North West 200

red rocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hoping to make my first trip to Ireland this year to the North West 200 in May.
Bit of a bugger really I was going Thursday but seems as if the road's closed for practise on Thursday 5 pm I doubt I can get to the campsite in Port Stewart from the ferry by then & don't really want to be setting up camp after 9 so looks like I'll be going Wednesday .
Anyway just wondered if anybody's got a recommended ride out from there for the Friday with a bit of scenery etc.

:beerjug: Ian

Here's a ride you might like

It's one of a set I am working on for a local biker tourism development project. Would appreciate feedback on appearance etc. as well as the ride itself when you do it.

This circuit has views, twisties, and sweepers. Plusa few mountains and the odd quiet straight road. Ands a 15 minute ferry crossing, a short visit to euroland and the chance to fill up with cheap petrol.

It's a class 120 mile circuit that takes in parts of counties Derry, Tyrone and Donegal using roads the locals keep quiet about because they want them all to themselves.

Start anywhere on the circuit – and it works well both clockwise and anti.

Greencastle is a little fishing village with pubs that will serve you tea or coffee. Consider stopping in historic Derry and walk the 1-mile long 17th century walls. There are challenging(i.e. dangerous) corners on the road from Newbuildings to Donemana – take special care there and think about dropping into the Sperrin Heritage Centre along the Glenelly Valley between Plumbridge and Draperstown.

Take all day and soak up the feel of the places. You can digress to Gortin and Omagh for even more brilliant twisties in a stunning setting and return via Newtonstewart. This diversion passes Gortin Glen Forest Park http://www.forestserviceni.gov.uk/our_forests/gortin_glen/gortin_glen.htm and the Ulster American Folk Park http://www.folkpark.com/ between Omagh and Newtonstewart

I'll put up a few more in a following message.

Attachments

• GSMap1.jpg
    GSMap1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 311
Thanks for that John definately try & give it a go is it a bridge or a ferry between Magilligan & Greencastle or am I going to get my feet wet.

:beerjug: Ian

Well glad you're living up to your reputation they reckon the Irish are a friendly sort :)

Don't for one minute expect they'll be on Garmin Mapsource probably why they're bringing out an update supposedly to include Ireland amongst others

If I was you I'd spend a day in Donegal just puttering about, and do this run in NI. 114 Miles but plenty to stop and see along the way

attachment.php

Garmin route.gdb

Attachments

• A GOOD RUN OUT.gdb
    100.5 KB · Views: 73
  • A GOOD RUN OUT.jpg
    A GOOD RUN OUT.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 384
Antrim coast run

Ian, you will not be disappointed with the NW200, I went for the first time 10 years ago and havn't missed since. Great craic as they say! The trip i like on a Friday is to take in the Antrim coast from Larne. The road runs dircetly alongside the sea and the scenery is breathtaking. It takes in lots of interestin place like the Giants Causeway, Carrick a reed bridge and some castles. As you get nearer to Portrush the atmosphere really picks up as you are mixing it with more and more bikes. Finish off at the start finish area for the full on pre race atmosphere.

As for the racing I always get onto the inside of the circuit which means you can move around between races and enjoy different perspectives of amazing speeds and shoulder to shoulder argy bargy. This event with the TT and MGP ranks in my absolute all time favourites. I am going wednesday 14.55 from Stranraer with some like minded loons. Riding Yellow 1200GS.

Have a great one. Spaggy :beer: :beer: :beer:

First Time Also

Hi Guys This will also be my first time at North West, going Wed Morn Riding Black Silver 1200, Hope to see u there and have one of these :beer:

Thanks for the info Spaggy I'm camping with the bmw club at Port Stewart so may see you about black 1150 GS probably looking lost :) still have got the garmin so better start sorting some routes .Getting there Wednesday myself from Cairnryan to Larne 12.55 .Apparently the site Hill Top is on the circuit so don't think I'll be able to move away from there on Race day.whether it's possible to walk to a better veiwing point I really have no Idea have you .
Got my tent out now to see if it leaks apparently it does rain occassionaly in Ireland they tell me .

:thumb Ian

TUNED IN said:
If I was you I'd spend a day in Donegal just puttering about, and do this run in NI. 114 Miles but plenty to stop and see along the way

attachment.php

Garmin route.gdb

Cheers. I just had a look at this route as Im heading to Portrush soon. I noticed you dont have the Eagles Rock viewpoint on the gdb file. Is this worth finding?

If you are at Hilltop it's in Portrush not Portstewart and it's not so much on the circuit but it in it....about a Half mile walk to the closest part of the circuit from you... Magheraboy chicane ;) you can cross roads at certain points of the circuit in between races.

Attachments

• hilltop.jpg
    hilltop.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 199
JohnC said:
Cheers. I just had a look at this route as Im heading to Portrush soon. I noticed you dont have the Eagles Rock viewpoint on the gdb file. Is this worth finding?

If it's a good day it's really worth going..it looks over Lough Foyle :thumb

Attachments

• A GOOD RUN OUT2.jpg
    A GOOD RUN OUT2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 198
Yap sems ya right well some bugger told me Port Stewart :eek: just looked here handy you happened to mention it :)

Cheers again for your help .

Now that route of yours in Garmin I take it my 2610 will work out which way it's supposed to be going I tend to go on one road & back on another so as not to get confused :

Back
Top Bottom