Remus Race Can

Does fitting a Remus race can and y Piece make much difference ?

• Yes about 10hp

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Yes about 5hp

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • No waste of money

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Too loud man

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

bandit

:shoot:
Well after receiving absolutely no response (f**k all) from my last posting about replacing the stock can with a Remus I am doing it anyway.
I am going for the full Y piece and Race can. It will be dynoed before and after at Dynospeed developments. If anyone is interested I will post the results.

:beerjug:

Bandit

didn't respond to your last post cause I for one didn't have the answers.

Glad to see you're a man of action, look forward to seeing the comparative data and hearing your comments.

Andy Deighton:)

Bandit

The remus exhaust system was the one recommendation I received from my dealer (L&C Tunbridge) when I asked about mods to the bike. The main reasons (apparently) are

1) The use of different fuel types (in remote areas)

2) Improved mid range (who knows how much??)

It will be interesting to hear your comments post installation. Good luck.

I did spot some comments on the replacement system on the MCN website (BMW R1150GS section, discussion) Might be useful.

Regards

Jon

I've got the Remus Race Titanium

- I just got the end can to improve the sound the exhaust makes! - and what an improvement!

Removing the Cat etc just seems like a lot of trouble for small power increase.

Cheers

Timbo

Hi Bandit
I,ve got a full remus system with a genesis end can
did say "not for road use" used some autosolvo hey presto "legal"
Don't know about bhp just love the sound pops and bangs etc.

Enjoy
mark

I saw an Australian site a while back, which had done dyno tests of the std bike, cat replaced by "Y"piece & std silencer, cat & replacement silencer and lastly "Y" piece & replacement silencer. All the replacement kit was 2Bros Racing I think.

The gist was that the biggest improvement is to be made by junking the cat for the "Y" piece as this is where the greatest restriction is in the system. It also gets rid of a lot of weight. In comparison, the end can made relatively little difference so I have put a Sebring "Y" piece in (made in the same place as Remus but £100 cheaper) and left the original silencer in place. Result: the original silencer makes the system legal according to the letter of the law (if not in spirit) as it has the appropriate CE or BS markings, I can't be bothered to check which. However, it is much more fruity and pulls like a train in the mid-range with no discernable drop in top end. Of course, this is according to my seat of pants dyno. I'll be interested to see the results you get posted up.

The only problem I have had was getting a decent seal around the joint between the "Y"piece and silencer. It backfired like a shotgun at first, but aluminium kitchen foil wrapped around the end of the "Y" piece has done the job.

Cheers,
Paul

Will it make us cough more?

Paul and all

I understand that having a cat affects the power band but do you have any info on comparative emissions with and without one fitted.

I like to be as environmentally friendly as possible but if the difference is minimal its worth considering.

Is this covered at all in the dynotest Bandit?

Andy Deighton

:barf

Bandit...

I have the Remus can and Y piece fitted and also the bbpower chip. Never had it dynoed but it definitely pulls harder in the mid range....will be interested to see your dyno results.

Have had minor leak at the can/y piece joint - thanks to Paul regarding the use of tin foil, will try that out myself.

Mike

Ideas

Ok I will dyno before, then with y piece and standard can and finally with full system. The joint problem concerns me slightly as this could affect performance sounds like a good jointing compound is needed.

I have heard that the chip makes little difference as the standard setup will adjust itself automatically. However the dyno at dynospeed is one of the few designed to work with fuel injected bikes so all will be revealed !

:smokeboun

Andy, I have absolutely no comparative info on emissions but will assume that, without the cat, they are worse (otherwise why have one). However, in my defence ;-) I have still got the lambda probe fitted in the "Y" piece so the fuel injection is sensing the exhaust to ensure that it does not run too rich (mega bad for environment) or too lean (mega bad for piston crowns). Bike MOT's don't test for emissions so it is not a requirement to have the cat installed like it is for a post '94 (?) car. I take this to mean that the emissions problem with bikes is minimal & a new bike is always going to be better than something older and more worn.

I've convinced myself......where do I sign up.

Cheers,
Paul.

who let the cat out of the bag..

Fair enough Paul, the technology is pretty clever these days and far beyond me.

Just makes me wonder whether there are new regs coming in and BMW are getting ahead of the game, or is it just a selling point?

Safe riding

Andy Deighton

remus can results

Ok well here it is ... nearly

Removal of the old can and cat was a doddle, it came off as one piece after removing a few bolts and clamps.

Fitting the new Ypiece and can was even easier. The whole job took less than 1hr.

And the dyno results ... well I couldn't be arsed fitting the original can to the y piece so i just dynoed the system before and after.

Very little difference to the top end (maybe 1hp). However big diference to mid range. At about 3,500 to 4000 it made an extra 6hp. With the original spec there is a dip in the curve around this area (probably to do withh emmissions and noise testing). This makes the bike much more responsive just where you need it.

Torque is also considerably improved.

I will post the graphs later.

Noise wise ? well it certainly sounds louder, but not intrusive. But hey what do I know I also have a Jap 4 with a straight through pipe to compare it to.

Would I recommend it ?

Yes, the improved midrange power and torque make 4th gear over taking much easier, I can also power the front wheel up in 2nd now (before I could only do it it 1st !!) And the sound is great.

Will post wav file later as well.

whats next ?

Well would be rude not to try a K&N filter, and maybe a power chip.

Lots of grunt..

Blimey bandit 6 horses where it really counts, that's about 7.5%, not to be sneezed at.

Got any spare cash you don't need?

Thanks for posting the results!

The Nose

Skint

Nope spent it.

Any one want to buy a cat ?

One previous owner.

House trained........

:bounce1 :alian :hapybnce: :monkyswin

Got mine from Motorworks. Jefferies gave me a loan bike while mine was being serviced so I rode over to Motorworks, bought the filter and took it back for Jefferies to fit.

bbpower

I bought the K&N anyway, along with the bbpower chip !!

My mate at dynospeed reckons if I wanted more power I should have bought a different bike !!

hmm.........someone some where is missing the point but who....?

I don't know if it made much difference as I did it at the same time as putting in a "Y" piece so it is difficult to know which made the greatest difference. However, it doesn't run out of breath or feel restricted in any way, and the improvement in mid-range pull was superb. I might try an original, when service time comes round in 3wks, and decide from there which to keep.

Back
Top Bottom