PC to Mac should I do it?

AdventureCleverly

Working with a designer recently I was very impressed by his Power Mac G4 - I need to buy a desk top for my office so I am thinking of converting over from PC.

What do you experts reckon? I'm after something more stable, not prone to slooooooowiiiiiiing down after a year and easy to use for MP3s, photos etc

I know they are a bit more pricey, but I'm v tempted.

Richard

You will not be dissapointed with a switch to the Mac platform. They are good looking functional machines and the Mac operating system OSX is rock solid and so easy to use. PC's are good enough of course and faster, if you pay the extra, but the Mac platform has an extra ingrediant that all GSer's should recognise, the Apple machines are just somehow nicer, more individual and have a feel good factor not found using a beige box.
Of course I may be slightly biased.

Regards
Andy80F

Adventure - good question!!

The "Megahertz myth" dictates that a Windoze machine ought to be faster, however pound for pound a G4 PowerPC chip will outgun it's Intel counterpart in almost every aspect (particularly high end apps. like photoshop and 3d rendering software) especially those with dual chips. Don't be fooled into thinking that a Mac is more expensive. A GS is more expensive than an ORDINARY bike but look at what you get for your money!!

If you're just looking for internet and the odd Word document then you may as well buy a cheap fast PC but should you want to look into things like desktop video etc. then don't even consider a PC.

OSX 10.4 is THE definitive multi tasking OS and when you consider that you'll get everything you need in the box including the ability to create your own movies and record them on to DVD with chapters and menus etc. plus the I-life software i-tunes (the dogs bollox when it comes to MP3), Imovie and Idvd, Iphoto for all your digital photography stuff etc. etc. plus the inredible ease of the Mac OS and design of the machines themselves, you can't really go wrong.

Go for it - you'll NEVER EVER switch back to Windoze.

Think GS - think Different!!

Good luck

Richard - MAC evangelist sitting in front of a dual 1.25ghz G4 with 23" HD Cinema display:beerjug:

Richard34 said:

Richard - MAC evangelist sitting in front of a dual 1.25ghz G4 with 23" HD Cinema display:beerjug:

Attachments

• img_0542.jpg
    img_0542.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 205
well, you can't get a pc that looks like that i must say, very nice, but some of the mini itx & shuttle formats are quite pretty.

also windows xp doesn't slow down after a year and is pretty stable.

I've been a pretty intensive PC user for about 15 years now.

Last year I've had to use a mac for a few weeks to do a job on mac-only software. So my mac experience is more than just a look or a few hours of testing. I can tell you, it drove me crazy! You're an absolute beginner all over again. I use THREE mouse buttons and all kinds of shortcuts on a PC. On a mac, you can forget about all that. It's simple yes. Too damn simple if you ask me.

I've got Windows XP on both office and home pc's and it is quite trouble free. I like the multiple user setup at home. The kids have their own settings, start menu and desktop looks for games, my wife has hers for things she uses, I have mine.

You'll find PC software everywhere, official and not-so-official. Mac software is not very well spread.

In my opinion, it's best to leave the macs to the designers.

Regards,
Michel

That's what I mean by "Windoze!!!!"

why complain about things being simple?

All of the above and much much more can be done on a Mac - it's just SIMPLER!!

p.s. not sure about the skirting boards - the house is a converted cave.

Do it

I work for a small, Mac-based company with large design/engineering clients. Our clients' networks are typically PC-based and it's never been a problem.

Any MS documents transfer over no problems (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and all picture formats are also recognised. Macs will cut CDs to PC-readable formats. As our client list grew we did think about swapping over to PCs about 3-4 years ago but hung in there and I'm glad we did 'cos there are no reasons for swapping now.

On top of that we actually like the machines and the design of the user interface. When you're sat in front of something for XX hours a day it does help.

AND most viruses are intended for PCs.......

Wouldn't swap it for the world. :D

BLL

i was going to say you can't play "medal of honour" on a mac, but it seems you can.

damn & blast :(

but you prolly won't have enough mouse buttons to be effective :D

Medal Of Honour is native on the mac but the myth about no games being available was quashed years ago when a Sony Playstation Emulator was available, for PS1 games, and before the might of Sony rose up and killed it off. I hope they bring out a version for OSX and PS2 but Sony will probably fight it again. There are now so many games availabel the emulator is not really needed bar to enable the use of the PS games I already have.

VisitMacGold for the latest Mac Games and the best prices.

Regards
Andy80F

but more mouse buttons/wheel must help?

i'm just off to open a can of whupass on some mac users on blueyonder :D

You can do it

I have a 3 button mouse with a wheel on my Mac. Logitech sell them, do exactly the same as the PC ones.

BLL

what do i know? i've only seen macs with one button.

anyhow, i got caned at MOHAA. given up in a sulk :mad:

No reason not to add a different mouse. Microsofts Intellimouse, with the scroll wheel etc, is my mouse of choice though most USB types seem to work without fuss. Can't think of much that does not work and many items have support built in just like XP now does, but then Apple pioneered "plug-and-play".

Regards
Andy80F

hi all

In the constant search for newer and ever more shineyer toys, I am thinking of ditchin me old laptop for one on them 12"powerbooks, but I have a bit of a question about the pc software that I use [MSProject and Autocad]. I am not too bothered about being compatable with the above, but I cant' seem to find any like for like comparisons with the mac CAD and project planning software

any advice before I go and look like a prat down at the local apple store

Simple - get "Windoze" (Virtual PC by Connectix) on the Mac and then you can run any software you like!!

On a Mac with a G4 processor it'll run like billyo.

Enjoy

p.s. the 17" Powerbook is much nicer!!!

Agree with Mr. 34

Virtual PC is indeed the answer to run MS Project. I believe there are Mac-native project planning packages out there, but MS Project seems pretty much the exchange format these days.

On the CAD front, you could use the Mac-native package Vectorworks10, which exports/imports DXF and DWG formats (AutoCad compatible).

BLL

Richard34 said:
Simple - get "Windoze" (Virtual PC by Connectix) on the Mac and then you can run any software you like!!

On a Mac with a G4 processor it'll run like billyo.

Enjoy

p.s. the 17" Powerbook is much nicer!!!
I like the idea of the simplicity of the mac os, would it not be defeating the object to get all loved up with OSX and then go any cover it up with nasty old windoze again, or do I simply not understand the concept of the virtual pc software thinngy

:confused:

I agree whoeheartedly - OSX is a thing of beauty so why ruin it?!!

Basically Virtual PC is exactly what it say's on the tin "Virtual" you only use it to run the Windoze stuff that you really really need. Once your'e done either leave it running in the background or quit out of it.

MS Project is probably one of the only bits of software that doesn't really have a Mac equivalent, so Virtual PC was invented for exactly this kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom