Help needed - fitting a Givi top box

guitarman

Picked up a Givi top box cheap a few weeks ago but didn't try fitting it 'til today.

There's a Givi base plate with it complete with bolts but how the hell does it attach to the 1150GS rack as I can't find any way to bolt it on ?

Is there some other plate which also goes on the rack that the Givi plate bolts to ?

Does the grab rail have to go - if so do you need shorter bolts to hold the rear light on ?

Cheers guys

Dick

I have the 52l Givi box but I think they are all the same fittings so yes the grab rail has to go and then the rack users the same holesand if memory serves the rear light cluster bolts also pass through the rack. If you line the rack up with the front holes level with the grab rail bolts it will become apparent.

Adrian B said:
I have the 52l Givi box but I think they are all the same fittings so yes the grab rail has to go and then the rack users the same holesand if memory serves the rear light cluster bolts also pass through the rack. If you line the rack up with the front holes level with the grab rail bolts it will become apparent.

Nope sorry Adrain, nothing matches up.

Hmmm.

Thanks anyway.

Dick

gavinbell said:
Hi,
Got a plate fitted on mine - give me a ring if you want to discuss

07939 135064 base plate fits to a metal plate

gavin

I may well take you up on this Gavin.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Dick

The grab rail has to go. When I got the Givi adapter plate it came with several socket head screws and spacers. There are 3 plates in total. A steel one which bolts to the rack, a plastic one which is the actual adapter plate and another plastic one that hides all the mess when there is no box fitted. If I can find the instructions I'll post them on here.
Even when fitted correctly there is a large overhang and the previous owner cracked his rack so don't put to much in the box.

Have Fun

AndyT:cool:

To strengthen the rear rack, have a look at the Wunderlich Catalogue

Attachments

• rack support.jpg
    rack support.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 241
Rack Strenghthening

The Wunderlich effort is no good if using BMW Pannier Racks though:(

CC:cool:

Oh God, all this for a top box !

I might just give it up now.

Thanks for all your help.

It looks as if I need some more parts.

Cheers

Dick

Have you got the correct adapter plate?

I seem to remember hearing that the universal adapter plate does not fit an 1100/1150 GS.

Givi do another adapter plate specifically for 1100/1150 GS.

Have fun.

I think you're right Shaunie, I've emailed Givi for more info.

Cheers

Dick

What I need is an E189 plate according to Givi.

Thanks for your help though guys.

Cheers

Dick

Back
Top Bottom