Converting a 16M Memory card to a 128M memory card

cecilthecat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK this is a question for all you tecky kids out there

I have a 16 Meg Garmin memory card and also a 32 Meg card and being the inquisitive type popped both open as I am sure that you are able to easily upgrade the cards to more memory.
The 16meg card has a Samsung K9F2808U0M-YCBO Nand Flash memory device on board, where as the 32 meg card has a Samsung K9F5608U0A-YCBO which as you may have guessed is a 32 meg NAND flash.

The PCB on both cards is identical and both chips come from the same family. Now the same family has some other chips including the K9K1G08U0M-YCB0 which is the 128 meg device, it looks to have the same pinout and package size as the others and the spec is the same other than the total memory.
So this device should be a direct replacement for the devices in either the 16 or 32 meg cards.

It would be fairly easy for someone with the correct tools to swop the devices as it is a surface mount package an can be changed using a hot air tool eg Hako and tweezers with a wee bit of flux.

OK here is the hitch does anyone know of a good component supplier in the UK as I have tried both RS components and Farnell but with no luck. If I can get hold of some then I will have a go with one of my cards and let you know.

Simon

Good effort. What would happen, I wonder, if you were able to replace the chip with another with, say, 256 or 512Mb - do you think the base unit would cope? I'd think it was probably designed for future expansion....

The cost of flash memory for Garmin is something that's always annoyed me - I just bought a 64Mb SD card for my Hand PC for £27 delivered.............. :mad:

MikeO

To make sure that I am on the right track can somebody with a 128Meg card whip it open and check that the chip inside is a Samsung K9K1G08U0M-YCB0.

It is really easy to get the card apart just remove the small philips screw and the case just comes apart, the number is on the top of the chip.

If the chip is the same then they cost £22.80 and will be fairly easy to replace.

Simon

My 128

Just had a peek at mine. It would appear it's a bit different cos mine is a Samsung K9F1208UOM-YCBO.

Gazza

I'll look into it a bit more, but if that is the case then the K9F5608U0A-YCBO chip will give a capacity of 256Meg.
I'll download the data sheets tomorrow and take a proper look

Cheers

Simon

Not 256Mb but double tis possible

Can't remember where and will surf later but there is a site which offers this capability.

Unfortunately I seem to remember that there was a limitation. Perhaps it was to 128Mb cause I was looking for an increase to 256Mb.

Gazza

I've taken a second look and the K9F1208U0M-YCB0 chip that you have is a 64M device, are there two chips in the card as I noticed on my PCB that there is the pads etc for a second device on the underside ?

Cheers

Simon

From looking at the website this guy is fitting the second chip on the other side of the board in the spare position, and from going on the chip fitted to Gazza's it looks as if Garmin are fitting 2 x 64 meg chips instead of 1 x 128M

I checked all of the specs sheets again today and it does look as if the chips can be used as a direct replacement, so in theory you could fit 2 x 128M chips giving a 256M card although I'm not sure whether the Garmins can address that much memory.

Back
Top Bottom