Back to a boxer today

Franm

Hi All,

I'm new here. I got back on a BM last year mainly due to a house move out the country. At the time a 650GS seemed to be exactly what I needed and I purchased a nice clean '02 example with only 4K km on the clock. The bike has met my needs but I really missed the low centre of gravity of the boxer, not to mention the sound and the heaters at my feet (i.e. the cylinders). I therefore spent the last few months lusting for a boxer again. (having rode a 90/6 in the '80s/ early '90s).
Last Sat was my day as I took a nice looking '00 R850GS for a blast along some windy roads at my nearest BM dealer. I was immediatley smitten and with permission of my other half a deal was done. It didn't come cheap but it has a lot of extras and it seems to be the model that best suits my needs at the moment. Herself did remark that someone has to pay for the new showroom and that work of art hanging in the lobby (she knows about this stuff).
Anyway, I pick up the bike late this evening and I'm really looking forward to the 70mile journey home. Weather conditions are good here so it should be a pleasant trip.
Undoubtly I initially will have loads of questions and many spring to mind at the moment e.g the technique for putting it on the centre stand. However I shall trawl through the archives first and maybe post my queries then.

I look forward to happy days here
Namaste (that's yoga speak, means the light in me salutes the light in you)
Fran
(Limerick)

Hello Fran

Welcome aboard... :thumb

Congrats on the bike...there`s been some discussion of the 850GS here lately,and it seems to have quite a lot of devotees....a few ex-owners seem to regret having sold theirs.

Enjoy !!

Welcome to the nuthouse Fran :beer:

Keep an eye on the Ireland section for details of ride-outs, etc. ;)

Or arrange your own - plenty of GS's in your corner of the country :thumb

Safe riding & hopefully we'll see ya out there sometime :D :D

Hello and welcome

Took the R80GS out today for a run down to Charleville to look at a garden shed for the ride on and other garden bits and pieces. Found what I was looking for and came back thru Kilmallock into Limerick for Mr Binman, then to Roxboro to check that the ALDI wasn't yet opened, then over to find that Halfords will be opening in the next week and thence home. The Parabellum screen that I fitted is manic, little or no buffeting when behind trunks, but I find myself going constantly faster than I believe I'm going as the wind blast is vastly reduced - still some helmet buffeting which almost disappears when I shrink down into the seat.
Had almost as much fun as when out on a Poker Run on Saturday on the XT225.
Arrived home to find Phil Spector Back to Mono 4 CD set had been delivered but had to give the GS a clean before I could have a listen.
Off sick, as you might know, but the dope I'm taking for the back pain is mighty, particularily the strong dose I take in the evening :bounce1 :p .
Enjoy the new beast, even if it is an oilhead - you're forgiven as you still have the R90/6.
See you back in work early in February.
And now to bed for some rest - peel another grape, dear.

Small world isn't it.

Thanks for the welcome folks,
Well, you'll be pleased hear that I made it home safe last night on my maiden voyage. And not a hint of "buyers remorse"........yet!.
It was a most enjoyable trip much nicer than the delivery of the 650GS.
It took me a little while to stop beeping when I changed beam though and more worringly blipping the throttle when cancelling the indicators.

The whole dealer experience was good and I even got to talk to the mechanic while they topped the GS up with fuel.

Enought said here.......now off to the technical section.

Fran
PS Nud1e, I'll probably go on a few runs now that my BM has the second cylinder again.

Fáilte romhat Fran. :thumb

Best of luck with the 850GS. Two guys I know went around the world on two 850s. Check it out here.

Why don't yourself and Nudle take a wee run up to Donegal at the end of March? The more the merrier.

jaber

oraight franm welcome tis a grand choice me owd tater i is comin to the auld cuntry at th end o May may see ya there! :bounce1

Back
Top Bottom