That's it, I went and did it

NorthernBoy

Goood morning,

I have been dithering for quite a while now, and have just taken the plunge. I have bought a shiny yellow 55 plate ex-demo GS with all the options that looked nice (alarm, topbox, chrome, white lenses, ABS, heated grips).

I don't get to pick it up until next week, but I am feeling very excited. This is not a feeling that I get often nowadays.

Finding this site is a bit of a two edged sword, mind. Although there is a lot of helpful stuff, it obviously lets me know about a big fraction of the problems that people have with thir bikes, so keeps the little voice of doubt chugging away in the background.

It took months to realise exactly which bike I wanted, and, as recently as last week, I had decided to get an FZ6. Once I found the one I liked, though, I rode it, and it just didn't push the right buttons for me. A KTM 950 adventure was great fun, but had terrible brakes. Bad enough to put me off. Had the dealer said that I tried a bad example, I would have delayed and tried the new 990, but he pretty much said that they were as good as they get.

So, here I am. I live in London, work in a bank, and am in my 30s. I only found this forum after I signed the papers, so am a little nervous about reading threads like the one where people say what they paid for their bikes. One thing I have noticed with the GS is that the secondhand market is almost enturely made up of dealers. This makes it very hard to know where I could have paid had I haggled harder (a lot of Japanese bikes are sold private, and there are always a few who really do advertise at their "quick sale" price, giving a good idea of how cheap you can get one if you haggle hard and shop around).

Anyway, it is done now.

So, to get to the question I wanted to ask (well, probably the first of many), can anyone recommend any bits to give it a bit better protection from the elements? I am thinking of installing a hugger and a front mudguard extension, just to reduce the quantity of water and roadcrap sprayed on the shiny bits. Anything else I should consider, and any advice for were to best buy these bits?

Cheers.

A warm welcome to you. Nippy Normans and Motor Works are good places for bits, I can't help much with which bits as mine's an 1150.

Cheers
Dave

Hiya Northern Boy

Nice intro.

Welcome to the site...and welcome to GSing generally :thumb

Don`t worry about any problems you may read on here...there`s a hell of a lot of Registered Users...and most people only publicise problems rather than good things.
Conversely there probably isn`t a single GS related query that won`t get a satisfactory answer from at least one of us in a short time.

Just get your bike and use it ... and enjoy it :beerjug:

To answer your first questions,try a few specific 'Forum Searches' or just scroll through the relevent Forums...

Thanks guys.

I am trying to work out what the first trip will be. Other than bringing it home, I think it might just be a short one down to Brighton, just to get used to it. After that, maybe up North (I am from Northumberland originally).

Just going to break myself in gently.

NorthernBoy said:
Thanks guys.

I am trying to work out what the first trip will be. Other than bringing it home, I think it might just be a short one down to Brighton, just to get used to it. After that, maybe up North (I am from Northumberland originally).

Just going to break myself in gently.

Hi and welcome. If you fancy a trip "up north" dont hesitate to get in touch.

Back
Top Bottom