St Omer & Lunch in Bologne

dave_h

Well the sun was blazing as members from the GS club and some members from SLM(South london Motorcycles) met up on the way to France.
After a speedy tunnel trip we all headed for the WW2 rocket factory at St Omer and then on to Bologne For some Lunch before heading home.
It was great to meet up with even more Gsers especially after meeting some new faces at wessons the week before.
Here are just a few piccies of the trip.:beerjug:

Attachments

• tunnel entrance que.jpg
    tunnel entrance que.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 282
Capt Scarlett desides to join us at the entrance to the tunnel:D

Attachments

• capt scarlett (kev).jpg
    capt scarlett (kev).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 285
Pedro,Kev,Paul and Paul (soon to pick up his new Gs)

What is peds doing with his hands:confused:

Attachments

• peds,kev,paul,paul at st omer.jpg
    peds,kev,paul,paul at st omer.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 222
I thought this was a bit scary.
This is were they lined up the French resistance and anyone that came up against the Nazi regime.

Attachments

• firing squad @ st omer.jpg
    firing squad @ st omer.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 220
Lunch in Bologne with some of the Lads!
Notadrop
Mr Tickle
Pedro
Kevin
Wing commander and Mrs Wing Commander Reynolds just out of shot on right.
And a new recruit (in the foreground) hopefully to the GSers, his name" Blowdry" (DONT ASK)!!!!:rolleyes: :D :D :D
And some mates from South London!

Attachments

• guys at bologne restaurant.jpg
    guys at bologne restaurant.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 212
Sqadron Leaders report

Sqadron leader reporting!

Twenty one intrepid souls met up at Maidstone services on the M20 VERY early yesterday (15th March--temperature MINUS 5!!) and set off for the Channel tunnel led by Terry Taylor of the SLM club. We arrived on time and were quickly herded on to the train.
Mrs Squadron leader had thoughtfully brought flasks of tea and plastic cups so most people got a swig of the hot stuff to help them thaw out. Whilst Terry had kindly pre-ordered sandwiches for those who wanted them. He even gave everyone a bakewell tart for afters. What service. On the train, introductions were made to help everyone get to know each other. The train journey went ever so quickly and we were soon off to the world war two V2 rocket making factory (which is now a museum) about 40 minutes ride away. The journey there was again well organised by Terry, who ensured that at every turn, a rider was left there as marker for the rest of the riders.

The Museum itself was prety impressive, when you consider that it was hewn out of a mound of solid rock by prisoners of war in just nine months, you cannot begin to comprehend the suffering that inevitably took place there.

Having looked around at the exhibits, watched a short film in one of the three cinemas, and then went to the ground floor and saw the wall that had two vetical strips of wood fixed to it where the prisoners were tied to it and shot, made for for some reflective thinking.

Drifting out into the sunshine and seeing twentyone bikes, (alright twenty bikes and one trike) sure brought you back to reality. around ten riders were outside waiting for the rest to come, when it became clear that if we were to get lunch under way in Boulogne in time to catch our train back, then we'd better get going,------------ Problem, half the gang were still in the other two cinemas, so Kevin Mcloud, who knew the exact address of the restaurant in Boulogne that we were going to, left anote on Terry's 'bike seat so they could catch us up and we could all eat together. It didn't happen. Ten of us took a very scenic route to Boulogne courtesy of Kev's satnav unit, and we arrived at the restaurant around three pm. We waited a short while before ordering and still their was no sign of the others. Still we thought, we'll at least all meet up again at the Euro tunnel terminal, so we tucked into a very tasty meal. It was during this meal that a very soon to be new member of the club board, in a moment of sheer rashness, some would say stupidity let slip a little secret, he disclosed that after washing his Adventurer, he blow dried his bike. Well can you imagine the laughter that went round table? poor old Malcolm, (oops I've named him now) he seemed to think that we all didit. He knows different now. So when he registers on the sight we made him promise to call himself 'blowdry' you heard it here first.Having filled our tummys, we set off from Boulogne to Calais, and just had time for a quick look around the Duty free before loading onto the train. Still no sign of the others. We began to suspect they'd been abducted by aliens. During the short ride back to blighty, handshakes all round took place and everyone wished each other well, and a safe ride home. Having re-fuelled at the train terminal )for those of us who don't have bigger tanks fitted) it was time for the blast home. Mrs Squadron Leader and me got home around 7.30, absolutely tired but happy. For anyone who thought about coming on this trip, but didn't, you missed a good 'un.

Post script. To finish the story of what happened to the rest of the group, They rode into Boulogne and got caught up in a demonstration and were unable to find us. They were late getting back to the train terminal, and caught the one after ours. This was a great shame, because Terry had put a lot of effrt into organizing this trip, and I for one would have like to have thanked him on behalf of everybody... So Terry I'll do it now, thanks a lot mate from all of us who thoroughly enjoyed our day out!:beerjug:

Thankyou squadron leader for de-briefing the mission and i must say that it was a pleasure to meet the delightful mrs reynolds who had to keep you in "check" whilst watching some old footage of some ariel battles during the war , so i have squeezed this little piccy in just for memories sake.

btw(thats by the way;) ) I spoke to terry today and he is going to organise a one night stopover next time.
Lets hope it was as good as this one

Attachments

• v1 rocket at st omer.jpg
    v1 rocket at st omer.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 198
Dave, Thanks for the piccy's mate. You could now be the official 'snapper' on the future trips. (Yes I meant snapper, nothing else). A future ride -out to include an overnighter sounds good to me.:cool:

Dave, thanks for the pctures mate, methinks you're now our official snapper, ( yes I meant snapper, nothing else). A good suggestion from Terry for an overnighter next time. Count me in.

BAKERMAN said:
more old people with funny looking motorbikes, nice plain though.

I think you are right bakerman.
A little french boy walked along the whole line of 25 odd BMW,s outside the rocket museum and when his mother asked which one he liked best he picked out the only Japanese bike there a 'Thunderace' :D :D

dave_h said:
A little french boy walked along the whole line of 25 odd BMW,s outside the rocket museum and when his mother asked which one he liked best he picked out the only Japanese bike there a 'Thunderace' :D :D

Do you think that might be because his country has never been occupied by the Japanese?

MikeO:D

top day!

It was indeed a great day, good to meet up with some new faces. It was also Mrs Longlegs first trip abroad on a bike and she thoroughly enjoyed it. The sandwiches (thanks Terry) and tea (thanks Mrs Squadron Leader) on the Chunnel were very welcome. Good weather, humour chat, nice roads.....

Best bits: the ride to Boulogne, the bike-awareness of French drivers.

Worst bit: the long haul back from the Chunnel, back to the bumpy M25 and Saturday night Max Power boyz with a point to prove :shoot: Stopped at Thurrock Services for a break and to fill-up - NOT a good place to be late at night.

When we go on another, as Terry said it would be good to overnight it there. Mrs Long Legs and I left the house at 6 a.m. and got home at 9 p.m. - a long day!

A request for help:
My old camera gave up the ghost during the trip, knackering the film within. (Time for a change to digital methinks!) It would be great to have some photo memories of the day, does anyone have some more digi pictures they could e-mail to me or cut to a CD. Send me a PM if you could help.

Thanks again to Phil and Terry for organising, count us in for another.

BLL

Thanks Phil & Terry for a top day out

What a brilliant day :beer:. Here a few more pics to add on to Daves collection

Pic 1: On the Eurotunnel train with Not A Drop in the pic

Attachments

• bmw france003.jpg
    bmw france003.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 135
Pic 2 : The group on a smoke break after leaving the Channel Tunnel

Attachments

• bmw france007.jpg
    bmw france007.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 90
Pic 3: Parked up outside the V2 rocket factory

Attachments

• bmw france010.jpg
    bmw france010.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 88
Pic 4: In the car park of Bolougne Old Town

Attachments

• bmw france013.jpg
    bmw france013.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 131
dave_h said:

German bikes? German V1s? French kid? Say no more!

Back
Top Bottom