Tyres

sjwb

Reaction score
I have Bridgestone Trailwings fitted to my 1150 GS. Any thoughts or advice as to what is the prefered fitting?

metzler tourance

i had a trailwing on my front and it felt terrible,,

the tyre place fitted it without telling me.. i asked for tourance

anyway had a set of tourances put on last week and its so much nicer..

i dont like the feel of the trailwing, especially in the wet, it just felt wrong..

dont know whay, just made me wiggy..

anyway since ive had teh tourances on it feels great..

havnt felt them in the wet yet, but even on the dry they feel so much better..

hope that helps..

regards

pthagonal

I have Tourance as well - and swear by them. No problems whatsoever in the wet, 14K out of the front and 8K out of the back. Grip, feel and longevity = best of all worlds:)

Except the world of 'off-road' that is. Still, you can't have it all.

Bridgestone Trailwings are utter Sh!te.

They were OE on my GSA, and I changed them for Metzelers at the 1st service.

I fired off an E-Mail to BMW(GB) but got no responce...

I have Michelin T66X's fitted on mine. Does anyone have any experience of these? As this is my 1st GS I would appreciate feedback also.

It looks like everyone is singing the praises of the Tourance.:spin

AlexV said:
I have Michelin T66X's fitted on mine. Does anyone have any experience of these?

These were fitted as OE on my 2001 GS. I found them excellent in the dry, but I didn't have much confidence in them in the wet. After 2000 miles I switched to Tourances, and they are superb, wet or dry.

AlexV said:
I have Michelin T66X's fitted on mine. Does anyone have any experience of these? As this is my 1st GS I would appreciate feedback also.

It looks like everyone is singing the praises of the Tourance.:spin
Alex plenty of opinions abound on the board on T66's. General comments are OK but twitchy in the wet and I expereinced on my KLE they went 'off' very quickly with semmingly loads of life left in the tyre.

You are right in thinking most tend to opt for Tourances for road work and TKC80's if they like to get dirty with it now and again.

T66 are shite in the wet but they do last.Trailwings , I found ok in the wet and dry but they wore out in 4000 miles so now ive got tourances which are exellent in both wet and dry conditions and last a bit longer than the trailwings.In my opinion there aint nuthin wrong with trailwings but tourances are better.Most folks dont like the bridgestone tyre but it all depends on the way you ride, experiance,and confidence.

I've just organised Tourances for myself and a mate from a place in Baildon, near Allan Jefferies. Contact them on 01274 532777 and mention the GSClub and they should give you them for £125 a pair with £10 delivery charge. I have access to free fitting here in Preston so we just picked them up to fit when my TKC's expire. Not long at the rate I'm going....:D

scorpions

Just changed from tourances to pirelli scorpions.

I am very impressed with them now that they're scrubbed in and Im pushing them to the limit at every opportunity!

I think I still prefer the tourances but these scorpions are a dam good second choice if you can't get hold of any tourances!

Paul Newman:bounce1

Thanks guys; it seems that Tourances are the way to go. I don't as yet have fixed thoughts about the Bridgestones but I never did expect the level of grip that my 207RRs had on my 1100S:D :D :D

Gentlemen, Thank you for your opinions. I have experienced the T66's in the wet and must say they were a little twitchy, particularly as I caught the rear on a manhole cover as I turned a corner. :doh It stayed upright!!

Having ridden a 600 fazer for 4 years on several sets of Bridgestone 010, 020's, and never having any probs. I was beginning to wonder.

I am grateful for the info and Tourances it will be before we hit the next long cold winter.:thumb

My 1150gs was supplied with Tourances and I found them excellent, wet or dry. For this reason I replaced the rear with another Tourance when required, even though I could get T66's free (I work for Michelin and they supply free tyres for one vehicle) - the reason I did this was because I'd heard so many bad reports about T66's in the wet. however I eventually decided this was economic folly when I hadn't even tried them myself so I finally fitted a pair of T66's. Unfortunately the stories were true - they were very worrying in the wet - especially the front which stepped out on several occasions!. On the plus side the were fine in the dry and maintain a good profile throughout their life - something the Tourances do not do. However the main point of this reply was to let you know that debate on the pro's and con's of T66's is now futile as they are now obsolete having been replaced by Michelin Anakee's. I recently fitted one on the front and it's excellent in the wet or dry. The tread pattern now looks almost identical to the Tourance(!). I've still got the T66 on the back but will be replacing it with an Anakee soon. The new Anakee will maybe make Michelin's a serious option (even for Tourance fans - especially when Tourances are in short supply.)

Hi
I had the predecessor to the Tourance on my 1100GS and whilst they were very good the tread "scalloped" on the fronts after say 6000. Tourances were much better in terms of even wear and longevity.
My 1150GS came with Trailwings which I found ok but they wore out faster so have replaced twice with Tourances. On balance I reckon the Tourances are best. The rears square too readily though (and I do go round corners!).
Two questions
1. Any factual experience of that pink gunge ~ Ultaseal. Does it really prolong wear and does it balance ok?
2. I've always changed both tyres when the back gets worn, any strong feelings out there about the pros or cons of this.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom