Bastille day in France

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
I've just been lucky enough to get myself a pair of tickets to see Roger Waters at Magny-Cours race track on the w/e of the French Grad Prix and Bastille day (14th July).

I've a couple of questions that hopefully our French based members may be able to help with please.

1. Any reccomendations for a local hotel I can book in advance (pref. smal, cheap Auberge type hotel). I'm assuming accomodation will be hard to get around GP w/e?

2. I'll be travelling down on the Thursday, stopping half way to Magny-Cours and doing the reverse on the Saturday, getting the fery back on the Sunday.
Any idea what it's going to be like trying to get accomodation (pref. smal, cheap Auberge type hotel) over what will be 'Bastille w/e' - does France shut down for the w/e?

Many thanks
Andres

Don't know any acco that side of France.

As a tip, come over on the 13th to Fecamp. They have some 5-7,000 motorbikes going down the cliffs with torches.... nice sight !! Then to the beach for the motorbiker blessing...

Mike Werner said:
As a tip, come over on the 13th to Fecamp. They have some 5-7,000 motorbikes going down the cliffs with torches.... nice sight !! Then to the beach for the motorbiker blessing...

That sounds truly amazing! I will be over on the 13th but, unfortunatley, with a view to being below Paris (around Blois) that night.

Do you think it's likely that France will be on 'shut down' with accomodation hard to find over Bastille w/e?

Andres

I was in Antibes last Bastille Day...and foolishly attempted to ride the coast road to St.Tropez that evening......it was fecking chaos...!!!
MONSTER traffic jams and surging crowds through the towns.

The next few days I`d planned riding to Carcassonne and gradually heading home up the Bay of Biscay coast,but almost every accommodation was fully pre booked and the traffic,plus the massive queues at every service station, led to me high tailing it North to visit the Great War sites instead.

It may have been a bit worse because the Tour de France was also in the region,but it was worse than the shambolic lemming run on a UK Bank Holiday in a heatwave....and I`d never be in that situation again.

tarka said:
it was worse than the shambolic lemming run on a UK Bank Holiday in a heatwave....and I`d never be in that situation again.

Mmmmmm............thanks for that, I think ;)

Seriously though, cheers - was what I suspected :(

At least the gig should be good :)

Andres

Outtomunch said:
That sounds truly amazing! I will be over on the 13th but, unfortunatley, with a view to being below Paris (around Blois) that night.

Do you think it's likely that France will be on 'shut down' with accomodation hard to find over Bastille w/e?

Andres
Normally they don't travel during Bastille day, so hotels should be as full as they would be the week before. But if you're close to Magny, it's a different story.

bastille day

its my birthday on that day and i've got all rogers and floyds albums/cd's so I think that one of those tickets would be a nice birthday prezzie.

There's a large campsite at Magny-Cours , at the track and one between the track and town , there's washing facilitys and a lot af drunken Germans and English , never any trouble , I doubt you get booked up for any hotel now . :thumb

Bastille Day

Lucky enough to have celebrated B-Day in different parts of France over the last six years. It is a major celebration, often starting at breakfast time (your first drink of the day!!) and carrying on to a spectacular firework display in the evening. Enjoy the steet parties and various events - often differ from region to region

Cafes, resturants etc stay open but most other facilities close or open for reduced hours. If looking for a hotel, book in advance - Logis de France web site should direct your to comfortable, reasonably priced lodgings. Otherwise, campsites can usually squeeze you in.

Would recommend a day off the bike to relax and soak in the atmosphere.

Enjoy!! :beer: :thumb

Outtomunch said:

Andres
Accomodation
www.la-borde.com
Very good B&B
It's about 30 miles north of Blois

Just a thought, but depending on what time you're leaving Calais you can make Magny Cours in a day fairly easy if you take the motorway. No need for an overnight stop.

Logis de France, as already mentioned, are normally very reliable.

Cheers

Dick

Back
Top Bottom