Overcoming memory limitations on 60CS???

Charliefox

Hi one & all

Apologies if this has been posted as a question before. I searched all over the Interweb last night for an answer to this one so here goes...

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS on my GSA. It's internal memory allows me to store enough of the City Select map data to cover half of the UK. The CD data is loaded on my laptop and I regularly bounce maps from the laptop to the GPS as required. However....

I plan on touring Europe this Summer and would like the flexability of having all the European map data available to me. Does anyone know of a way of transporting this data WITHOUT having to lug a laptop round Europe??

Surely this must be a common problem for tourers? I'm aware of the standard advice which is to preload city map tiles and make do with the basemap for navigating between them. However I'm not sure which cities we'll be dropping in on.

I was hoping that something like a modern Ipaq would be able to cope if it had a 2Gb SD card on board but I've a feeling the OS won't be compatible with the Garmin maps.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, cheers.

Done some more digging - looks like a laptop is the only way to go - or stick to the basemap. Why they couldn't have put support in for a micro SD card I'll never know :(

Having only had the 60CS for 4 weeks I can't justify the new 60CSX :(

By the time I've packed my Cornflakes, Breakfast marmalade, PG Tips & a proper pillow I'll have no room for a laptop :eek:

Oh for a couple of support vehicles to follow me around instead... :D

I have the same problem but I think if you are planning a route you'll have to be going a heck of a distance before the 60c memory let's you down. Bear in mind that for any long motorway stretches you don't need all the detail maps so plan you route first then right mouse click and you can select maps along your route - then go back and remove the ones that are not really necessary. You may find you can get more than you think at first.

Thanks Gecko, it's a technique I currently employ with the UK mapping. Unfortunately that approach mitigates against flexability and sometimes I just don't like to plan :)

I suppose it's the only option, though, as there's no way in hell I'm lugging a laptop around Europe. Maybe I'll sell a kidney and save up for the CSX :eek:

I use a 256mb card in a Garmin 276c for my trips abroad, even if I could get my mitts on a 512mb card, I’d still take the mini laptop; it’s good for storing waypoints, routes and trails. I wouldn’t want to go without it.

Go on, go on, go on... take the laptop! :yelrotflm

Back
Top Bottom