Travel in Algeria?

petcul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anybody been to Algeria in the last year or so? I would like to go as far as Tamanrasset Oct/Nov this year but advice still from FOC and US (not surprisingly) is avoid. Having said that I am not aware of any reports of terrorism since 2003 but then I don't read the papers and when I do, don't usually believe them.

Any advice about safety there, border crossings from Morocco and anything else would be appreciated.

Peter

:confused: [B]All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.[/B]

Over the past several months, the city of Algiers and its immediate suburbs have continued to record a significant drop in the number of terrorist-associated incidents. However, there are continued security concerns. Random terrorist attacks still occur in rural and remote areas, on public transportation outside the major cities, and in some parts of the country at night.

In February 2003, 32 Western Europeans were taken hostage by terrorists in the Sahara desert areas of southeastern Algeria, between the cities of Ouargla and Tamanrasset. Fourteen of the hostages were transported by the terrorists into northern Mali. The Department of State continues to caution U.S. citizens to avoid traveling in this area.

:rolleyes: But that is from a Merkin FO site :rolleyes:

This from Yahoo Travel;
Today, there is a glimmer of hope in terms of travel in Algeria. Although the violent civil conflict that raged through much of the 1990s has effectively ended, the country is still faced with a range of social problems and a lingering, less than favorable reputation. Security is still an issue, but the dangers are not as indiscriminate as they once were. Travelers with an adventurous streak will find a fascinating North African culture, shaped by one of the world's most alluring landscapes -- the Sahara Desert.

You can also get package flights to Algeria from a lot of airlines....

routesmap.jpg

You can't cross from Morocco. Check out Sahara Overland or HUBB for more info.

Tim

Thanks guys. Trying to contact the Algerian Embassy to get their view. May end up going to W. Africa instead.

I'm involved in work in Algeria and we have guys on the ground day in day out and hence have to worry about security as our top priority. It's always dangerous to generalise (generally speaking) the FO advice shouldn't be ignored.

I have access to quite a bit of info and am in contact with our guys day in day out - generally, although we have an office in Algiers, the advice is to stay away from the North of the Country. We also have an office in Hassi Messoud (on the map, much further North) and operations in the Sahara further South. We figure it's pretty safe, but in this 'Oil security zone' a curfue operates from dusk to dawn. Clearly you are further South.

You may want to PM me, but I may be able to help you with some up to date, security based info.

Fantastic country - great people. Don't wear your Union Jack shorts huh....

HTB thanks for that. I'm slowly piecing information together but first need to hear from the Algerian Consulate before trying to firm up plans. I had planned to go through Oran and spend some time in the mountains in the north of the country before heading south then doing the reverse. May get back to you later if things start to pan out.

Thanks.

PS Not into UJ shorts but if I were they would be Irish tricolour!

Back
Top Bottom