eurotunnel jump on

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can you , we, them, just turn up on ya bike and get on?

i did try a search, but noffin came up.

Yes -if there's room, they can't just squeeze you in, like the ferry. Plus you pay more for just turning up, rather than booking in advance, and the price varies depending on what time you cross.

Two weeks ago i paid £60 to cross from france to here, 12 midday on a sunday, just turned up in france, straight on the next train, 15 minute wait :thumb, they just stuck me on the next train, i had different boarding number to what was crossing. But thats the french attitude, going the other way from UK, they won't let you on till your boarding letter comes up. The English jobsworth is alive and well,and working at the chunnel terminal

If you book an Eurotunnel ticket, you are given 2 options. The first (and cheaper) option gives you a fixed time. The second (slightly more expensive) option gives you more flexibility as they will put you on the next train - if there is room. The second option worked out very well for me last year. :thumb

If you have the first option and miss your train (or turn up early) not surprisingly you get royally shafted on the cost of a new ticket. :eek

The first option gives you a fixed time plus or minus two hours and is cheaper. I use the tunnel 5 or 6 times a year now, simply because its quick.

Early and late crossings last July and September were £38 turn up at the port. Knowing I have 300 miles to travel after the crossing in England I often stay in a hotel overnight and get a 6.00 a.m crossing. The hotel (new Village Hotel 2 minutes from Tunnel) is 32 Euros £22.50 so total cost is £60.50.

Cheers Guys :thumb

Ive just booked, i must have miss-heard the bloke as he said now is £63 return, and if you just turn up, it will be £255 return :eek:

cant wait, Got italy, berlin, and then later, southern spain.

Thanks again.

Steptoe being a relatively new member on here I had to think twice before disagreeing with you .
I had just the opposite happen last year turned up at Folkestone an hour early would you like the next train sir,gladly accepted his kind offer .Got back to the French side week later 2 hours early I had to pay an extra £30 to go early.What pissed me off was it was empty apart from 3 transits & one other bike. :nenau

Saying all that though In september arrived early French side was given next train no extra charge .

just paid £88 one day return car + trailer to pick up my 1150gs, turned up early and got on first train available, both ways. No more than two hours early though!

cheeky

If you are a bit cheeky, just turn up when ever, let them tell you that you'll be on a train in 4 hours, then just go on through. Hide the "rearview mirror" thing in your pocket and just carry on. Did this at Folkstone and Calais without any problem. You just need to check which train is goign in ~25 mins time then say "D" or whatever when they ask you which one you are on.

Or (as at Folkstone), when the chap at the end of the car park says "Ticket?", reply "yes!" without stopping ;)

YMMV!!!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom