Wiring query for 2610

Top Cat

Hello folks. I am new to the site but understand that you are the fount of knowledge for GPS stuff particulalrly Garmin related so here goes.

I need to wire up a mono earpiece in my helmet for voice directions from my 2610. In order decouple myself from the bike I want to fit an in line 3.5mm mono jack plug and socket to the standard Garmin wiring loom for sound. I have removed the old 2.5mm socket to be faced with four wires coloured white, black, red and brown. Could someone with a modicum of wiring knowledge please advise which of these wires attaches to which terminals in the jack plug socket unit?? The terminals consist of one large outer one which appears to be attached to the body of the socket and two centre ones which are insulated from the body of the socket. Do I have to double up some wires are just not use them? Sorry to appear a numpty but when the kind man at Adventure Motorcycling said it would be easy as there were only two wires to worry about he did not tell me there were 4 to choose from. :nenau

The earpiece does have two wires and from the old jack plug it would appear that the black one goes to the outer terminal on the jack plug while the white wire is attached to the centre insulated terminal post of the jack plug.

I know I must sound like a complete thicko but now I have got this far I am determined to finish the job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :bow :bow

TC

Top Cat said:
I have removed the old 2.5mm socket to be faced with four wires coloured white, black, red and brown.

Is this the Garmin cable you're referring to or the BMW cable that plugs into the loom? If the latter, which bike?

Greg

why not experiment - you have white, black, red and brown, so listen on W/Bl, then W/R, then W/Br, then Bl/R, Bl/Br, then R/Br? It's only 6 combinations.

If you don't want to risk shorting something out, stick a voltmeter over the wires instead and make her speak, then when something registers try listening in on that pair. A voltmeter's high resistance will stop a short from blowing stuff up.

Personally I'd have thought you'd have been better off with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. That's what I've done. However, what I don't understand is: why does replacing the 2.5mm socket with a 3.5mm plug and socket (???) decouple you from the bike (and what exactly do you mean by "decouple" anyway)? If you're talking about replacing the wire to the helmet with some kind of wireless connection, changing the socket won't make life any easier. Perhaps a photo of what you've done would be in order.

Its the Garmin wiring kit not a BMW one. Does that help? My bike is (and I wil say this quietly on this site) a VFR 800

TC

Top Cat said:
My bike is .. a VFR 800

TC

I deffo can't help then!

Greg

(PS I really don't know what colours are inside the Garmin lead!!)

Yeah done it. For anyone who may be interested Garmin use common cabling for both power and sound. So you use the red and black as usual for feed and earth and the white and brown wires are for sound. Simple really and I am delighted with the results.. That very nice lady hiding in the 2610 unit whispers or shouts depending on volume into my helmet without any crackles, distortion or anything. Well chuffed but thanks everyone for your guidance. :clap :clap :beerjug: :thumb

TC

Back
Top Bottom