newbie, thinking of buying a GS

• Thread starter Dennis van Dijk
  • Start date

Dennis van Dijk

Hi folks,

Great board you have going here. Currently living in Houston,TX (never ever move there), moving to the UK somewhere May time. Will start looking for a house than (west side London, uxbridge area). And will be looking for a bike also. Really thinking about buying a 1150GS but the money might be a little tight. Also looking at Triumh Tiger and I need some convincing that if I buy a 1150GS from 2001 (about 6000 quid) it will be more fun than the Tiger from 2005.

Anyway still thinking and confused. :nenau Have good memories of an earlier Beemer I had. K75S, a gem of a bike. Went off and did the sports thing after that. At the moment no bike, Houston is no good for that, if you think driving in the UK is bad try this place. 90% is in the phone whilst driving.

cheers to you all,

Dennis

Hello Dennis,

Welcome aboard.

Any GS will be better for real world useage than any non-GS,matey.

It`s the things that are never covered in glossy magazine 'tests' that makes the GS so much better.

Shaft drive
Centre stand
Ease of wheel removal
Road prescence
Long distance tank range
Even longer distance comfort ( both rider and pillion )
Suitability for load carrying
Fabulous handling
Easy to work on
Good accessabilty to ( most ) components
Air cooling
The indefinable 'good feeling' you get when GSing

Etc etc etc

If money`s a bit tight,get an 1100.

After all,the 1100 is VASTLY SUPERIOR,you know..........

Hi Dennis,

The GS is a much better bike than the Triumph. I found the Tiger I rode to be rather nasty, basic, old fashioned and not very well finished. I'm amazed Triumph are still selling them. Even the worst 1150GS will be better than the best Tiger (probably :D)

There's plenty of GS action in the area you're talking about moving to so I'm sure you'll fit in just right with us lot.

Andy

Hi Dennis, i would forget the tiger, when they bite they can hurt, especialy in the wallet department, my mate had a tiger and it cost him big style in breakdowns, major ones two, in the end it had to go.........you have found this site, now find yourself a Gs, you wont look back :thumb

Andy

I got talking to a Tiger rider last time I was up in London. He reckoned he'd made a mistake getting the Tiger and wanted to know if I'd sell him my GS.

To add a little context, I've recently bought a Pan European ST1100 and was, in fact, thinking about selling the GS. But actually faced with it, I couldn't part with it - even though the Pan has a turbine of an engine, is massively straight-line stable and gorgeous to ride. The GS is just as capable, if not so smooth, but has soooooo much more character, is easier to work on and a lot more fun.

Like the man says, if you can't run to an 1150, get an 1100 - the sixth gear you can live without. Just don't - and I mean don't - start looking at the Touratech catalogue. That way lies bankruptcy and madness. :thumb

shuck raider said:
Hi Dennis and welcome aboard :)

I reckon you could pick up a UK 2001 R1150GS for way less than 6 grand. Parkers Used Bike Guide reckon so as well ;)

Best of luck with it

Nah, if you check asking prices on Autotrader and MCN you'll find that they're about a grand more than in Parkers. I know, 'cos I just spent the last 2 weeks trying to find an 1150 for the price Parkers suggest.

Now settled on a 2001 with 7500 miles for £6500 and I must have rang nearly every dealer in the country to find one. I still think that they're expensive, but once you've had one, other bikes are at best merely alright.

I have to agree with Shaunie here, I have been looking at Autotrader and MCN and the prices I found are very consistent and higher than Parkers. I hoped the 1200GS would have an impact on the price but not so far.

Guess I will be having a hard look when I arrive in the UK. Looked around in the US but prices are very similar. If you buy a Jap it's ok but buy European the prices are similar (add in tax, registration, shipping).

Well thanks for the info. Hope to arrive in the UK in May, drop me a line if you live in the Uxbridge area.

cheers

Dennis,

Is there a particular reason you're looking at Uxbridge? I mean, no offence to the good burghers of that fine town but Uxbridge? :eek:

Cheers

Dick

Dennis van Dijk said:
I hoped the 1200GS would have an impact on the price but not so far.

Oh yes it has.......it`s bumped the 1100 and 1150 prices UP...... :D :D :D

Yep, I have seen the prices around there. About twice as much as where we live at the moment. We haven't got much choice really, the job is taking us there. At that is my wife's job. Mine involves a 21/2 year old and there is one on the way.

So next to house hunting, GS hunting, car buying, daycare checking and all that stuff we will be broke by the time I find a GS.

Uxbridge area we will be looking.........never been there so I wouldn't know what it looks like

Its got to be! (perfect)

I can vouch for the 1100gs unbelievable, but please move t north, Derbyshire ist fantastish! (Forget the Trumpet ive had one spent more time in the garage than on the road) :thumb

£6000 for a 2001 GS :confused:

Maybe I just got lucky........................

I bought my Sept 2001 GS1150 in December 2004 near Newcastle Upon Tyne. 15,000 miles, FBMWSH, Givi topbox, Baglux tank cover, disc lock, chain & padlock, taxed and MOTd, 50% tyres, fastest black.....£5300

Surely 14 months later they can't still be fetching around £6000.......or can they? :nenau

Another newby thinking of getting a GS

Hi folks,
I certainly want a GS, probably the 12. Does anyone know if I can go to Germany and pick one up for a discount? Seems like a new one there might cost the same as a 2nd hand one here. Is that right? I'm aiming to buy in about May.
My last Beemer was a 75/6 which I took across America, years back.
This one, I plan to ride to Taiwan. I would also like to ride around the Med.
Anyone know about Carnets?

Back
Top Bottom