Suggestions for a route to Garmisch

pauly

We're going down to Garmisch for the biker meet in July and would like some suggestions for a route down there please. I've been down there for the last two years and have taken a route through Luxemburg and then the Autobahn through Stuttgart. Although this is quite a straight forward route, it can be a little boring. I've heard there is a nice route through the Black Forest, any suggestions? We will probably try and get as far as Metz on the first day (Thursday); we therefore need to be able to get from there to Garmisch comfortably in one day. Any recommendations for somewhere in the region of Metz would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Paul

Top tip - buy a Michelin map of the area - look for roads that have green snakes next to them - use those ones :thumb

The road next to the Donau / Danube looks to have some bits that are very twisty and very green :cool:

AFAIK the WOB route will be going via an overnight stop at Strasbourg ie motorway to there, and then a bit twistier afterwards.

John Armstrong said:
The road next to the Donau / Danube looks to have some bits that are very twisty and very green :cool:

It most certainly is very twisty and well worth a detour for a go on that superb bit of road.................done it maybe 5-6 times now and never get bored of it :clap :thumb

YOO

Boy o boy, I'd try to get as far as Strasbourg (area) on the first day, and from there you can go trough the Black Forrest in a South East direction, leaving the Black Forest somewhere around Villingen or Schwenningen.
From there you can take a short strip of motorway, just enough to make up for the time you'll probably lose on takin' picz in the Black Forrest :D
Serious, take the A81 motorway towards Lake Constance, follow the Lake on the North side untill the town of Lindau, that's the start of one of the most beautiful pieces of road I've ever done, the "Deutsche Alpenstrasse", which takes you towards Garmish, and even beyond to Berchtesgaden, where a certain A.H had a magnificent view on the surrounding mountains from his "Eagles nest"

From Strasbourg through the B. Forrest, via Lake Constance and the D. Alpenstrasse it's about 400km, so that's easy managable in one day.
Good luck, and have fun :rolleyes:

Grtz, Philip!

Thanks for replies.
Phluppe, can you give me some more road numbers so I can find your suggested route a bit easier on the map?
Thanks,
Paul

YOO

Ok, I'l give you some numbers, and explain the route I've got in mind, but I'm wondering if you're using a GPS or using maps, me personnaly, I'm only using maps, and I reccomend the Michelin 545 Regional for the bit in the Black Forrest, it's just soo easy using it and following the route.

Well, getting to Strasbourg isn't a problem I suppose, from there on you head to Kehl, the river Rhine is the border so Kehl is allready in Germany.
In Kehl, follow the motorway E52 going to the E52/E35, but leave when you're at the junction, and head for Oberkirch on route 28.
Continue till Löcherberg, it's 16km ('bout 10miles) past Oberkirch, and there take right (a smal street, leaving the village going straight up the hill) towards Harmersbach (OberH-, Zell am H-), follow the smal road till you reach route 33, from there stay on R33 for 36km, till Triberg, there take a right (route 500) to Furtwangen, and stay on this road for 27km, than, at a junction, take left, towards Donaueschingen (smal roads again, not havin' a number on the map :eek ) and continue straight on, following route 33 again until you reach the A81 motorway. Get on it, taking direction of Singen.
At Kreuz (which means junction) HEGAU take left towards Stockach and/or Uberlingen, aslong as you go North/West. Contineu straight when teh motorway changes into route 31, and continue on route 31 till you reach Lindau, but stay on R31, don't go into the center, but go straight, and take route 308, which is the Deutsche Alpenstrasse, and stay on it till Garmisch :)
I don't know if it's always mentionned, 'cause I didn't follow the Alpenstrasse far enough, but I guess (and hope) it's clear to you how to get to Garmisch from here, it's not that there are that many roads to choose from, just follow on the map (I'd get the Regional 546 aswel, it's really handy to be able to follow the roads with green serpentines next to.
There, I think you should be able to ge there now :D , and besides, when in the Black Forrest, you can't go wrong, al those roads are worth doing so don't worry, just follow a general direction, and that's it :nod

Grtz, Philip!

After reading Phluppe's previous brief description, I plotted what I thought it was in Mapsource.... then I got the idea of websearching on "Deutsche Alpenstrasse"... A page came right up with a map of the route from the left side under welcome, towns...

I was too far South, and made another route that follows the one from the website.. Let me know if you want the Mapsource file.

Al...

araspitfire said:
After reading Phluppe's previous brief description, I plotted what I thought it was in Mapsource.... then I got the idea of websearching on "Deutsche Alpenstrasse"... A page came right up with a map of the route from the left side under welcome, towns...

I was too far South, and made another route that follows the one from the website.. Let me know if you want the Mapsource file.

Al...

Yes please, Al, that would be great. :clap

My email address is p.a.russell@lineone.net

And many thanks, Philip. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom