map folded to display two pages.

R

In fact the BMW France dealer organization is looking at distributing a new intercom system which is totally wireless. It uses radio frequency and/or IR to communicate with the rider and passenger. But it doesn't have all the capabilities of the Autocom, just intercom and radio.

John,

Just to back up Richard's comments, SWMBO and I have used the Backchat system for the last 12 months and think it is pretty good for the money.

My only reservation is that it gets very noisy over 60 (perhaps I should heed Richards remarks about mic positioning) and if I'm doing a long stretch of motorway will stop and take it off because of that.

As I try and do as little M-way riding as possible, this isn't a prob so for £50, I'd take the gamble... I've tried using an Autocom bike to bike system (lent to me) and we couldn't get it right. That cost hundreds!

Martyn

Mike Werner said:
In fact the BMW France dealer organization is looking at distributing a new intercom system which is totally wireless. It uses radio frequency and/or IR to communicate with the rider and passenger. But it doesn't have all the capabilities of the Autocom, just intercom and radio.
It can't be that long brfore someone applies bluetooth to this game, though I doubt it will be Autocom, can you imagine the price?!!! Best they stick to their 'Heath-Robinson' approach :D

autocom

Stop messing about and get an autocom it's the only one that really works.

john:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

I picked up a Backchat system on eBay (NEW) for £17. You see them often for about this price.

It was actually a battery operated job, but worked amazingly well. As my wife is a very occasional pillion (three times a year say) it was fine enough, and a real bargain at that price.

The major irritation was fitting the ear piece into the ear each time you put your helmet on - but it actually stayed in place surprisingly well.

Norman

judge said:
It can't be that long brfore someone applies bluetooth to this game, though I doubt it will be Autocom, can you imagine the price?!!! Best they stick to their 'Heath-Robinson' approach :D

Can you imagine the unit with bluetooth....? One unit that use Bluetooth for the intercom, BT for the GSM phone, for the GPS, hell even for the walky-talky. And no wires.

.... I had a dream......

Bluetooth would seem to be the answer to a load of snags. The only problem I can see is powering a wireless headset - you'll need considerably more amplification than a standard hands free 'phone headset. I'd certainly be interested in a proven cordless headset.....

Mike

Bluetooth

Mike O said:
Bluetooth would seem to be the answer to a load of snags. The only problem I can see is powering a wireless headset - you'll need considerably more amplification than a standard hands free 'phone headset. I'd certainly be interested in a proven cordless headset.....

Bluetooth still needs wires, I fit them every day.

John:D :D

Re: Bluetooth

roadrider said:
Bluetooth still needs wires, I fit them every day.

John:D :D [/B]

How so? My mate's hands free headset doesn't - why would a bike one need to have a wire connecting the helmet to the bike?

Mike:confused:

Vemar the Italian helmet makers are launching Bluetooth helmets in the UK late September. The battery lasts 10hrs and are rechargeable from a plug in charger.
Rider to mobile phone, rider to passenger or other close by rider, communications without wires at last. Well done Vemar!

Re: autocom

roadrider said:
Stop messing about and get an autocom it's the only one that really works.

sorry John but ya wrong. there is only 1 intercom that really works and ya can plug in ya cellphone mp3 and numerous other gadets. even autocom owners are changing to these quality made german units

its the baehr system @ www.challengermotors.co.nz

a vary good site that explains it all

now would i buy a Truimph or a BMW

Ill take the german item thanks :p :p :p

Back
Top Bottom