A question for the locals...

Pumpy

That's short for Pumpernickel
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

Could you please help me with your local knowledge of the Lake District?

My little sister will come over to visit me soon and I'd like to take her to Cumbria this time (haven't been there myself yet).

As I really love to impress her with the beauty of my adopted country, could you please give me some advice on where to stay in the Lake District - in terms of stunning views, picturesque settlements, nice restaurants and tea rooms, easy access to hiking areas (sadly enough she's not into biking anymore... :( ), and all this touristy stuff, you know...?

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Ela

Spoilt for choice, really. I would suggest anywhere except Ambleside which gets too touristy. Hawkshead or Coniston would be my choice. Keep to one of the smaller places would probably sum-up my advice.
Cockermouth is lovely little, underrated place, too, but possibly a bit too far out to make a base for touring/hiking.

You might try Grassmere or Ambleside for somewhere to stay, depending on budget and requirements but, as said before, it does get very touristy now.

I like Grassmere personally which is a bit smaller and quieter yet good for getting to Keswick, Ambleside, Bowness etc.

Hawkshead and Coniston are lovely too!

I haven't stayed overnight but would also go with Grasmere/Rydal. They're on the main Keswick/Ambleside/Bowness road so are well placed for getting around. They should be a good compromise between the very busy towns just mentioned, without being too far from the beaten track.

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/hoteltowns.cfm?town=Grasmere&county=30

Enjoy your stay!

The Duddon Valley (Dunnerdale), is unspoilt and usually free from the madding crowd, access from the south via Broughton in furness. If you can try to get a nights B&B at the Newfield Inn up the valley. it's a great motorcyclng area. Also handy for hardknott and wrynose passes, and Eskdale, enjoy a walk to coniston via the walna scar road and the fells.

Great stuff!!!

Thank you all so much - your suggestions are really helpful and greatly appreciated! :thumb

If you ever need similar recommendations for touring in Germany or Spain just let me know!

Thanks again,

Ela

Back
Top Bottom