Two nights in Wales in July.

LivNorway

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi!

We, Knut (k-nut) and me, are coming over in July! :beer:
I have booked the ferry, and now I'm trying to figure out where to go and where to sleep.

-Is this a good place for two nights, midweek, in Wales, in July?
http://www.bikers-retreat.com/b.r.home.htm
-Do you think all rooms got a bathroom with a shower?
-Is there pizza near by?

If you was the one to decide where we ought to ride/go, what we ought to see/do;
-where would you send us?

We do not feel like bathing our bikes in a ford, and we are not hardcore GS'ers - we ride a K100RS and a Scarver with a belt.
But we like funny roads!

:) Liv.

If you have Mapsource on your computer, I can e-mail you a file with some good roads.

By July, hopefully I will have found some more. :thumb

Taff said:
If you have Mapsource on your computer, I can e-mail you a file with some good roads.

By July, hopefully I will have found some more. :thumb

-Is Mapsource a GPS-thingie? We don't have that.
But if you can write down some roadnumbers I'm sure we'll figure it out!
And I'm going to buy a map for Wales, so if you know a good one, let me know! :)

We missed a crossing last year in Scotland; we ended up at the most idyllic and beatiful place, a dead-end-road, and I'm not sure that would happend if we had a GPS... ;) Not having a GPS can be a good thing!

I use this Road Atlas booklet in Wales:
http://www.a-zmaps.co.uk/asp/detail...format=RA&userid=&txteasting=cat2&lstpostage=
Small enough to fit in the map window of my Baglux tankbag. Very clear mapping and a good index.

Pizza: there does not appear to be an Italian restaurant or McPizza takeaway near that B&B according to Yellow Pages The nearest is 13 miles away.

B&B showers: the listing says all rooms are "en suite" so they will have either a private bath, shower or both.

Liv said:
We don't have (GPS). But if you can write down some road numbers I'm sure we'll figure it out!
I'll see if I can print off a screenshot for you. ;)

Liv said:
-Is this a good place for two nights, midweek, in Wales, in July?
http://www.bikers-retreat.com/b.r.home.htm

That looks like a good place Liv, you will be close to town and pizza's etc.
It's about half an hour away from me. If I'm around in July, I could meet you both there and show you the best roads in North Wales. :thumb

(don't tell Basil though ;) )

Tim

wessie said:
I use this Road Atlas booklet in Wales:
http://www.a-zmaps.co.uk/asp/detail...format=RA&userid=&txteasting=cat2&lstpostage=
Small enough to fit in the map window of my Baglux tankbag. Very clear mapping and a good index.

Pizza: there does not appear to be an Italian restaurant or McPizza takeaway near that B&B according to Yellow Pages The nearest is 13 miles away.

B&B showers: the listing says all rooms are "en suite" so they will have either a private bath, shower or both.

Thank you!

Your map is a little better then mine, I think.
I got a book, Michelin, scale 1:300 000 - 1 inch= 4,75 miles.
One example:
Llangollen, 4 or 5 miles south; there is a road from Glyn Ceiriog to Llarnamon (Dyffyn Ceiriog?), number B4500:
At my map it is a white road, I guess gravel, and there is a green line to tell me Vale of Ceiriog it is a beatiful place, and at the map the road is 23mm (2,3cm) long.
And to the left I can see a little mountain, 561 high.

Last year I used maps from AA too; scale1:200 000 - 1 inch=3,2 miles.
If I get a map for Wales from AA; -do you think that will do?
I like to have a book AND a big sheet - makes it easier to see the hole picture!

-Do I need another/better map?
:beer: And I'm looking foreward to this holiday - can't wait! :beer:

Taff said:
I'll see if I can print off a screenshot for you. ;)

Thank you, but please do not work on this for me for days - and I'm sure I can figure it out from road numbers, or my GPS K-nut can figure it out!

(Never heard of the GPS K-nut? It's special, only one in the world! :D )

But again; all help is precious! :)

timolgra said:
It's about half an hour away from me. If I'm around in July, I could meet you both there and show you the best roads in North Wales. :thumb

Tim

Thank you, Timolgra! :clap
We'll love to follow you!
(Make sure you pic a boxer that will start, then! ;) Perhaps you better pic the Rotax for the day! :D )

Pizza, a biker-hotel, and a native in Wales; is it possible to make it be better? :beer:

When?
The week after Bakerman's Hogroast, I guess it's wednesday we can ride together, if you can.
I don't know the exactly route yet.

(SHHHHHHHHHH! Knut does not know about Basil! :eek )

Liv said:
Thank you!

Your map is a little better then mine, I think.
I got a book, Michelin, scale 1:300 000 - 1 inch= 4,75 miles.
One example:
Llangollen, 4 or 5 miles south; there is a road from Glyn Ceiriog to Llarnamon (Dyffyn Ceiriog?), number B4500:
At my map it is a white road, I guess gravel, and there is a green line to tell me Vale of Ceiriog it is a beatiful place, and at the map the road is 23mm (2,3cm) long.
And to the left I can see a little mountain, 561 high.

Any road that has a B prefix eg. your B4500 will be a tarmac road. They are usually coloured yellow on UK sourced maps. I've just looked at the viamichelin map for the B4500 and they do indeed classify it as a white road. Very odd. The French cartographers obviously have different criteria to the British ones.

White roads, on UK maps, are generally single track roads with a tarmac surface. They can be quite steep and narrow but are passable on most motorcycles. Most road atlases don't include gravel tracks. You will need a larger scale fold out map for that sort of detail.

It sounds like you will have a local guide anyway so you should see the best sights and/or ride the best roads.

wessie said:
Any road that has a B prefix eg. your B4500 will be a tarmac road. They are usually coloured yellow on UK sourced maps. I've just looked at the viamichelin map for the B4500 and they do indeed classify it as a white road. Very odd. The French cartographers obviously have different criteria to the British ones.

White roads, on UK maps, are generally single track roads with a tarmac surface. They can be quite steep and narrow but are passable on most motorcycles. Most road atlases don't include gravel tracks. You will need a larger scale fold out map for that sort of detail.

It sounds like you will have a local guide anyway so you should see the best sights and/or ride the best roads.

Thank you!
The B=gravel-info can be useful for us!

We don't know for sure if Timolgra can ride with us, so I better make a plan B, so we can ride on funny roads by ourselfes.

-Is it possible to see fords on my Michelin map?
From pictures here in this forum I think there often are a bridge where there are a ford, so we don't have to take a bath. -Is that so?

It would be fun to see a GS riding in a ford, but I don't want to do that myselfes. I don't think Scarvers can swim... :eek

-Perhaps all Wales riders can meet us for a pizza in the evening? A place close to our hotel? :beer: That would be great! :clap

Wales

Try this place. http://www.stableyard.co.uk/

I know them and have stayed there, can recommend it. They allowed us to park the bikes in the courtyard at the back. There is also 2 pubs oposite one with a very good restaurant, but you will need to book a table there to be sure. The owners of this place can probably advise

Two nights is Wales in July

I know them and have stayed there, can recommend it. They allowed us to park the bikes in the courtyard at the back. There is also 2 pubs oposite one with a very good restaurant, but you will need to book a table there to be sure. The owners of this place can probably advise

worthy said:

Thank you! :clap
Now I know two good places to stay!

Timolgra;
-does it make any difference to you where we stay?
-what place is closest to the funny roads?

timolgra said:

Tim

Don't believe him Liv - I was in Wales last summer after the hogroast and I tried to contact Tim but..... :nenau ......never heard from him. ;)
You'll have fun in Wales anywhere but to be honest I'd try and get somewhere more central if I was you - north wales is only one part and you can strike out and see more each day if you base yourself somewhere more centrally. Also north wales police seem to have gained a very anti-bike reputation from what I read and hear. Personally I had now problems but it's something to bear in mind if you are planning to be doing any quick riding.

Gecko said:
Don't believe him Liv - I was in Wales last summer after the hogroast and I tried to contact Tim but..... :nenau ......never heard from him. ;)

Hmmm....
He likes girls, right? So maybe he'll turn up? ;)

Anyway;
Knut and I normally have a plan B, and I guess we are going to have that in Wales too.

But; where to stay?
We had a look at the map, and we think Newtown is the place!
There is many hotels, like Elephant and Yesterdays, and food on every corner in the centre, where the hotels are.
I didn't find out where the pizza are, but if Knut gets one extra beer I hope he will live without one.

So:
-How many of you would like to meet us in Newtown the week after the Hogroast, if we choose that place? :beer:

timolgra said:

Tim

I'm working on the holiday plan:
-Is this where you bring your bike when you want to give it a bath? :)
http://vamp.idlers.org/~jaffa/gwynedd.htm The Tal-y-llyn ford?
I saw at the map this is a little south from Dolgellau.

-If you want to give your bike a bath, then I'll be ready with my camera! :bounce1

-Have you ever tried to ride a ford with your bike, AND Tina ride a horse in the same ford at the same time?

Me? Give my Scarver a bath? No, absolutely not! :eek:

PM me your postal address, and in June I'll send you a map of Wales with some good roads highlited. We will be in North Wales mid June, so will mark some more bike friendly roads for you after the trip. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom