Germany - travel time from Lucerne to Baden-Baden?

NeilF

Reaction score
officially THE best place to live . . . . Wokingha
In organising a tour to Switzerland with SWMBO and two other bikes, we'll be returning back to Blighty via Lucerne, intending to travel from Lucerne to Baden-Baden in one day, using the A4 to Zurich, A3 past Bad Sackingen, and then B518>B317>L126>L127>B294>B28>B500 to Baden-Baden - chosen specifically to give us time in the Black Forest.

Mapsource tells me it's 230 miles, and 8 hours.

I suspect that's too much of a stretch - would you recommend we should just aim for Freiburg that day, and continue the next day via Baden-Baden in to France on the A35>A4>D38 to somewhere like Verdun or Reims before a final thrash to the Ferry?

Many thanks,

Neil.

Using this:

http://www.uk.map24.com/

I typed in Lucerne in one field and Baden-Baden in the other, a lot less time than Map source, albeit not as "programable" (sp?) Either way this whole thing is pretty cool, all animated, singing, dancing and makes a nice cuppa as well (well almost!)

May be of some use though.
The Swiss side of thngs will be the slowest bit, and not really worth the risk of speeding, I lost my Swiss licence there twice for speeding.... third time you have to go to see a shrink! (I'm not joking).
German side will be noticably quicker.

BTW, can someone explain what SWMBO (or whatever it is) means? Ta.

100WattWarlock said:
Using this:

BTW, can someone explain what SWMBO (or whatever it is) means? Ta.

SWMBO = she who must be obeyed

IIRC, popularised by John Mortimer's "Rumpole of the Bailey" books and the TV adaptation starring Leo McKern.

Other internet acronyms here orhere or JFGI

NeilF said:
In organising a tour to Switzerland with SWMBO and two other bikes, we'll be returning back to Blighty via Lucerne, intending to travel from Lucerne to Baden-Baden in one day, using the A4 to Zurich, A3 past Bad Sackingen, and then B518>B317>L126>L127>B294>B28>B500 to Baden-Baden - chosen specifically to give us time in the Black Forest.

Sounds like a fairly light day to me. Mapsource must use a CG125 as it's default bike to calculate times.

Although, it all depends on how much "off the bike" sightseeing you want to do. Have a big breakfast, set off early and you will have plenty of time to stop along the way.

wessie said:
SWMBO = she who must be obeyed

IIRC, popularised by John Mortimer's "Rumpole of the Bailey" books and the TV adaptation starring Leo McKern.

Other internet acronyms here orhere or JFGI

Thank you! I've been on this forum for some time now (lurking mostly) and have to say that SWMBO is something that has had me worried for some time! :eek:

NeilF said:
In organising a tour to Switzerland with SWMBO and two other bikes, we'll be returning back to Blighty via Lucerne, intending to travel from Lucerne to Baden-Baden in one day

Many thanks,
Neil.

Neil, You don't say when you're trip is but stay well clear of Baden Baden (and surrounding area) between 10th June and 10th July. ENG-GER-LAND (and their fans) are in town :eek:

NeilF said:

I suspect that's too much of a stretch - would you recommend we should just aim for Freiburg that day, and continue the next day via Baden-Baden in to France on the A35>A4>D38 to somewhere like Verdun or Reims before a final thrash to the Ferry?

Many thanks,

Neil.

I've ridden Heidelburg - Chur a couple of times via most of the roads listed.

The Black Forest can be pretty congested around Baden-Baden on a weekend, but is much less crowded further south past Scluchsee and Titisee (or however you spell them :confused: ).

I would say 8 hours on the top side, although not too far out if you allow for a leisurely lunch stop and photos etc.

Heidelburg - Chur took 9 hours with half a dozen bikes in 2004 thanks to a dodgy GPS receiver and a very long lunch stop but less than 6 hours riding solo last year (no motorway except the first 30 miles or so south from Heidelburg).

NeilF said:

Many thanks,

Niel there is aplace about 30mile southeast of baden baden called FREUDENSTADT. The roads around here are superb and the trip you describe is not a problem in one day. We done a similar route from ANDERMATT in Switzerland (near the st gotthard pass) to the afore mentioned freudenstadt with no problem in a day, with a generous lunch break and on mostly back roads, so i would say go for it.

I'd agree with TwoDogs, I've done a route from Baden Baden similar to your planned one in way less than 8 hours.

Back
Top Bottom