Private Purchase or Dealership?

L

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What's the opinion on buying 2nd hand from a dealership v. private?

Suppose it depends on age and price paid. If its nearly new it will have some warranty left, service history etc etc. Depends on loads of factors, does the seller seem decent, is his garage clean and tidy, is the bike clean/spotless.
I wouldn't have a problem buying private now that i know a little about the GS. I'm sure someone on the site would be happy to have a look over a bike with you, usual buy a beer sort of thing....

Depends on whether you need the peace of mind of a 12-month warranty.

You can buy your own warranty on a private bike for about £300-£400 - it's just an insurance policy.

Personally I would favour buying privately and get a good test ride. You'll save at least a grand or so I would have thought.

I'm sure there are threads on here about "what to look out for" - just browse some of the older pages on the GS or not 2 GS forum.

Also - if you're not sure - take a mate who knows - usually someone on here in the area who will give it the once-over with you.

Good luck

6X

pint6x said:
Personally I would favour buying privately and get a good test ride. You'll save at least a grand or so I would have thought.

Phil do you believe a private seller will let you take their bike for a test ride? I am about to be a seller and unles they leave the full amount in cash the bike ain't going nowhere. Most of the magazines strongly advise against allowing test rides these days less the bike disappears never to be seen again. Even inviting potential buyers to your own home is frowned upon as dubious types return and nick the bike.

MCN thats where I bought my GS 1150, 100miles on the clock.

But it took a while to catch the wrigth one, you need to have your cash ready in your hand, NOTES they smell good.

Test ride bike, as a pillion.

And trust your nose, you should know a dog, before it bites you.

Ask another GSer to come and see it with you and make sure he doesn`t buy it before you.

judge said:
Phil do you believe a private seller will let you take their bike for a test ride? I am about to be a seller and unles they leave the full amount in cash the bike ain't going nowhere. Most of the magazines strongly advise against allowing test rides these days less the bike disappears never to be seen again. Even inviting potential buyers to your own home is frowned upon as dubious types return and nick the bike.
Well I wouldn't buy a bike without a test ride - I understand perfectly what you're saying, but I have always tested every bike I've ever ridden prior to purchase.

The last time I bought, I had my driving licence, passport and insurance certificate so the bloke could see who I was, where I lived, and make sure I was covered to ride his bike. He kept these documents while I tested his bike.

I also left him with the keys to my (newish) company car which was worth approx. eight times the value of the bike.

In times passed, I've left cash with them.

As a vendor, I let people take the bike out after I've satisfied myself they are reasonably OK - yes you're making a judgement, but I like to think I'm a reasonable judge of character.

Another way is to insist you go with them on their bike if they have one.

6X

Private v Dealership

Ellis,

IMHO I would tend to buy from a BMW dealer as you always have a comeback. Even if it is paying a bit over the top.

If you look around the dealers there is always the chance of an ex demo. Which is how I bought mine. It was the demo I had tested and when the only s/h 1150GS was a 2 year old one with loads of miles on it, I asked about the demo bike, which the dealers was quite happy to sell.

Good luck!

It really depends how much you want to spend and how handy you are with the spanners......................

I picked up a 1998 `S` plate 1100 GS with 24,000miles, full BMWSH in excellent condition with new tyres, fresh MOT and BMW cases privately in December for £4,300...................

The only down side was it needed a major service,hundreds at the dealer but it only cost me around £75 with getting the parts from Motor Works.......................

I know wot about the BMW history (doing the work myself) just keep all the receipts much better than a rubber stamp in a book !

So if you want to line the dealers pockets go buy from them or look in the private adds and save hundreds or even thousands

You can then treat yourself to a few goodies with the money saved (just fitted a Remus myself):beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom