SPIII or 2610?

Ted

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to spend a few weeks in Russia and down to the Black Sea eventually back up the Adriatic coast to Croatia and then through the usual Italy, Austria etc home. I have a SPIII with a couple of spare data cards also loaded the Garmin world map. Although slow and a bit of a pain to use if no computer available to program it, it’s rugged enough to cope. Would you recommend I change it for a new 2610 with its larger storage and faster processor and easier search. Just thinking of map storage if I decide to wander to far off the route stored maps I have on the SP. I recon I could get all the places I want to see on a 2610 but will have to keep swapping data cards on my SPIII
Any thoughts or advice gratefully accepted :thumb

Also any one makes a sun shade for a 2610? Or are they not needed like my SPIII.

I've just upgraded from an SPIII to a 2610 and the difference in recalculating routes etc is amazing. In the past, I used to pull in and wait for the GPS to recalculate a route (sometimes a minute or more) but the 2610 so far has not taken more than about 5 seconds to recalculate any route. :thumb

If you are confident with the SPIII you will probably find the 2610 a doddle to get used to, as most of the menus etc seem identical. There are a number of very useful features the 2610 has which the SPIII didn't, eg the 2610 can caculate a route from either your current position or another position you select, the 2610 allows via points to be prioritised, can select the quickest route between selected viapoints etc. I plan to geb a 2GB card, to put all of European City Navigator on it.

The only negative thing I have, is that the 2610 case doesn't seem as "bomb proof" as the SPIII, which felt tough enough to take a drop. I just hope I don't have to put it to the test. :D There is no internal battery, but the adaptor is easy to use.

As you may have guessed I'm quite impressed with the 2610 and can't imagine that I would ever need a more advanced one.

sunshade

touratech make a sunshade that fits the sp111 and probably the 2610, quite usefull for overhead sun, (mind you, dont know what other types of sun there are!) nick

Thanks Taff thats what I thought just needed a push. Will post my SPIII in for sale and see what happens. :thumb

I've just upgraded to a 2610 from a BMW navigator 1 ( street pilot III )

Much easier to use on the move, and a hell of a lot faster.

The SPIII is very slow compared with the 2610 (and that's now slow against some of the newer Garmin offerings).

But, if you have spare datacards, it might all be of little more than academic interest if most of your tour is on WorldMap terrain. You can't 'autoroute' on WorldMap, so processor speed makes little difference!

Greg

Thanks all. Have just put my SPIII in the for sale section along with all the kit. then its off to look for a cheap 2610.
Forgot to mention Steptoe. I was in London visiting my daughter on Monday 20th Feb on A4 (west cromwell rd) about 11.30/12. A GS went past in the traffic scattering scooters etc. looked a bit of a grubby bike and had the shite bag on. If you were cursing some one blowing there horn as you passed It was me. :D I'll get you next time. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom