Clothing for June & July - Alps and Dolomites

samwise

Reaction score
I'm off to Cortina and the Dolomites in mid-July and, prior to that, Avignon and Annecy areas in mid-June - what sort of clothing should I be looking at for those?

Air stuff for Avignon area - or just normal wear because it'll get cool up in the Dolomites and Alps?

I've currently got the HG Air Pants and also an Akito Python jacket and trousers, although I may be changing the Akito stuff for the new HG Tuareg Tracker :nenau

Any ideas?

Last July in the Alps and Dolomites I experienced day after day of cold weather (10C in valleys, much colder at altitude), rain, sleet and even some snow in the passes. On the other hand you could experience a heatwave.

Tim

Exactly as Tim says, those Dolomite passes can be cold and snowy in July

This is the Pordoi Pass last year, during the first week of July (Between BMW Garmisch Party and Stella Alpina)

Plus the following weekend ...........the Stella had 2-3 inches of snow

Cordura with zip out liners will be your best bet.

Last time I came through the French Alps in late June the temperaure varied from about 4C at the top of the Petit St Bernard to about 30C at Annecy.

If I remember correctly last June was the hottest month of the year down here, one hour south of Avignon, got well into the 30s. That is very unusual though, June is usually lovely.

Year before last Avignon at Easter was 27 c last year 17th of April it snowed! and stuck at 9C. June around Avignon is generally a warm month with temps around 25C, July rises to high 20's low 30's. Ventoux at 1909 metres can still be at or around 7/9C in late June and feeling a lot colder on the bike. I wear a combination of Voyager Jacket with zip out liner and Toureg trousers with the same. Decent glove liners dont take up much space, nor do a couple of pairs of socks and a neck warmer. Enjoy the trip.

Hmm, maybe my HG Air trousers with some lined overtrousers for if it gets a bit nippy in June, and that will cover the Provence bit as well as Rhone-Alpes. :nenau

For the Dolomites, looks like I'll need my normal Cordura stuff (or new - good excuse :bounce1 ) and if it gets hot, I'll just have to lose a few pounds sweating it out :D

That sound right?

I did the French Alps in August 2004 and I went with my normal fabric/leather HG Maxwell jacket and leather jeans.

Although warm and dry, the high passes are chilly. The only tme I felt a chump was in Nice on thelast day when it was 35deg on the Promenade des Anglais and I was in..... EDZ summer shirt, that jacket and leathers..... MRs D in her more expensive HG with Goretex jacket was even cold on the really high passes as we sped along.... at least we made do without the zip-in linings!

Apart from that last day, generally pleasant in the HG stuff....

samwise said:
Hmm, maybe my HG Air trousers with some lined overtrousers for if it gets a bit nippy in June, and that will cover the Provence bit as well as Rhone-Alpes. :nenau

For the Dolomites, looks like I'll need my normal Cordura stuff (or new - good excuse :bounce1 ) and if it gets hot, I'll just have to lose a few pounds sweating it out :D

That sound right?

Last year riding to/from Croatia in July I wore a cordura/goretex jacket with leather trousers.

Once I got to the Adriatic coast the temperatures were in the mid 30s. I firmly believe comfort is a big factor when it comes to safety. Therefore, I much prefer to reduce the chance of me making a mistake through dehydration or lack of concentration than being protected for all eventualities. I rode in Croatia wearing helmet, gloves, jeans, trainers, T shirt and loads of factor 35. It was fabulous.

Note to safety nazis: it's my choice so FOYRNB

I was in the Alps and Dolomites in early July last year as part of my trip to the BMW Biker meet. A mixed bag of weather including some torrential mountain thunderstorms and a day of persistent rain where even two pairs of Goretex gloves gave up. Were also some lovely days but not particularly hot compared to some of my other summer trips. I tend to pack a light fleece and this was used on a few days.

I use a Streetguard suit for all year use and just tend to layer up or down depending on temperature. This approach has works from well below zero to 90 degrees. The Streetguard suit also saves mucking around with pop in Goretex liners on some BMW suits.

As Tim rightly stated, it's a bit hard to predict. July last year:

28273627-M.jpg

Plenty of removeable layers based on a Cordura jacket with vents for higher temperatures. Take a waterproof & windproof oversuit for bad weather at altitude.

Hei Somewise, you got the right advise about what to wear. When you are in Cortina I'll be pleased to share some good roads with you and some good food. Call me, +39348twofivesixsevenfourfournine, I live there. ;)

Possu said:
As Tim rightly stated, it's a bit hard to predict. July last year:

---Snip----

Plenty of removeable layers based on a Cordura jacket with vents for higher temperatures. Take a waterproof & windproof oversuit for bad weather at altitude.

Where was that?

This is the Arlberg in the Tyrol in June 04. The HG gear did the job at higher altitudes.

ArlbergPass.jpg

Invicta Moto said:
Where was that?

This is the Arlberg in the Tyrol in June 04. The HG gear did the job at higher altitudes.

ArlbergPass.jpg
Sorry, our PC is on strike at the moment - only found your question five minutes ago.

The photo was taken at last year's Stella Alpina, just two kilometers below the Col de Sommeiller...

Btw, your picture has disappeared. :nenau Would you mind to share/post it again?

I was in the Alps first week of July last year. With just a Cordura jacket (thermal lining removed) and a couple of thin long sleeved t shirts (ski base layers) I was comfortable up on the passes, but down in the valleys I had to ride with the zips open as it was so hot. I have decided to take thin layers this year, with no lining to my jacket, and also take a thin Chilli heated waistcoat - hopefully that way I will be able to stay comfortable when it is hot, but warm up quick with the heated jacket if need be, without the bulk of a jacket lining.

Back
Top Bottom